TJ: Rockets Build - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-09-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Default TJ: Rockets Build

Hi everyone, this is my first experience with Jeeps and I really look forward to using this thing for what it was built for. Basic run down is;

2001 TJ
4.5" Rubicon long arm lift
Adjustable Rhanchos
35"
Regeared with 4.88's
Twin locked
Chromolly front end
Plus a bunch of other stuff

It came with basically bald tyres, so I put some new ones on and really look forward to having some fun in it.

"That's a pretty permanent solution to a temporary problem"
Old 15-09-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 169 Times in 134 Posts

Nice rig where are you located?

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 15-09-2016
Established Member

Southern Sydney

Old 15-09-2016
Established Member

Well, I've got to say that having owned this for about 2 months, my faith in the human race has taken a beating. Why do people feel the need to misrepresent the truth?

The previous owner off the TJ told me it had a new heavy duty clutch in it about 2 years ago, but has only completed about 20,000km, so should be good. Well after driving it the 600km home and discovering a pretty solid clutch shudder and then eventually the failure of the throw out bearing. The clutch was out of adjustment and was right on the top. I'm guessing the throw out bearing was never disengaging and 6 odd hours of 100km/hr sorted it out. Any way pulled the clutch out to have a look and woe and behold there s a brass button clutch in there (why??) that is worn down to the rivets. That dosen't happen in 20,000km. So new clutch and machined flywheel later and it's good as new.

2nd issue. The rear axle was fully rebuilt apparently, but had a twisted spline. Well this turned out to be a bent axle. Also had a leaking pinion seal which upon further investigation was due to a groove being warn in the yoke. This doesn't happen overnight. So looking further and pulling the rear diff cover off I find teeth missing on the crown wheel, but no bits in the bottom of the diff, so it had been cleaned out and reassembled like this. WTF!! So I fill it with oil and decide to just keep driving it to failure and worry about it then. Well one trip later the pinion bearing lets go. Take it to a diff shop who strips it to find most of the bearings are buggered and bearings have spun in the locker and mangled the housing. So now it's getting a new locker, crown wheel, pinion, yoke, seals, and full set of bearings. So much for a complete rebuild. While its there they'll adjust the pinion angle as its way out. Rear shocks also hit the bottom of the spring carrier and have pretty heavily dented the shock. This I saw and have added to the "to do" list.

Oh and the front pinion bearing is also leaking, but it can just continue to leak, I'm not in the mood to see what's in there. Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

Oh yeah, it also came with a rebuilt steering pump and steering box, well now it won't steer at idle, needs 12-1300rpm to steer, so something else to fix when it gets back from the diff shop. Again so much for "just been rebuilt"!

When I picked it up it was running internal bead locks. I was told that 1 of the rims had no tube in it as it had a puncher. The TJ also came with a new set of rims. I agonised a lot over getting another tube and running the internal bead locks or just putting the new rims on. In the end I decided to go with the new rims. Good choice, as when the tyre shop stripped the old tyres off only ONE other rim had a tube in it, so 3 rims were missing tubes!!!

Oh yeah, the custom exhaust, is just a standard exhaust with a simple sports muffler in it, hardly custom. Not really concerned by this, but just more misreprentation.

It really pisses me off, that people mislead you like this. PS it's got an Ausjeepoffroad.com.au sticker on the back of it, so unfortunately it's come from someone on here....

I do really enjoy the TJ, but I'm pretty concerned as to what else I'm going to find that was fully rebuilt, but I suspect has just had a Dulux rebuild.

Last edited by Rocket55; 15-09-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 15-09-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

I feel your pain Rod. As we talked about before, I copped the same from an A/H aka Shannon Moir ( from Melbourne), whom would stake his business reputation on the rig I brought from him.......... Yeah well his name is crap as far as I am concerned.............. Some folks do not give a damn about honesty as long as they on sell their problems they are happy....... But I am slowly getting the TJ back into a decent working rig so at least I know if I someday have to sell the TJ, I can do so with pride with the work that has been done on it (not that I intend to sell it )..........

Last edited by SteveT; 22-09-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 16-09-2016
Established Member

Yep, we had a pretty good discussion about is Steve.i've already built a couple of pretty solid rigs in the past at great expense and this time I went down the "bought, not built" path to try and save a bit of money, well guess that's not going to happen. Like you I'll continue to slowly keep fixing this thing up and eventually somebody will get a pretty nice TJ. Like you, I think we have very different standards to some others out there as to what constitutes in good condition and working.

In you case, nice and straight, doesn't mean except for the damage it sustained from recently being on its side, plus a number of other things and in my case I obviously have a different definition of what a new clutch and fully rebuilt rear axle means....

Got to mention a big shout out to Zork who helped me out with a new set of chromolly axles for the rear diff and a couple of front seats, great honest and friendly guy to deal with.

Last edited by Rocket55; 16-09-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2016
Established Member

Rear diff rebuild complete, Chromolly axles in and a couple of stickers on the back to round it out

Last edited by Rocket55; 09-10-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply