Appcar FCA or OBD Jscan Scan app - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
When you drill right down into to the ‘health’ of your ZF 8 speed individual clutch packs, and so forth, you know you have a good reader.
I'll have to have a look and see if the Alpha App goes down there, never even knew you could..

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 09-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Correct, most don’t realise the depth you can interrogate the system because many accept the cheap marketing of the these readers and not their fault. First the hardware must be capable of all data protocols in use by Jeep and others then next the ability of the software development to take advantage of the units. I have a popular generic OBD2 as well and in the past a $2K Autel Unit. With Autel, the software was being limited under license over time unless big dollars were handed over so ended up with the MX+ as the best compromise of the bunch.
That's some good insight on these adapters and I didn't know earlier it was the case. I might try my way up from a new current generic OBD2 and then if I really need to, go for a MX+ one day. I am not by any means going to be an advanced user tweaking engine or drivetrain like parameters But I agree it is good to have the ability to see everything in depth if need be.
Old 09-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 235 Times in 132 Posts

Oops Drover, was just manually entering commands strings through the MX+ dongle to cough up the auto response data given I could do this with easily with Autel, did not use Alpa OBD for this but will have a peek again at that application when I get a chance. Should have clarified that bit. Suffice to say I was really impressed with the diagnostics on the ZF. Jeep is in the shed awaiting a tranny pan as I believe I have the cracked Drain plug issue. Will post a pic of that in the other thread when I pull it out over the weekend.

Last edited by Mousie; 09-06-2023 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,901 Times in 2,308 Posts

Quote:
Oops Drover, was just manually entering commands strings through the MX+ dongle to cough up the auto response data given I could do this with easily with Autel, did not use Alpa OBD for this but will have a peek again at that application when I get a chance. Should have clarified that bit. Suffice to say I was really impressed with the diagnostics on the ZF. Jeep is in the shed awaiting a tranny pan as I believe I have the cracked Drain plug issue. Will post a pic of that in the other thread when I pull it out over the weekend.
It will take me awhile to get motivated to check it out, I'm at the stage of a needs base, nowadays if its all working I leave it alone.. While I can see a need for some of it, most have no idea what it means or how to use a spanner let alone no what the gauges tell them.............. most of my discoveries of something wrong is because of simple observation of gauges and what the engine is telling me via my bum on seat........when you have had to fix things yourself for years these traits evolve..........

I will be wary of tranny pan from now on for sure, made a note to self, "don't lay under drain plug when checking it, unless in a rain coat ", damn near drowned under 4lts of BMV..... ..... wish I could remember if I checked tension when I changed it last time or not....... if I DiY next time I won't touch the bluddy thing.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 10-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Just found an Android tablet at home and thought I give my old OBD2 BT adapter a go again because I read iPhones cant recognise older adapters. And to my surprise the Android tablet was able to recognise the adapter and it all connected up! Tried JScan but that thing won't change a thing without me having to buy a licence per VIN. But I could see the parameters I could change had I bought the licence. Havent tried the AlphaOBD demo yet but pretty much know both these apps will do simple parameter changes for me if I bought them.

Only thing now is I am divided whether I should pay for JScan (which only lets you scan one VIN per licence) or AlphaOBD which is one payment and as many vehicles you want. Both are specific to FCA vehicles only I guess anyway. Only got 1 Jeep at home.

I know there are lots of people online saying AlphaOBD is the way to go and then some say JScan is tailored to Jeep (maybe good marketing?) And you guys only use one and cannot comment much about the other too. Will have to do my extensive research and see where I go
Old 10-06-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,289 Times in 741 Posts

Neither are JEEP specific...you may have misinterpretted the info...the guys say that either will read JEEP codes and can enter all the modules, where as some readers dont have that ability....I dont even have a scanner or app but I read with interest the input from members willing to pass on their knowledge.....members dont prefer one over the other on a performance basis....they choose to use either to suit their own uses and needs....do some more searching on the forum and will find all the knowledge and differences you are looking for as far as readers and scanners, it really is a one stop shop full of owner experience....cheers

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 10-06-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
Neither are JEEP specific...you may have misinterpretted the info...the guys say that either will read JEEP codes and can enter all the modules, where as some readers dont have that ability....I dont even have a scanner or app but I read with interest the input from members willing to pass on their knowledge.....members dont prefer one over the other on a performance basis....they choose to use either to suit their own uses and needs....do some more searching on the forum and will find all the knowledge and differences you are looking for as far as readers and scanners, it really is a one stop shop full of owner experience....cheers
Yeah I should have said more FCA specific these apps. I agree this comes down to personal preference the users have with their own adapters/apps. Definitely doing my research on this forum and other places online to see. I am going to be a pretty basic user just wanting to customise settings at this stage.