Premium or Budget Jeep Tyres? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-04-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Premium or Budget Jeep Tyres?

Been some articles today, when I stumbled upon this - http://techblog.cosmobc.com/2016/02/...-tyres-matter/, made me think though it's not about Jeep or 4x4, for me honestly I still prefer premium tyre than budget, since I believe that premium tyre are much worth it to use than budget tyres that will just work for quite some time, or, yeah, I dunno, just my thoughts, any insights about this?
Old 29-04-2016

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Doesn't matter how good the vehicle is if you skimp on the tyres. To me it's about value, not price. A $150 tyre that feels like you're driving on ice anytime it rains is terrible value compared to a $300 tyre that stays composed in the same conditions.
Old 29-04-2016
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

And premium tyres will usually last a lot longer
Old 29-04-2016
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Tyres are something that I normally don't scrimp on as I've always owned performance cars. The last thing you want is a modified V8 or turbo sliding off the road in the wet.

Having said that, I went cheap on the muddys for my JK because I didn't want to spend big bucks only to find they aren't what I wanted or need. I did a fair bit of research and read a few reviews before I went with the ones I bought.

I was worried about how they'd handle in the wet thinking that if they were anything like the ones I had on my 4Runner they would swap ends everytime I'd pulled up in the rain. It did this a few times on the missus in Sydney traffic.

I have to say though that the Comforser CF3000s I bought are great in the wet and that I'm loving them so much I'm buying a set for the TJ and more than likely the camper trailer as well.

So there are good cheap tyres out there, it just takes a bit of research to find them.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 29-04-2016
Trail Twister

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

Many different brands of tyres are often made in the same factory. Some "cheap" brands of yesterday are now premium brands. I know of some retailers who won't stock Coopers. I've had premium brand tyres on my work ute that were awful. My latest cheap set have been the best. There are some horrible, cheap and nasty tyres out there. All cars are a little different to what suits them.
What is worse? A worn set of "premium" tyres or a newer set of cheapies?
I love my cheap tyres on my Jeep ATM.

Last edited by rustynuts; 29-04-2016 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 29-04-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 169 Times in 134 Posts

I recon you want mid range as with 4x4 its getting the right line rather than smashing the throttle and unless you only use it as a comp rig the tyres will wear quicker

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 29-04-2016
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Coming from a place where tyres staying inflated can mean the difference between life and death (open speed limits, unfenced roads, bush tracks hundreds of km from the next service) I prefer to spend money on them. The health and wellbeing of myself and my family may be at stake.

If you're in mobile reception of a new tyre go as cheap as you are prepared to replace on the fly.
Post New Thread  Reply