tirerack - anybody used them? - Page 12 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-12-2011
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Bob Jane as a general rule will be no better or worse than anyone else as they are franchised so in effect each is an individual business. The franchising model these days does not gaurantee consistent service from a name brand so you may as well be dealing with joe average independant business. What the franchise model should give you hopefully is a main controller to voice dissatisfaction. At least that still seems to work through the likes of Pedders the way they watch their individual stores.

On a side note I've been chasing new rims for my WJ and in a suitable offset there is not a lot available. Found a couple of rims in US some of which noted dealers here in Aus. I've seen one of those dealers advertising the rims for 6 stud fitment online for $1800 for set of 4. I emailed them and the other dealer in Aus 3 weeks ago, still waiting for response. Ordered through a US retailer and got the set of 5 to my door in 6 days (at this time of year) for $1260. Gotta love the support offered to local purchasers. WE all talk about supporting local businesses, how about the talk of support for local consumers.
Old 22-12-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
I just got a quote on 5 x Goodyear Duratrac 285/70 17's for the JK from Tirerack. In stock, delivery estimated at about 3 to 5 days by FedEx.

The initial viewing was very promising, as was expecting around $465 locally and the tire rack price was $265 each at tirerack - thats $1000 cheaper!

Just got the quote today - $608 freight for a total of $1933 delivered to the door. However, also subject to GST and customs fees, should be no duty as they are US made, plus fitting and balancing.

After GST and fitting, will prob end up saving about 10%, and have no local warranty.

Think I will wait til they become available in Australia - hopefully early next year.
If you change your mind and do order, you'll be better off ordering in two lots to stay under 1K. They will still hit you with GST and Fedex with fees acting as a release agent for customs. I paid 408$ for GST + fees. But no duty for tires.
Old 18-09-2012
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

I've posted this in the JK forum also as there was a topic on custom fees but I'm posting it also here for the Grand Cherokee people and into this thread as I think that the tyres rack up a lot of $$$. There was an article in an online newspaper about lowering the current $1000 GST threshold: http://www.theage.com.au/national/on...908-25lex.html

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 09-10-2012

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

tire rack are awesome as far as price and delivery (inside 5 working days)mate has an HSV Clubsport R8 that Bridgestone wants an arm and a leg for tyres in OZ tire rack were able to sell ship and deliver 2 rear tyres for the price of 1 here from Bridgestone Australia Having said that Michelins to suit my WK2 (265 60 1 Hp tour are $445 locally "mates rates" and only $240 on tire rack + shipping etc. BUT as I can put it this way
WE all want Australian wages(have you bothered to check minimum wages in USA?)
BUT we all want to pay their prices - DOESN'T work that way!
SAME as everything being manufactured OS and them air freighted into Australia time we all realized you cant have it both ways
Old 09-10-2012
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 169 Times in 108 Posts
Default Compare the wages and you would be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketrod1967 View Post
tire rack are awesome as far as price and delivery (inside 5 working days)mate has an HSV Clubsport R8 that Bridgestone wants an arm and a leg for tyres in OZ tire rack were able to sell ship and deliver 2 rear tyres for the price of 1 here from Bridgestone Australia Having said that Michelins to suit my WK2 (265 60 1 Hp tour are $445 locally "mates rates" and only $240 on tire rack + shipping etc. BUT as I can put it this way
WE all want Australian wages(have you bothered to check minimum wages in USA?)
BUT we all want to pay their prices - DOESN'T work that way!
SAME as everything being manufactured OS and them air freighted into Australia time we all realized you cant have it both ways
Michelin tyres are manufactures in France, not the USA.

The most current figures I could find were from 2009. The lowest basic minimum wage in Australia was $20,027 whilst at the same time in France it was 17,701 Euro, or converted in Australian dollars, $22,409.

Kinda blows the concept out of the water of higher wages must equal higher sales price.

A few months ago I was able to go on a tour of the ARB factory in Kilsyth. Whilst there I learnt that about 95% of the products sold in Australia from ARB are made here. But bullbars, canopies and some other items for the export market, USA, Saudi Arabia, Europe etc are actually made in Thailand. That's how they can be cheaper on those items. But when youo have a look at items like ARB air compressor that can sell for up to 25% less overseas whilst still be manufactured here you have to ask why the huge mark up.

Economies of scale can only be bought into the equation when the product is designed, developed and manufactured in the countries they are sold in and are exclusive to that country.
I buy a lot of Nikon camera gear from the US because it's much cheaper. B&H cameras have a "bricks and mortar" store in New York, not only on line but they are still much cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 09-10-2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yes Michelin is a French Company originally but this following statement is from there website.

U.S. Operations

Michelin North America is a $7.25 billion dollar a year company operating 18 plants in 16 locations and employs 22,270 people. It manufactures and sells tires for airplanes, automobiles, farm equipment, heavy duty trucks, motorcycles, bicycles and the space shuttle. Michelin manufactures tires in six states: Alabama, Indiana, Ohio, Oklahoma, North Carolina and South Carolina. In addition, there are three plants in Nova Scotia, Canada and one plant in Queretaro, Mexico. Two plants specialize in the manufacturing of semi-finished goods taking raw materials and turning them into components for the plants that produce tires and one plant strictly produces synthetic rubber. Finished goods are produced in sixteen plants, two sites produce retreads for the trucking and one site produces retreads for the aircraft industry. Michelin Maps and Guides also produce road atlases, road maps and travel guides for all the major cities in North America.
Old 09-10-2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alabama has no min. wage but here is what I am talking about
Indiana Minimum Wage Rates

INDIANA

Future Effective Date

Basic Minimum Rate(per hour)

Premium Pay
After Designated Hours 2

Daily

Weekly

(Applicable to employers of 2 or more employees)

$7.25

40 hour week

i am not saying we get a "fair" deal I hate being ripped off BUT how about this
freight on brake pads would be stuff all
WK2 rear pads QTD $280 a set front OR rear from my dealer go to MOPAR.com and RRP is something in the order of $135 Front $85 Rear SO CHRYSLER AUSTRALIA are no better than any other corporation selling items in OZ all they do is send them over in a container( by the way if they run out of oil filters for CRD 3 lt in WK2 and fuel filters imagine they have not thought about brake pads yet!
Post New Thread  Reply