Different wheel sizes for WJ/WG 2004 Grand Cherokee Ltd diesel. - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-06-2015
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

The tyre question is as long as a piece of string. AS far as type, I ran M/T's exclusively for years as my only tyre, loved them and had no issues. Many hate them on road. Now I run M/T ATZ P3 but they are the 4 rib so better off road than the old 5 rib. YOU need to decide what YOU do most of and pick what suits that driving. You will get a different opinion on type and brand from just about everyone on here. First up pick a known brand that meets your budget and you shouldn't go wrong. Hankooks are pretty good for example, Hyflungs etc maybe not so. Many find the budget brands do not get decent mileage so in the end are not really that cheap. I didn't necessarily need my mud tyres all that often in reality but I was happy to compromise in that direction. Now I see no point, maybe I grew up.

What you really need to do is get on one of the tyre calculators (google there are heaps) and compare what sizes are what. The rim size is irrelevant, you need to look at the overall diameter. You mention the 265/75x16 which is the same size as the 265/70x17 which you already discounted.

There is some info here about tyre sizes and lifts http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=47462

Unless you want to put up with some rubbing and/or start trimming the front bumper etc you're better off not going to big if you don't intend to lift it.
Old 14-06-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi Fester, thank you for your info, I just checked the 265/75/16 with the tyre calc I used, and found that I had put in a typo, so you are right, so I will have to rule that size out as well.
I did find some real cheap tyres called Gripmax 245/70/17 for about $155 fitted but as I could not find any reviews or any info on them anywhere on the web, I decided against those, that alarm bell in my head is ringing! So whilst the price is great I really have a bad feeling about those.

For myself, I hardly do any off road driving let alone mud, but on the odd occasion I do, I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere bogged in a little bit of mud just because I had the wrong tyre type on and my rubber got slicked up and wouldn't clear.

Which so far leaves me with the choices of the RF10 A/T,which will fit standard or else the RT03 or the MT764, both in the 245/75R17 sizes, but need to get smaller JK rims, assuming all the offsets etc are the same in the JK rims.

"Wrench" mentioned in an earlier post that he had used 255/65r17 mud tyre on his Jeep without problems or rubbing so I sent him a PM to get more details, not sure which Jeep he drives but I will look to see what M/T's are available in that size.
Old 15-06-2015
No Winching

Mine had evidence of rubbing when I got it with 265/65x17 and 2" lift. When I put the 265/70x17 with a 2.5" lift it was the same but they also hit the wings of the ARB bulbar. I had to modify it. The spare in 65 series did fit in the wheel well when flat.
Beware that most of the 65 series tyres are passenger not LT.

You also know the tow rating of the diesel is actually 3360kg don't you.
Old 15-06-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I run General Grabber AT2 at 245/70/17 and been very happy with them. They have an aggressive pattern but are only AT's and are nice on road. I don't have a lift and they will rub a bit at full flex. Very happy with their traction.
Old 15-06-2015
Established Member

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi Fester, I have the genuine Mopare tow hitch and there is a face plate and stamped on it lists the different engine sizes and the 2.7l Diesel shows as having a towing capacity of 3500kg, so I will go that with that one, , lets hope the officers do to .

I measured the height of the guards from the center of the rim to the bottom of the guards and front and back are both 48cm, and from the ground to the bottom of the guards are 83cm on the front and 84cm on the rear, so I don't know if the Jeep is raised or not, I didn't think it was but I could be wrong.
There is about 18mm clearance from the rear shocks to the current LT245/70R17 tyre. This possibly could give me enough clearance if I go the 255/65R17 tyre width?

I haven't checked the front, I assume that I would have to drive up on to something with one wheel and and then go to full lock from side to side?

As for the LT tyre rating, the standard tyre requirements are for a load rating of 104 and a speed index of H so shouldn't be too hard to go higher, I am hoping to sell my boat soon so may not need the highest load rating tyres but would like them as high as possible.
Old 15-06-2015
No Winching

My Mopar bar was only stamped to 3360 so there you go hey. Sorry thought you were chasing LT for stronger off road use.
Old 15-06-2015
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

My biggest problem with Geolanders like most A/T tyres is mud but since they only visit the mud occassional I put up with it as they are excellant everywhere else, good mileage and don't start making a noise when half worn, 90,000km no drama. Like sand if you go into it with high pressure your done for and I to have got stuck in my paddock, pressure down, power and swinging the wheel like carzy got me free, no load onboard didn't help either.

Tyre/rim size and other tyre info http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html cannot be beat.

As for load rating on your rubber a 110 would be more than enough. You might have a couple of ton behind but you wouldn't have that weight on your axle, if you did the rear end would fall off.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply