I wanna buy a Jeep :) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-06-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 58 Times in 41 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default I wanna buy a Jeep :)

Hi guys,

New to the forum. Been researching on here for a couple of weeks but my guest privileges expired. So figured I better sign up

I'm looking to upgrade my Commodore wagon to something with a higher tow capacity, but still economical as my daily work car around Sydney.

So after quite a bit of research, top of my list is a circa 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland (or Limited) with the 2.7 Mercedes CRD engine. Looking to spend around $9K. Have been a few recently around this price and currently one in Vic, but need to buy something before the end of June so hoping something comes up in NSW this week, otherwise I'll end up with a Pajero

Anyway, hoping you guys can help me with a couple of questions please.

Firstly suspension/steering. I took one for a brief test drive in May and it felt very 'wavy', or 'wallowy' (hard to describe). Seemed to move about a bit. Is this normal? Do these cars have active suspension? Could this be it? I test drove a Mercedes ML 320 last week and it felt similar and they also have active suspension. Can the active suspension be disabled? Good/bad idea?

What are the major service intervals? ie timing belts etc? Probably good to get one with this recently done rather than recently due.

Finally would someone with an Aust 2003 2.7CRD be able to scan/email or photo/mms the pages on trailer towing and vehicle payload / loading please. I've downloaded the US version from wjjeeps.com but want to check if there are any different requirements for Aust and also the version available on wjjeeps doesn't include the 2.7CRD engine. I can pm my email or mobile number.

Thanks guys. Hopefully will be a new GC owner soon
Old 21-06-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Hi Shane001.Welcome to the forum.
First, no active suspension, in fact it's quite primitive being beam axles and coil springs.
Mine has the "up country" suspension which is stiffer springs and shocks and rides quite hard, no wallowing, and steers straight enough but can follow road camber at times but no big deal. Standard suspension is also firm. You might find it sways a bit more than is comfortable but can be cured by a stiffer rear sway bar. Late 03 and 04 models (ones with round fog lights) already have a stiffer bar than earlier models so are not too bad.

There is no timing belt, camshafts are chain driven. There is a serpentine belt driving ancillaries I changed mine at a hundred thousand miles (not Ks). It didn't need it but I thought it about time, an easy job anyway.

No point sending my book as it's UK but no doubt someone will chip in with that.
Old 21-06-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Welcome to the mob.

You will find answers and a downloadable manual and parts list here : http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=124873

The Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD is a great vehicle but Grand Cherokees need a suspension upgrade , most now being between 10 and 15 yrs old probably need new bouncy bits anyway, a set of Old Man Emu's does a wonderful job. All Australian models came with up country suspension which only gave it a bit more height on the yank models, was still crap gear and would be now as it's so old.

Towing, what do you want to know 3500kg towing cap, 350 kg ball weight as for the rest of it I can't remember but I know I've posted it on a thread here somewhere but it's in the manual on the link.

No timing belt in the merc engine, a chain and have never heard of problems. Mine gets serviced 10,000k for engine oil/filter, 35,000k for tranny and TC, fuel and air 20,000k that is not exactly the same as Jeep wanted but after 260,000km mine hasn't failed.

Have a read of "Everything 2.7" and the "2.7 Drivers" threads then come back with any questions.
They are a good towing vehicle but are getting a bit old now so you will want to pick a good one.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 21-06-2015
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks guys for your replies. I had a browse through the "Everything 2.7" and a read through "2.7 Drivers" but missed the service manual link. Have now downloaded this so will have a browse.

Drover what I was after re the towing section in the handbook was to check the specific wording of any manufacturer recommendations. For example, my Commodore is rated to 2100kg, but Holden recommends not exceeding 80kph over 1600kg. Not something I think the police can enforce but I have heard of insurance companies refusing claims due to the vehicle being operated outside the manufacturer guidelines. I doubt there is anything like this in there for the Jeep but something I wanted to check to make sure. The other item I wanted to check is load capacity. From what I've read this is 480kg, including passengers and tow ball weight, which seems very low in comparison to other 4wds (Pajero is 650 / Merc ML is 700). Do you know if 480 is correct for Aust?

Thanks guys.
Old 21-06-2015
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

In this PDF it lists VEHICLE KERB MASS as 1938kg & GVM as 2506kg so load carrying capacity of 578kg (less Ball weight)
http://www.centaurproducts.com.au/fi...e_Complete.pdf
Old 21-06-2015
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks Clarky. I have the 2012 version
Old 21-06-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

The Pajero has a lot of variations to it's loadings going by that excellant link Clarky provided but it isn't much more than the Grand. I think I would go a Grand before a Pajero.
You will find that most vehicles loaded up to go on a trip would be overloaded . though I do know a bloke who loads and checks at a weigh bridge before he goes away with his van, everything must be just right, he's actually a bit scary I think.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply