Aluminium radiator, thermo fan, oil cooler, etc... - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default Aluminium radiator, thermo fan, oil cooler, etc...

Hey all,

well thought I should drop a quick update up... installed an aluminium radiator from Gondwana racing with integrated thermo fan (very bling - top quality stuff!), and reworked my steering system a bit to incorporate an oil cooler and move the res closer to the pump...

Installed a thermo switch (Davies Craig) from supercheap auto which was about $60 I think. Oil cooler is a tube and fin style that Cummins gave me (I think it came from AdRad). Had to fab the new upper radiator hose out of mandrel bent exhaust tube and some rubber hose from Pirtek. The lower hose just had to be trimmed to fit.

No testing results yet, but will update the post once I give it a burl...

some more pics here:
http://www.teamfiretruck.com/gallery...s.php?album=11

Build thread:
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121388
Old 07-09-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

..forgot to mention some of the fun bits...

I chased the top radiator hose around for a week... digging through shelves of hoses at every auto store, until I decided that I would have to make a custom one.

After initial hook up, I didn't think the coolant was flowing... and the thermo fan wasn't switching on. So I re-checked all my wiring with the multimeter (all good), hooked the pump directly to a battery (works fine)... then I pulled the thermostat housing and threw the thermostat on the stove in a pot of boiling water (much to my girlfriends disgust)... yep, it was fine. Sealed it all back up and let it run, and I think it was just my paranoya as once it reached just under 100 the thermo kicked on... wicked. Then I adjusted it a bit at the thermo switch and all seems good.

It all fits like a glove... just enough clearance for everything in there with some space for flex and engine movement etc.

Filled the radiator up with Valvoline racing coolant, courtesy of Valvoline and Cummins. Using high temp Valvoline ATF in the steering system.

Any Q's - fire away!

S.

Build thread:
Old 07-09-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks pretty sweet. Was the reason for changing the radiator weight related or cooling related? If so weight, how much did you save?

http://maddog.zook.org
Old 07-09-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Aluminium radiator was for a few reasons...

Weight - yes, its lighter, but that wasn't the major reason. I think I weighed it, but can't remember the difference. Would only be 5kg's max I reckon.

Space - the Gondwana radiator is smaller in every dimension, but much more efficient. So smaller but better cooling. I needed room to relocate my steering reservoir, and to fit the oil cooler... but the main thing was that with the front axel pushed so far forward, and with high steer and the double ended ram full hydro steer, the top of the ram was mm's away from the bottom of the radiator. Now there is heaps of room and I can even reduce my bump stops (haven't done it yet, but it's on the list).

Power - no power sapping mechanical fan and viscous coupling to suck engine power... every little bit helps! I've seen figures of anywhere from 5-10% (tell em they're dreaming), to about 5HP improvement (closer to the mark I reckon).

Flexibility - I will wire a switch in that allows me to turn the fan off if I dunk into water ever again (not sure if it will ever see deep water or bog holes again... but who knows...)

TJ radiators suck arse - well, they do. I have replaced mine altogether once, and know alot of people who have over-heating problems. If they are damaged you can't fix them because they are plastic (on the ends). I have also replaced the viscous coupling once, and the water pump, etc...

S.

Build thread:

Last edited by FireTruck; 07-09-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2005
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah the tj's stock colling setup sucks, and ive done the radiator, two water pumps, and two fans or maybe i just drive it too hard, havnt managed to come home from a drive in the last 12 months without something being broken.
Old 08-09-2005
TFP Racing Australia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ive been trying to get hold of Peter for weeks to source the same thing Shane, so far no response to myself or the people who have tried on my behalf at the moment I have a clogged up radiator and a viscous fan that is stuffed (so there is a temp one on the car)
Old 08-09-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Pete can be hard to catch - I pm'd you some contact details.

S.

Build thread:
Post New Thread  Reply