Whollsee's 258 Tart Up - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2014
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Default Whollsee's 258 engine build 1

I’ve been meaning to get this thread going for a while. Can’t decide if I’m too busy or just lazy…really should have finished all this and my tf999 trans rebuild a couple of years ago….at least the trans is now done http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=107440

I have had my 82 CJ for a few years. Paid 2.5K which I have come to think was a bit of steal. Other than an aftermarket steering wheel and 31’s it was original including, as you would expect after 25+ years, a very tired 258 donk. I did some initial repairs- water pump and radiator refurb and over time a mild lift and other minor upgrades which are mostly documented on AJOR. Having said all that the 258 refuses to quit and has been asked to deliver on many many occasions and got me through but I always wanted to do a rebuild and finally decided to start over and swap an upgraded engine in with a trans refurb and minimize downtime for no other reason than I absolutely love driving the CJ . It’s not my daily driver but it gets a weekly outing… or two… or three.

So…firstly I wanted to keep it Jeep and secondly I wanted to keep it 258 just because I could. I knew all the arguments for 4.0 head swap, Chev 350 or AMC 360 but…meh! Did a bit of research and settled on the gear outlined in the following posts. Some emotional/illogical purchases, some informed, and some to keep within a brand/system for consistency. I am also a bit of a Shallow Hal, in all things as it turns out I’m told, and aesthetics plays a big part in my decision making so I’ll spend way more than I need to for a pretty result maybe. Tragic. Having said that I purchased most of this gear late in 2011/early 2012 and the dollar was at 1.10 to the US and I thought then it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to gold plate it.

Here we go…
Purchased a crate donk [1985] imported by what was then Jeep Engines Australia. A bit of maths, albeit mine, indicated would be cheaper from him than imported myself. Arrived quickly once ordered and funnily enough was on a crate/palette. Was a protective box covering..can be seen in background. Well wrapped in plastic though.

Unwrapped and oil nappy off.

Split…head off and masked up for spraying. farken fiddly but. I went with KBS Coatings paints for the tart up.

Head masked up. still fiddly.

Case coated. This is “Chrysler Blue” which is as close to AMC Blue as an Aussie company gets. No complaints..it is essentially the same. I should add the original donk is an extreme blue/black. I partly chose the color even though it is more 70s so I can detect leaks easily. Might regret that as I can’t ignore the inevitable leaks.

Head coated.

Peeled masking and left to cure for a few days. Should add that donk came with a full Fel Pro gasket kit so happy about that. Please feel free to offer opinions/advice as I'm not too far along in the build but have most of the parts all sorted.

Last edited by whollsee; 05-11-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2014
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks good and watching with interest.
Old 07-05-2014
AJOR Gold

Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Default Whollsee's 258 engine build 2

Thanks Remus. Hope you enjoy the rest.

This was the donor 1984 engine. Apart from the trans I was only after the periphery, so oil pan, timing cover, pulleys, fan, engine mount plates, balancer etc. I love this later style extended dipstick. My ’82 has the short style that is a PITA to check and replace. Hope I can make this one work with the planned HEI dizzy.

Shyte pic of some of the coated parts. I sprayed some myself and had a few other bits powdercoated.

I bought this Clifford Performance valve cover of an AJOR member a few years ago for a very nice price. He transplanted an entire 4.0 into his CJ7 so no longer needed. Coating was a bit tatty so had it re-powdercoated but didn’t like the way finish came up so I stripped it…

…prepped and sprayed with a couple of coats of KBS “black velvet” engine coating…

..and a week or so later after cured got out the wet and dry and the dremmel..mind numbing…but detail came up rool nice. V happy with the finish overall.

The cover had the lug castings for oil baffles on the two PCV ports but they weren’t drilled out and obviously no baffles. Thought I’d make standard style baffles rather than chase up baffled grommets so drilled and tapped out the lugs a little…

…then cut some rect section down the middle and to length and secured in place over each port with loctite super stud lock on the screws. Don’t want them coming loose and falling out anytime!

Oil pan was hit with oven cleaner then blasted and I did some minor panel beating and also flattened out all the bolt holes so the lip was nice and even all the way around. Coated along with the other stuff. ..KBS prep, rust seal then diamond black topcoat. Same as the diamond clear coat I used on my trans but..umm…black. Replaced old oil plug with a magnetic one.

Last edited by whollsee; 05-11-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 14-05-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking forward to this one. I'm looking for a 258 crate motor myself if you have any recommendations, also looking for a 2bbl intake manifold.
Old 15-05-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default Whollsee's 258 Tart Up

If you're looking for bits I've got it most of a 4.2 in bits on my shed floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 15-05-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I gave away a non running 258 a few weeks ago but i still have a couple here (runners)
Old 15-05-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking hard about this engine.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300931745...84.m1423.l2649

Sorry to hijack whollsee! I'll get back in my box now, looking forward to more of your build.
Post New Thread  Reply