crd oil contamination fix - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well you could try getting the dealer to flush the Intercooler, then install a provent or similar to stop the sludge buildup in the intercooler. If the intercooler is partially blocked, then this is going to reduce the power and contribure to any turbo 'lag'. People have also reported blowing the hose that connects the turbo to the intercooler - my guess is through the increase in back pressure caused by a partially blocked intercooler. The CRD by rights should have come from the factory with a Provent - just as the TDI Golfs now do (I believe), after they had similar issues.
Old 12-04-2006
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default CRD Oil Contamination con't

thanks for the words of wisdom Wilmo, have spoken to my local dealer who is looking at what he can do - the Stainless Steel (steel wool) material and the restrictor in the hose is a modification from jeep when you pull the hose off the top of the engine and look in the end you couldn't miss it - nor the oil that it catches -
the service manager is pretty straight up - he agrees that installing a provent would be a better long term solution -
he has spoken about a reprogramme also - I sent him a link to this thread and he tells me he's read the lot to get a better understanding of the problem
here's hoping
johnv
Old 04-06-2006
Rubicon MOABs

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Service interval - Provent

I had my 20K Km service done this week, I inspected my provent filter to see how it was going, I checked in the early stages & there wasnt much to report, filter slightly soiled nothing in my drain tube & was starting to wonder why I bothered. Then checked it today (after Jeepkhana run to Harvey) & Im glad I did. My little drain tube was full right to the top, (could see oil in the bottom of the provent flange when filter removed & the filter was soaked. I used a heap of paper towel to pat & dab the oil out, then drained the tube. I will check it a little more often now but I think every 10K Km will fill my drain tube, there was about 100mL in it. Therefore 10K km = 100mL oil for me approx.

For those who have fitted a provent how much oil is in yours?
Old 04-06-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Palla, Just returned from up North so may chat to you tomorrow!

Mine fills the drain tube (abotu 40cm long) in approx 3000ks. Depends on how much hard driving you do.
Old 22-10-2006
Rubicon MOABs

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Well I've had my provent installed since April 06 & have been draining the oil into a glass jar (as opposed to putting it back into the engine) just to see how much oil it is catching. Well today I hit 200mL & I have 23000Km on the clock, I didnt have the provent in from new so I probably had the can in at around 12000Km. At a rough guess 200mL/10000Km. For those who havent put one in yet I recommend it to stop oil blocking up your intercooler or as they say in the US CAC.

http://www.aussiejeepimages.com/gall...s+040.jpg.html
Old 23-10-2006
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Thats a fair amount of oil I guess.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Post New Thread  Reply