crd oil contamination fix - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-09-2005
Greying Nomad

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Intercooler? What intercooler?

Pipeliner - 2002 2.5 CRD Sport.
Old 20-09-2005
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know about the 2.5 CRD (I assume it would) but the 2.8 has an intercooler up the front. In fact there are four different radiator type thingies up front - the regular radiator, intercooler, aircon, and transmission cooler. It isn't like the sports car types that have it mounted up top with a air scoop (eg. WRX). I knew it was there when I purchased the car and is the only reason I went looking for it because it wasn't as obvious as a WRX. If you look at the second of the pictures above the turbo outlet (which it the one I keep blowing off so I really really know which one it is) is the big one directly below the two red pipes. Follow that and you find your intercooler. You may have to pop out the air box to get to it.
Old 15-11-2005
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default crd oil contanimation fix

update

after fitting the provent in normal city/highway driving I was concerned that
the drain tube I had fitted to the bottom of the provent was clean.

After removing the inlet air duct from the turbo to the intercooler and finding it oil free I was happy.

Did a run to Melbourne and back towing a Tvan both ways and guess what?
the provent filter takes its own time to actually become saturated with blow by oil , once it does it drips down to the bottom in the drain tube.

After draining into a bottle (Dolmios pasta mix approx 10mm of sludge)
thats 20000clicks on high to medium load on the engine thats how much crap gets sucked into the intercooler and back to the inlet manifold.

Fuel economy was average 14l/100klm on the trip down , ran like a dog
NSW diesel (most taxed state and the worst fuel) after Melbourne refuel and at least 500klms heavy rain got down 12.5l/100klm to at one stage after refuel at mittagong off the Hume to 10l/100klm towing.!!!
average the whole trip was 11l/100 klms .

It still needs a dealer reprogramme of the auto but at least it breathes clean again and my right foot is very delicate again otherwise the new cooper atrs wont last long.(wheel spin off the line ).
Old 15-11-2005
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool. I still want to put one in. Waiting for the tax cheque to arrive.
Old 15-11-2005
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default crd oil fix

Talk to claude at Mann and Hummell in Sydney there may be a smaller unit on the market in 2006 wil enquire myself to see if they will import them
cheers Ian P
Old 16-11-2005
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Basically what the Provent appears to be is a fancy oil catch can arrangement, which is a pretty common fitment to a Subaru turbo (WRX) motor to stop blow-by going back through the turbo and intercooler.

I'm sure you could fit a catch can to the Cherokee as well - for about $50.

Generally you run a line from the Rocker covers and crankcase to the can (the can has a small air filter on the top of it to vent excess pressure) and then another line goes back to the one way valve under the manifold on a WRX which sucks the oil vapour through to the can at idle as I recall. You then have to make sure you plug the hole that goes into the air intake!

Not sure of the exact setup of the Cherokee diesel as I don't have one (yet), but will be sure to check it out when I do and post something here. The catch can works a treat on my WRX though.

The same principle applies with the Provent and that Donaldson product - the first stage of filtration just relies on 'impact' with the walls of the vessel, and the sludge collects in the bottom of the can as it cools. The second stage is where more particles are caught in the actual filter of these products - but personally I think this is overkill - as in my experience the intake is still perfectly clean just with a can collecting the sludge.

The reason that the Provent and Donaldson has the fancy spring setup is to release the pressure when the filter gets clogged. I'd be wary about sticking one of these in though as the CCV(PCV) valve is supposed to regulate the pressure in the crankcase and if the pressure is set to regulate at a higher point by the filter device (the Donaldson one is adjustable), then the engine is going to see a higher crankcase pressure and this could cause problems.

So, for the price of a pretty simple catch can with two outlets, you could have a pretty clean intake I'd say. These can be purchased from plenty of places right off the shelf (Ebay has heaps), and some even have sights to show you when its time to pull it out and empty it. Obviously one outlet on the can goes to the CCV, and the other to the air intake, if the engine on the Jeep is anything like the Golf one in the link above.

Example catch can:-

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ALUMINIUM-ROU...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Wilmo; 16-11-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2005
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Provent is available ex USA from these guys

http://www.airnowsupply.com

$130 USA plus postage. They will supply to Australia.

I've ordered one as the soot in the blow by from a turbo diesel really needs a filter to catch it. The blow by from a petrol turbo car is quite clean comparitively - just engine oil, and that's why the catch can works ok.
Post New Thread  Reply