drawer system for kj - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-10-2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question drawer system for kj

has anyone made a drawer system for the kj - would love some design ideas or measurements
Old 18-10-2005
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh yeah! Specially the 05's with the fold flat rear seats! Hopefully somebodies done this before.
Old 21-10-2005
Blackhawk

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts

Guys, i thought i read in Jeap action 2 issues ago the Suburban KJ had a drawer system. You might what to ring them.
Old 26-10-2005
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a drawer in mine. Last time I looked there was only one manufacturer for the KJ which is Outback Systems. I ordered it through KAOS in Canberra.
It is a single drawer with a divider inside. The frame is made of steel with bearing sliders and the top is plywood with the usual heavy duty grey carpet stuck on. It is well made except that the lock that comes with it is crap. Apart from the lock the only problem I have with it, and it isn't the drawers fault, is that you cannot open the tail gate with a trailer on so you cannot get into it. There are also flap open pockets on each side for your nick-nacks like straps and air pump. If you order one make sure you specify you want the tie down hooks installed. I think it is free but they will only put it in if you ask for it.
Have a look at the following link. http://www.4wdinteriors.com/fitments...0KJ%20Cherokee
Old 27-10-2005
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv s kj
has anyone made a drawer system for the kj - would love some design ideas or measurements
I've made 2 and a half sets. I have some pics of the first:
http://www.froop.net/jeep/drawer1.jpg
http://www.froop.net/jeep/drawer2.jpg
http://www.froop.net/jeep/drawer3.jpg
http://www.froop.net/jeep/drawer4.jpg

That was a single drawer, which now sits under my workbench. Very sturdy, and the width of the larger back seat section - so with the drawer in, I could drop the left rear seat for an Engel. The back is also slanted at the same angle as the seats - this means that when the full back seat is down, there are no sharp corners.

Second effort got thrown out half way through.

The first drawer was 12mm and 6mm MDF, fully carpetted, and quite heavy. The third set I tried a different construction method. No pics at the moment, but I'll try and take some this weekend. I've used 3mm MDF to keep the weight down, and the frame strength comes from angled aluminium, mostly 25x25mm, 20x20mm and 25x20mm, completely pop-riveted and fully carpetted. I wasn't too sure at first, but I really like the effect. Also built in is a Waeco drawer fridge, so I don't need to fold a back seat to get the 30L Engel in.
Old 27-10-2005
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, so I figured I might as well throw the flash on the camera and take some pics tonight.

Drawer on the right. fridge on the left, compressor mounted a bit higher, into the recess for the side window - gives me a bit more space on the bottom:

Fridge open. Waeco CD-30. It's only a 30L fridge, but I find it more practical than the classic 'deep' portable fridges.

Close up of the compressor, with a cut out for the fan

The top is only 3mm MDF, so there's a little bit of a bow. Possibly needs a couple of cross supports.

Drawer slides are Accuglide fully extending slides - same brand as used by Black Widow et al.

Close up of the joins. Not perfect, but good enough for me.

Made it just a little bit too tight - a few scratches on the plastic moulding while I tried to wedge it all into place.

And the compressor, as seen from the outside
Old 28-10-2005
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

Looks good mate, you've done well.