WK2 3.0 diesel engine temps - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Blokes Advice
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-04-2023
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default WK2 3.0 diesel engine temps

Hi all just like to get some feedback on engine temps ,whilst towing my 2600kg
van in summer 27deg ambient medium grade hill oil temp rose to 115deg coolant temp was just on 3/4 .
Engine did not go into limp mode or boil this was still of concern as coolant must have been above 120. needless to say contacted Jeep they said that this was still in normal operating conditions easy for them to say.
With the van unhooked and ambient at 28 the oil temp is still around the 98 deg yet the coolant is between 1/4 and1/2.After traveling 30,000ks and no longer towing the van I replaced the coolant with Penrite 10 Tenths Race Coolant
Oil temp is now stable at 90 rising slightly to 93 on medium grade.
Engine has not missed a beat in 95000ks with only scheduled oil changes every 10k
Any similar operating feedback would be welcome
Old 22-04-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 235 Times in 132 Posts

I tow regularly with max 3.2T van. First, before the software update I would occasionally get almost to the 3/4 temp line (high speed hills etc) but was considered normal and similar to your temps. Post update it is more rare to get to the 50%-60% (50% is 100 degrees) mark given the fan speed was changed and a few other things. Secondly, with air conditioning on the temp is more stable given the fan is on more for the a/c. I then put in a murchisons tune thinking more power more heat and did the Savannah way in early feb with 40 degree days towing at a constant 92-95 speed range and temp was pretty rock solid and rare event to hit the 50% with air conditioning on. I do find I can manage the temp better on steep hills to prevent exceeding the 50% mark by manually selecting gears for RPM at about 2200. Manual in this case was more about managing the extra EGT temps due to tune. I'm MY14 with 108k. The tranny temps towing are constant 93-98 (obviously the 98 is on hotter days)
Old 22-04-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

There is a thread here on engine oil temps....chose forums...wk2...its on page 5....guys with the tech to monitor those readings have left lots of info....dont know how to attach that thread to this post....it can be done as Ive seen it done to reference topics that have been discussed.....as a suggestion....check the forum your after then scroll through the topics...lots of helpful hints and real time experiences....the temps your discussing are definitely on that thread.....ENJOY !!!

Ive bumped that thread for you....thread op was ol mate...all the info you need is on that thread....cheers

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 22-04-2023 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2023
Established Member

Liked 135 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hey OSG, from the way you described the coolant temp changes, and the fact the temp went back to somewhat normal after coolant change, I have had similar fluctuations and generally found the following:
The wK2 cooling system is a pressurised system and supposed to operate under vacuum. I have found when air gets introduced to system, the air temp rises but the coolant temp sensor will not pick this up as it is not measure air temp. On two occasions for me it has been the overflow/radiator cap. The seal wears out, almost not noticeable but allows air to sneak in. It can also occur if you have a coolant leak somewhere but generally that is noticeable. My Coolant sits at 95-100 in 24-35 deg temps. when towing and on incline will go to 105-110.
Hope that helps.
Old 01-07-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Guy View Post
Hi all just like to get some feedback on engine temps ,whilst towing my 2600kg
van in summer 27deg ambient medium grade hill oil temp rose to 115deg coolant temp was just on 3/4 .
Engine did not go into limp mode or boil this was still of concern as coolant must have been above 120. needless to say contacted Jeep they said that this was still in normal operating conditions easy for them to say.
With the van unhooked and ambient at 28 the oil temp is still around the 98 deg yet the coolant is between 1/4 and1/2.After traveling 30,000ks and no longer towing the van I replaced the coolant with Penrite 10 Tenths Race Coolant
Oil temp is now stable at 90 rising slightly to 93 on medium grade.
Engine has not missed a beat in 95000ks with only scheduled oil changes every 10k
Any similar operating feedback would be welcome
those temps are about right mate

not towing i sit around 100 on the highway and towing anywhere from 105 to 120 depending on ambient temp and how hard i push it

wk2 18TH
Post New Thread  Reply