Yep, another MT Tyre thread - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2023
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 128 Times in 76 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Question Yep, another MT Tyre thread

I know I know. Use the search button. Searching the main forum on my phone is really tedious. And for some reason I keeps losing AusJeepOffroad from tapatalk, anyone else have the same?

So. The question is.

I’m keen for a good set of MT’s for my spare set of 18’s. Wifee has issues with the noise and wet driving performance of MT’s. Has this ever improved?

We are moving states very soon, from Wagga to Townsville and I wish to have the 18’s fitted for the trip. Just don’t want to regret it.

My existing Falken AT3W’s are at half life and are getting a little noisey but still grip in the wet and are very decent off-road . Really wish Falken make a MT in the size that fits our 18’s.

Anyways. Your help is always appreciated.

John.
Old 10-09-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,319 Posts

As we talked about I woudln't use MT's on these things at all and on a trip from Wagga to Townsville I think you would regret it.... might be hard up to find any mud anyway............ Changing to 18's I reckon is a good move but why Muddies ??.........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 10-09-2023 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2023
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

I have my XJ on muds at the moment. They are bad in the wet on the black. Only using them to use them up & be rid of them. I got them for free, about all they are worth.
Old 10-09-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Just get a good set of at's and forget mt's on these cars. Totally pointless
Old 11-09-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts

Agree with the others - go with 18s but stick to an aggressive AT like the Wildpeaks or Maxxis unless you properly plan on doing some regular mudding.

Be mindful too that I've heard the lower guards of the ARB bars are particularly bad when it comes to scrubbing and can require a bit of modification to clear bigger tyre sizes and/or chunkier treads

Old 11-09-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,137 Times in 602 Posts

I have Maxxis RAZR MT772 275/65/18 muddies on mine. Have done around 35,000 kms on them now. I had them on my previous WK2 for the Cape trip.
I don't mind them, yes they do buzz a bit more than standard hiway tyres, but I also rotate them every 10,000 kms so they run the other way to keep the tread flat.

I had Nitto Trail Grappler muddies on my WH, the Maxxis are quieter than the Nittos were.
These MT's stick very well on wet roads, no sign of breaking away. Have towed the van from Brisbane across the top and down the West coast...not a problem, and not uncomfortable either.

It does depend on personal choice...if you are prepared to put up with a little extra road noise for a more aggressive tread with the advantages of that then a muddy is fine as far as I am concerned...

Last edited by Jeeper6; 11-09-2023 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2023
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 128 Times in 76 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for all your replies.

I’m not considering fitting the tyres permanently, as my 20s still have a bit of life in them. Moreso something to chuck on when doing some “adventuring”

Hmmm, Maxxis have been an option, cheers Jeepers for your insight.