Weights - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-10-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Weights

I made a trip to the Broadford Vicroads weighbridge just to see what the real tare weight of my Limited is...

With just me - 96 kg with clothing - and a full tank of diesel the GC weighs in at 2540 kg empty. As the GVM is 2949 kg, that leaves 409 kg for any accessories, barwork, passengers, luggage and ball weight of the camper.

If I add an auxiliary tank and fill it, that takes 100 kg off the payload, leaving 309 kg.

If the camper ball weight is, say, 150 kg, then I am down to around 160 kg for SWMBO, the 40 litre Waeco (say, 20 kg with cover) and contents (say 10 kg) and the auxiliary battery (35 kg easy), second spare (another 35 kg) and roof rack to carry it (20 kg plus) etc.

Looks like I have to leave SWMBO behind, as the rest comes to 120 kg...

Scary, huh?

Cheers
Numb Thumbs

PS Good thing I don't have any drawers, barwork or a winch.
Old 23-10-2017

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

I have come to the same conclusion (except the ball weight on the caravan is 250kg ). So, No bar No second battery No long range fuel tank No drawers
and
Keep the portable fridge to minimum size.
Be careful not to keep any heavy tools in the back.

I have been looking at the caravaners forum and it seems the Victoria police are starting to check weights with portable scales. At the moment it is only an educational exercise ( unless the rig is grossly overweight ) but fines and strict enforcement are coming soon.

Nick
Old 23-10-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I encourage everyone to take their rig across a weighbridge. i reckon there will be few nasty surprises...

Unfortunately there are only a few free 24/7 ones I know about. The Broadford one is very easy to use and is on the northbound lanes just north of the Broadford exit. It has a large overhead LED sign indicating when it is available for self checking - which is by most of the time. It has a series of pads - enough to weigh a B-double - so you can weigh individual axle loads - mine were 1340 kg front, 1180 kg rear.

There is also a pair, one on each side, on Port Road in Townsville. They are at the southern end of the road, just after you turn off the Pacific Highway. Just look for the large gravel areas, the northbound side has a small shed from memory. Just drive on to the pad and the weight on that axle is shown on an LED panel on the pole in front of you.

It just makes sense to me that the various authorities should leave all the Vicroads equivalent weighbridges on 24/7 for "self checking". If they are available, there would be no excuse for not knowing what your rig weighs. There are also thousands of weighbridges at grain silos scattered around the country. All it takes is to leave the power on and provide a window so you can see the readout.

From my observations, a huge proportion of 4WD's on outback roads are overloaded. Many would be pushing the limit just with their load of accessories, let alone their contents.

Remember, insurance companies will scrape up all the bits they can find and take them to a weighbridge after an accident, just so they can deny a claim.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs

Last edited by Numb Thumbs; 23-10-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 23-10-2017
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Is there GVM upgrade available for the WKII?
Would be a good investment if you want Bar work and tow.
Old 23-10-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 284 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs View Post
I encourage everyone to take their rig across a weighbridge. i reckon there will be few nasty surprises...

From my observations, a huge proportion of 4WD's on outback roads are overloaded. Many would be pushing the limit just with their load of accessories, let alone their contents.

Remember, insurance companies will scrape up all the bits they can find and take them to a weighbridge after an accident, just so they can deny a claim.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Never truer works said.

BTW commercial weigh-bridges are relatively inexpensive to get a weight certificate from too.
Old 23-10-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

Numb Thumbs you are dead right about the number of 4x4 towing caravans that are way over their limit and most of them are tray backs I'm sure they seem to think they that they can load what weight they want in the back plus a tinny !

I have purchased a REICH Caravan Weight Control scale that I use to check weights at home before I leave if it's over I drop some water out of the tanks or play around with what's in the van....I can check the weights as I'm travelling, found it a good thing to have. Also have a Milenco ball weight scale as well I had that before I got the Reich, even though I can use the Reich the Milenco can be used while we're loading up even though I still have the jockey as well on clear of the ground, as a safety measure.
Old 23-10-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

shit numbs i never thought of that . arb steel bar , mopar and chief underbody protection , 50l waeco and second battery , pioneer tray . Doesn't leave much does it . i might have to go find a free weighbridge in perth and weigh the tart
Post New Thread  Reply