How Test Driving a Wrangler - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I heard a similar story about a year ago where some dealers were more than happy to let you test-drive brand new demonstrator runout-model JKs but not the soon to be released MY'11 with the new interior, as there was high demand for the new one & limited supplies so they'd rather not waste one by taking it off the lot & turning it into a demo. They'd let you sit in it on the showroom floor apparantly, but not drive it off the lot.

Since the MY'12s come with completely different petrol engines & auto transmissions you'd think the dealers would realise that it's essential to test-drive it as there's no comparison with the previous petrol-engined model.
Old 05-11-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Thanks for your input guys.

To be clear the sales guy said the only 4-Door they had was a brand new one and that if it ended up getting too many miles on it it would have to be sold as an "ex-demo" car rather than a "new". I can only assume this means they don't actually have "demo" cars as such. He did also say they would be more open to the idea of going for an 'experience' drive in a used car but was quick to point out they didn't have any there.

Anyway, I did end up getting a ride in a wrangler this morning. The guy called and said he has 1 hour and a 4-Door diesel auto we could use for a quick trip, so my daughter and I lept on my motorbike and charged on it . I don't know exactly what this car was but I noted it had Victorian plates and he said it was going back to Vic after the weekend so this morning was really our only chance. I didn't actually take note of the number of miles on it but was told it was a 'new' 2011 model.

Anyway, the ride was pretty much as I'd expected. It kind of reminded me of the 4-Runner my aunt had when I was a boy, a little rough but plenty tolerable. I was surprised to find the accelerator peddle a fair bit further back when compared to the break but had no issue with it. I also found the torque converter a little more grab-ie that I expected but again it was fine. The turning circle was also perfectly manageable.

We took the car up to my house (I live really close by) to have a go at getting it in and out of the drive way, and loardy! If we get a Wrangler I dare say it will be spending it's nights on the street . We managed to get in it and out without incident but it required one person to be driving while another directed from outside. Backing out up the drive I found hardest. It's a short but steep drive and the 'grab-ie' torque converter would make the car lunge, only a foot or so, but enough to be unnerving. However I did end up finding I could step both on the break and throttle at the same time and was able to ease the 'grab' enough the make it out without incident. I'd also have to say this driveway is no place for a manual!

By the way, here's an immage of the house from 'NearMap':

And if you look at successive photos you can see that the previous owner didn't use the drive way either .
Where that black car is parked is where it always is. It's not coming or going, it's parked!

So all in all the Jeep lived up to my expectations and I would be happy enough to buy a Wrangler myself now.

Alan ("Jeep To Be" on this forum) has also graciously offered to take us for a spin with him so we will be meeting with him on Sunday. My partner wasn't able to make it this morning so we'll meat up with Alan Sunday to give her the "Wrangler" experience we all need .

Many thanks to all who have contributed,
Slarti.

Last edited by S.Bartfast; 05-11-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2011
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoB View Post
At worst, get on a flight to MEL and buy one there! It would make for a nice drive home...
Man, if I were going to Melbourne to get a Wrangler I'd be taking it to Skipworth 2011, not driving it home :P
Old 06-11-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think we are being spammed
Old 06-11-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 75 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Bartfast View Post
Man, if I were going to Melbourne to get a Wrangler I'd be taking it to Skipworth 2011, not driving it home :P
whatever floats one's sea vessel...?
...I think you missed the mark by about this much...
Old 07-11-2011
CrawlerStar

Oow, this discussion's suddenly gone a little strange.
Was it wrong of me to post a link to another forum?

I'm kind of new here but was what I said inappropriate? Apologies if it were.
I merely meant for it to be a light-hearted and slightly comical comment.

All the best.

Last edited by S.Bartfast; 07-11-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

I can't help it. Whenever I see the title of this thread I think it is 'How to testdrive a Wrangler' & think of this vid of Jamie Whitham (ex British and World Superbike rider), taking a Yamaha R1 for a test ride...

Last edited by Banshee; 07-11-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply