XJ Mods VSB 14 - Page 22 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-08-2016
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

A few future mods....

Now, can you use the conical nut from original XJ alloy rims to mount steel wheels?

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2016
AJOR Gold

While i wait for the engineering report and transport dept approval, i have been slowly finishing off other small projects that have been on my bucket list for years.
I have a snorkel and associated bits and pieces on the way. I am fitting a snorkel to a XJ with ABS and windshield washer bottle that is on the same side. Pics to come of the fit up.
Another project is fitting a storage area to the back of the Jeep. I have a 50 liter LPG tank in the back, and storage is atrocious. I scrolled the forums on AJOR and came up with a design that is cheap but practical. Pic below is of my current setup. The new design uses 17mm ply to incorporate a draw where i can store spare parts, oils, water etc..and have a spot for my second Thumper battery setup. I will also have a shelf with tie down points to stow an esky and bags etc...
I have just about finished the project so pics to come of that... and it came in at under $200 with brackets, ply, 40kg draw slides, carpet, glue etc..

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2016
AJOR Gold

Finished off the drawers and ended up with quite a good usable space. The top shelf is 750mm x 1350mm and has a couple of cargo tie down points. I can fit a large esky and a few bags and stuff up there.

The lower draw should fit most of my spares such as oils, tools belts, hoses etc.. I also have a nice spot for my Thumper second battery now, and it is held in position with angle brackets.
I used the brackets that tie down the LPG tank to help hold down the base arrangement. Also, the old tyre bracket on the right side just under the window came in handy as a support for the shelf.

The draws open with 40kg self locking sliders. You just push in on the draw to unlock it and push it back in to automatically lock again. Bit like some of the caravan ones.

I used all 17mm ply and galvanized screws. Not sure what i was thinking but i bought enough carpet from Bunnings to carpet the house. Good to have some spare for the future

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 106 Times in 53 Posts

Hi Alex great work there mate. I've recently done something similar in the back of mine although no where near as elaborate. Its just a shelf made out of leftover ply and marine carpet I had floating around after putting a false floor in the tinnie. It ties in via ratchet straps to the tie down lugs on the floor, with plastic tubs that slide in under the shelf. Needed something that was easily removable as we have two dogs we like to take to the beach occasionally that occupy the cargo area. So much more usable space available for camping gear after a mod like this.

Just two quick questions, just wondering where you purchased your cargo barrier from as I'm chasing something similar I can remove with the shelf when I need to. And what size battery does your thumper house?
Old 07-09-2016
AJOR Gold

Hi Blacklisted,

I was also going to use the tie down points on the floor, but didn't notice them until it was too late, and i made it a bit big. I did make this one so that i can pull it out in about 10 minutes. The gas tank in the back made the space useless, so this really helps.
I had to really go through the archives to get the details on the cargo net. Its custom made for the XJ and you can find it here.. http://www.trailtuffnets.com/products.php
The Thumper is the 75AH and comes with everything to just plug and play. I ran the recharge kit through to the back and can use it to plug in a small fridge, lights etc.. http://www.thumper.com.au/index.html#glance

Cheers,
Old 07-09-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 106 Times in 53 Posts

Good on you Alex thanks very much.
Old 10-09-2016
AJOR Gold

Just about ready to cut a big hole in the side of my Jeep, but still waiting on the hole saw. I seem to be getting myself boxed into a corner. Wanted a snorkel but didnt want the expensive brands. The airflow wont fit as the tube goes straight into the ABS. The ARB and Chinese go through the windshield washer bottle, but i have ordered a water bag to fit in the bay. However, now i have the Bushwacker flares in the way. I dont think the post update models have this problem as the panel shape is a bit different. Some cut down the Bushwacker and some raise the snorkel. I took a few measurements and looked at some pics and i am going to raise the snorkel. Below is a pic of another XJ with the style i am going for..

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply