XJ Mods VSB 14 - Page 29 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-09-2016
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Hopefully picking up a 1995 relay/fuse box this weekend from a forum member. This should be a great project - upgrade.

I took the washer bag out to the car and it was a no go. Too big and just wasn't right. A bulb went off in my head and i removed the pump from the bag. I came up with a design to mount the pump with a bracket next to the existing pump. Looks good and will be perfect for the rear window washer. The existing wiring and hose are still in position, so it's just a matter of plugging them in. A "T" just goes from the bottle and into each pump. Pic tomorrow when i get it all back together.

Still waiting on cup holders to go in pre-update arm rest.......

Cheers,
Old 30-09-2016
AJOR Gold

Installed the extra pump on the washer bottle. On test, it was pumping water into the tail gate, so i had to take the tailgate interior cover off. Crap design and you end up breaking most of the mounting plugs. Anyway, hose had come off, so quick fix and now i have front and back washers working. Not sure if its a requirement for inspection, but its done..

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2016
AJOR Gold

Grabbed the pre-update relay box this afternoon from an XJ enthusiast that is on the forum selling XJ parts in WA. It came with 5 relays, a bunch of fuses and i got the steel mounting bracket and cover with it. I will modify the mounting bracket to fit on the firewall. When the box is rewired, it will contain 7 relays and 7 fuses to power 7 accessories all nice and neatly in one spot.

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

That's the OBD1 PDC Alex....

I have several here for my projects....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 04-10-2016
AJOR Gold

That's the one JJ, its an OBD1 relay box. They are a great layout for wiring projects.
I am using the BleepinJeep YouTube vid and the diagram below to rewire it. I have stripped out all the wiring, cleaned it all up, got some new 15 amp wire and terminators, and am in the process of the rebuild.

Cheers,
Old 04-10-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

I watched his video that you linked to the other day, wasn't overly impressed with the use of the barrier strip for automotive use, especially under the bonnet.
I re-used all the original connections by opening them up and re-crimping and soldering them back on.
For me I used the OBD2 variant PDC as most of my needs were low(er) current and more control switching was required and the OBD2 PDC has significantly more relay locations then the OBD1 has, under the bonnet I was able to add 6 more 20A relays to the stock OBD2 PDC along with 4 extra MAXI-blade fuses easily, I did however need to fit 3 40A relays that wouldn't fit and an extra PDC I felt was too big to fit under the bonnet nicely so I used a relay box from an E series Falcon, these boxes fit 4 40A relays and has easy mounting options and a lid and is quite compact, fits easily between the PDC position and the battery, done!!!

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 04-10-2016
AJOR Gold

I am going to try and use all the original relay connectors too. What is wrong with using the termination block?

Cheers,