Update to Solid Axle - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > MARKET PLACE > Resolution Center & Negative feedback
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Old 11-03-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Update to Solid Axle

Okay,

Everyone calm down and just look at the facts:-

I received one call from Danny the Monday after the first post went up.

So it is now mid March and since Feb 5th I have had 22 phone calls to Solid Axle ignored, and no calls back.

I have managed to talk to Danny 5 times, total three times he said he will call me back either 'today' or 'tomorrow'. I never got called back.
Of the 5 answered calls 3 were answered only when I switched phones to a number he didn't know belongs to me. Now that number gets no answer either.

I still don't have a working axle assembly. So no change from September last year, total nine months now.

All those who think Solid Axle is just a single guy battling to survive, would you mind sending me $4300 and I can send you a useless axle housing with ARb centre and no axle shafts.

Some examples of Solid Axle Australia's quality work:-

First one shows the axle tube on left, tube flange then the 8mm gap between the backing plate and the rotor, you can see a fair part of the handbrake shoe hanging out of the inner handbrake drum inside the rotor.
Not sure how a diff expert gets the axle 8mm too far out?

Second pic shows the 'tide mark' of how far the splines engaged into the ARB locker side gears, you can see the line at about 3mm down the splines. Would have broken on very first drive!
I guess solid axle needs a new tape measure.

Fourth pic shows the brake rotor gouging the caliper bracket. I couldn't turn the axle when the rotor was bolted up with the wheel on.
I am guessing first use would have gouged out the brake caliper bracket and rotor, if they turned at all.
So who did try out my axle before shipping?

3rd and 5th pics show the crown wheel & pinion contact pattern.

Note both marking are at the extreme 'toe' or inner end. (not so bad) But also notice the drive side is right at the top or face of the tooth while the coast side is right at the bottom or foot of the tooth.
I am no expert but looks very fishy to be off at top and bottom on the drive vs coast side of the tooth.
Maybe Solid Axle removes the need for a radio by singing while you drive?

So let me see, multiple faults, axle clearly never even turned before it left, contact pattern suspect, Oh, I forgot, came with a black metal diff cover, No solid axle cover either, was Danny embarrassed by his work?

So some months back, I sent the (too short) axles back so Danny could make some new ones (or get them from Currie's I believe he said).

Haven't seen anything since, I wonder if my short axles have found their way into someone else's "new" axle?

So there you have it, I just need axle shafts the dimensions they should have been and I would then have to wait to see if the gears howled, and I would have to buy an ARB diff cover and I might have something that could be used.

I guess this is what you can expect when you get a diff expert like Solid Axle working for you.

My mistake for expecting someone to deliver a diff assembly that worked.

Good luck.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back plate inboard 8mm.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	38762   Click image for larger version

Name:	solid spline engagement.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	38855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solid contact coast low.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	38856   Click image for larger version

Name:	rotor offset 3mm.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	38857   Click image for larger version

Name:	solid drive contact high.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	38858  

Last edited by dxj; 15-03-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2010
Original Mexican Mafia

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is the issue "no axles" or "bad workmanship" on the solid axel housing? Or both?
6 months with xmas in the middle is probably about how long I would be prepared to wait for custom diffs. But as for the no answer on the phone that would piss me off baaad.
Keen to see pics.
Old 11-03-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Axle assembly delivered late September 2009 in unworkable state. Ordered July 2009!
Photo shows one problem, more to come.
Axle shafts currently at Solid waiting new ones that actually spline in to the diff side gears. ie shafts were to short!

I am thinking I have a lemon, hate to think how long to wait if I need parts.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2010
westside wheeler

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

its sad to see this over and over....

good luck with it mate! hope it all works out
Old 12-03-2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EXTREME JEEP View Post
Is the issue "no axles" or "bad workmanship" on the solid axel housing? Or both?
6 months with xmas in the middle is probably about how long I would be prepared to wait for custom diffs. But as for the no answer on the phone that would piss me off baaad.
Keen to see pics.
I cant comprehend how 6 months wouuld even be resonable, ordered a 9 inch three weeks ago arrived at the shop yesterday and i am 100% sure it will bolt straight in.

Obviously not from solid, and it has alot more fab work ionvolved and is 10x stronger than anything this twit sells.
Old 12-03-2010
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mate i would be fuming if that happened to me... hope things work out..
Old 12-03-2010
Original Mexican Mafia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredtj View Post
I cant comprehend how 6 months wouuld even be resonable, ordered a 9 inch three weeks ago arrived at the shop yesterday and i am 100% sure it will bolt straight in.

Obviously not from solid, and it has alot more fab work ionvolved and is 10x stronger than anything this twit sells.
Wow.
Give them a wrap then.
What diffs? Specs?
How much?
Where from?
Share share share...