Moving back to a Jeep - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Moving back to a Jeep

Hey Guys,

After previously owning a KJ Cherokee, numerous patrols and a couple other 4x4s, I'm finally getting back into a Jeep.

I'm downsizing from the 4.2 GU Patrol and getting into a 2006/2007 WH GC. Looking forward to having a nice comfy ride and some refinement

I am a diesel man through and through so the CRD is the only option for me. I've done plenty of reading and am aware of the swirl motor, EGR and oil in the intake issues. Already have a list of things I'll do to the new rig when I get it - GDE tune to turn off EGR and swirl, remove intake (including manifolds) to clean and remove sludge, install provent, make sure the new style intake pipe is installed etc..

I do have a couple of questions though..

1. Do the CRDs come with a factory lift pump in the tank?
2. What scan tool needs to be used to read the Jeep codes, or can a standard OBDII reader be used?
3. I know the usual things to check when buying a 4x4, but is there anything GC specific I should look out for besides the above mentioned issues?
4. Do the petrol and CRDs have the same intake location through the air filter box?
5. Is there a website best used to buy parts, mainly filters, belts etc. or is supercheap the way to go for that stuff?

Cheers,

Lee
Old 05-07-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Hi Lee ,
As far as scan tools go I've got a Blue Driver from Lemur electronics and its Great. Had an SRS airbag code that it wouldn't clear so I emailed them and they searched through my backround data and it took a few goes but they found out the cause. As for other stuff SparesBox seems to cater for most or all parts but can be pricey so its good for finding what you want them handball the same product to Supercheap for example. Cheers Reef

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2017
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

1. Do the CRDs come with a factory lift pump in the tank? Yes

2. What scan tool needs to be used to read the Jeep codes, or can a standard OBDII reader be used?
Generic OBD2 readers seam to work on the petrol version but not so well on the Diesels (Merc thing). Cheapest tool that is getting good resalts is BlueDriver http://www.lemurmonitors.com/. I use https://www.autoenginuity.com/ but its about 6 times the cost. If you are getting the GDE tune it comes with a code reader/programer.

3. I know the usual things to check when buying a 4x4, but is there anything GC specific I should look out for besides the above mentioned issues?
Check LOW RANGE works (see N23 sticky), not a deal breaker as can be fixed by a competent dealer preforming the update correctly. You may have to pay if FCA's records show it has already been done so factor in the cost when negotiating the price.

Front diff mounts and Prop shaft. With the engine running shift between "D" and "R" to see if there is a clunk, Best if you can get someone else to do it as you watch the front diff for movement. More then a 10mm movement is to much and they need replacing. Worn diff mounts usually means excessive wear on the front prop shaft (front tail shaft) C/V at the transfer case end, this is not sold as a replacement C/V but as a whole shaft for around $1200. A ford BA XR8 ute C/V will fit but if the spline is damaged then your out of luck.

Check the aircon on hot and cold and make sure it works on both the driver and passenger foot wells, "Blend Door" failures are becoming more common as the plastics get older.

4. Do the petrol and CRDs have the same intake location through the air filter box?
Yes, the Hemi has a different shaped air intake and lid but the bottom box is the same and use the same air filter.

5. Is there a website best used to buy parts, mainly filters, belts etc. or is supercheap the way to go for that stuff?
Spares Box and eBay are a good source, its best to search by part numbers I have found.
With that in mind here is a parts list http://www.gmb.be/CJD_parts/CDI/Catalogs/97-09/06WH.pdf
and Manual
http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Je...d_Cherokee.PDF
https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/WK_...bFQe67d3P2FtOQ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/313778277412/files/

Last edited by Clarky; 05-07-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the info, much appreciated.

I had a read of all 98 pages regarding the recall issue, what a nightmare! ill be sure to check that out as the car I'm looking at has had all the recalls done
Post New Thread  Reply