KK CRD automatic transmission fluid change service - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-10-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Thumbs down KK CRD automatic transmission fluid change service

Working off the assumption I have a MB 5G-Tronic automatic transmission, I was sold an external "spin-on" automatic transmission oil filter at the spares shop.

But as they also sold me a K&N PS-2009 oil filter for a PETROL engine , not the diesel filter, I'm worried now they have also sold me the wrong thing.

I've watched a few video's now of servicing MB 5G-Tronic 722.6 transmissions, and none of them show an external spin-on ATF filter? These videos show what I am used to on older auto's: Drop the fluid, drop the pan, change internal screen filter, clean pan and magnet, replace pan, refill with fluid. While not a "complete" flush, changing the fluid this way often enough gets enough new fluid in the transmission.

I'm about to get under my car and have a good look over it, but if anyone has either done an auto trans service themselves, or can point me to any literature/documentation/manual on performing a auto trans service, I'd really appreciate it.

Did I say...I did search the threads but didn't find anything useful for the KK CRD with the 5G-Tronic.

EDIT: Now I KNOW they sold me the wrong part...they sold me an oil filter for a 44RFE/45RFE transmission!

Good page on the transmission assy:
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmi...AG1-WA580.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCA_SPO551043.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	77878  

Last edited by Wiz.au; 21-10-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added more infor.
Old 21-10-2018
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

BTW...if anyone wants any pictures of anything whilst I have all the under body protection off, speak up now...
Old 21-10-2018
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

And given that I think I have just realised this vehicle doesn't have a transmission dipstick, has anyone fitted a Dorman 917-327 dipstick from a Grand Cherokee for this NAG / NAG1 / W5A580 / 5G-Tronic / 722.6 transmission?
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-52514-917-327.aspx

Actually, now I think about it...it will be another 100,000kms before I need to change the fluid, and I'll just do the whole "6L out, 6L back in" process. Might put 6.5 as they say a slightly higher fill is better to reduce oil bubbles and it's supposed to take 7L on a change?

Hmm, just measured mine...only 4.5L came out! Even letting the drain pan sit for more than 24 hours. Might have to get a dipstick just to make sure the last person didn't under-fill it? They put a Chinese filter in!

Last edited by Wiz.au; 25-10-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 22-10-2018
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)
Post KK Auto service

Fudging my way through it using any videos I can find of the NAG1 gearbox.

Dropped the pan this morning, what a mess! I caught 99.9% of the fluid, but what a PITA. Definately going to install a drain plug in the pan. The circle marked at the back right is a clear area under the shifter arm where it can go. This position at the 'back' of the pan will also drain the most fluid out when the front wheels are up on ramps.

So the fluid was nice & clean, no sludge on the bottom of the pan, just a smear of dark grey paste on the magnet. Pretty good really. Makes me think it wasn't that long ago it got a service.

But not happy about this:

So it definately has had a service....& someone was a cheap arse with a $4000 tranny. A $44 filter is cheap insurance! This is what should have been in it; not hard to get a MB part for it. The MB part number is stamped on the Mopar relabelled part!

Now, to order some parts.....the 'right' ones this time!

Last edited by Wiz.au; 23-10-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 22-10-2018
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)
Post KK Auto service filter part numbers

For anyone else doing this, Ryco reckon their RTK92 doesn't fit thee KK but somehow it still fits the Grand Cherokee and Dodge, and every other NAG1 W5A580 gearbox car??

And the RTK92F kit that might have been listed, has been 'discontinued'.

OEM part numbers
Mercedes
A1402770095 filter
A1402710080 gasket

Mopar
52108325AA filter
52108332AA gasket

Hmmm, looks like a relabelled MB box to me!

Some cross-ref info:
Fits:
Jeep Wrangler (JK) (2011-2015) w/ W5A580 transmission.
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK) (2005-2013); WK (US) model w/ W5A580 transmission.
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WG) (2002-2004); WG (Europe) model w/ W5A580 transmission.
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WH) (2005-2010); WH (Europe) model w/ W5A580 transmission.
Jeep Commander (XK) (2006-2010) w/ W5A580 transmission.
Jeep Liberty (KK) (2008-2012) w/ W5A580 transmission.

So I have no idea why Ryco are telling me the kit for the Grand Cherokee wont fit my car??

'Decent' aftermarket kit numbers:
MAHLE HX81D
MANN H182 KIT

"Other" Aftermarket kit numbers (possibly 'made in China'):
TransGold KFS836
WESFIL WCTK105
RYCO RTK92

Also used in:
CHRYSLER
300C

JEEP
Liberty II (KK)
Cherokee III (KK)
Comander (XH, XK)
Grand Cherokee II (WJ/WG)
Grand Cherokee III (WH)

MERCEDES-BENZ
C-Klasse (W202/S202)
C-Klasse (W203/C203/S203)
C-Klasse (W204/C204/S204)
CL (C140)
CL (C215)
CLC (C203)
CLK (A/C209)
CLK (C208 )
E-Klasse (124)
E-Klasse (W/S210)
E-Klasse (W/S211)
E-Klasse (W/S212)
E-Klasse Coupé / Cabriolet (A/C207)
G-Klasse (W461/463)
M-Klasse (W163)
S-Klasse (W140)
S-Klasse (W220)
SL (R129)
SL (R230)
SLK (R170)
SLK (R171)
SLR (R199)
Sprinter I (901/902/903/904)
Sprinter II (906)
Viano (639)
Vito II (639)

SSANGYONG
Rexton
Rexton W

Last edited by Wiz.au; 23-10-2018 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Added cross-Ref
Old 25-10-2018
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

I've been royally stuffed around with parts delays for the transmission. Was told at 2:40pm yesterday the parts I ordered Monday 'might' be delivered next week.... 'sometime'.

I cancelled the order and ordered another kit from Sydney to be shipped overnight....3 days now and it only shipped this morning, AFTER I had already started to cancel the order.... because....

Yesterday I ordered an original Mercedes Benz kit from Melbourne, to be shipped overnight. What a PITA and DOUBLE the price.... but it's a genuine MB kit and it was confirmed overnight shipping.

So now I have 2x filters on the way.

Still cheaper than $1200 at the dealers. I estimate this service (Engine oil+filter, Air filter, front & rear Diffs, Transfer box, & Transmission) has cost me around $270 in parts & fluids, and a days work. Which is fine because I'm not working to make any money at the moment. Time I have, dollars I do not.

So if anyone wants a genuine Mercedes/Mopar transmission filter at 'cost' ($45 posted) please contact me. I don't think it's worth keeping a spare for the next service in another 100,000kms!

I've also worked out why they stopped putting the drain plug in the pan. When they moved to Synthetic fluid, MB advised that with the new combination of synthetic fluid and carbon clutch friction material, the gearbox was now "sealed for life" and did not require any fluid changes. They have since revised this, and now advise a change at 40,000-60,000miles, to remove the loose carbon from the friction plates floating around in the oil. But after that, no more fluid changes are required until the transmission reaches "end of life". There was a lot of discussion what that meant.... Who's life? It appears they meant the life of the friction plates in the transmission. So if you're 'heavy' on the transmission, you will get a shorter life and need a recondition sooner, meaning you will get new fluid THEN! If you are gentle on your transmission and never wear out the friction plates, then you never change your fluid after the one and only "flush" at 40,000-60,000miles. Hmm....

Last edited by Wiz.au; 25-10-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 27-01-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default KK CRD automatic transmission fluid change service

Hey Wiz, been off the forum for a while and just saw your post. If you still have the kit I'll take it off your hands for that price mate.

Wasn't going to do mine but the price from the stealer is ridiculous. I have a dip stick and thought why not I'll give it a go.

Sounds like you had a tough time of it [emoji17]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by CibbyDoc; 27-01-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply