Oily inside / oily sweaty inter cooler hose (not blow by) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-03-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Oily inside / oily sweaty inter cooler hose (not blow by)

Hi
My wk2 diesel has 120k km atm. I ve been seeing oil sweat on the inter cooler hose and always thought that is 100% from pcv (centrifugal oil separator really is).
I tried a few catch cans and not happy with the result and decided to vent to atmosphere through big Caterpillar breather. Now about two months after doing that with plugged to the intake. I expected to see 100% dry in the intake. But i still see some oil sweat on the hose and some thin oil film inside.
I am a Heavy duty fitter working in a mine and i have changed turbos and hoses/pipes many time on heavy machinery, but never seen oily inside even after 12000 hours when we change as preventive maintenance considering end of component life.

Another way i tried is i disconnected turbo outlet and asked my wife to rev up to see if any oil against white paper towel that i held . i didn't see any oil though. Maybe not enough to be visible.

So my question is on these modern CRD's is it normal? Has anyone has similar experience? kind of still seeing some oil after installation of reputable catch can etc.
btw i buy rotella t6 from the states and change every 10k.
Should I try thicker oil like 15w40?
I owned this car since new and really want to keep it another 100k or so.

Thanks in advance
Old 14-03-2019
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I've had the same oil 'sweat' on the IC hose both before/after fitting a Provent 200 catch can, and before/after changing to 5W40. I've always been baffled as to how an oil film forms on the outside of the hose. Whatever the cause I can't see that it's anything to do with oil viscosity or method of venting as nothing seems to make any difference.
Old 14-03-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts

Well if you rule out oil coming from the PCV side of things, then you're really left with the turbo as the likely source of any oil film on the IC hose.
Old 14-03-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The only time I've had oil on the outside of a hose, it was the hose between the turbo and intercooler, both times the hose had a small split in it.
Once on a LR Disco, second on the Commander.
Old 14-03-2019
MudSplasher

Liked 133 Times in 104 Posts

08crd, oil will seep outside the rubber hose and sweet out over time. the JK's all suffer from this.

Unless you completely clean the intake you are never going to see a crystal clean intake even after removing the crank case hose from the intake stream.
Old 14-03-2019
I just registered

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yes. It is definitely from turbo. I still hoping it is normal as it is very minimal but enough to sweat outside. If not, I think Id better prepare to replace or rebuild the turbo.
But atm apart from that, no oil consumption , no power loss as far as I can notice. Also it is blowing a lot of air when revving.

So another curious is most of the owner with hpd, provent catch cans, are they happy? Like SouthernComfort said are they still having oily inter cooler hoses?
Old 15-03-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 299 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanwintun View Post
So another curious is most of the owner with hpd, provent catch cans, are they happy? Like SouthernComfort said are they still having oily inter cooler hoses?
I have fitted a provent from brand new and yes still getting oil through. I have cb engineering pipes so very little silicone to seep but I can see some residue seeping out at the intercooler pipe join right at the intake manifold. My provent hoses weep like crazy though. Remember a filter can not be 100% efficient or it would just be a blockage and not pass anything. I think it is just one of those maintenance things that will have to be done from time to time if you care to.

I would be interested to know if the oil residue that eventually coats the entire intake system would really effect intake temperatures. I'm guessing it would be negligible.
I think more of the issue is the caking of the intake from the EGR and crankcase vapour mixing. EGR delete would be more beneficial in my opinion. Just harder to do without an ECU remap. Catchcan anyone can fit without going into legalities of things.
Post New Thread  Reply