Changing power steering fluid - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-06-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Default Power steering fluid flush

Has anyone came across a good procedure with pictures on line on how to completely flush the power steering fluid in the 3 ltr CRD WH?
Old 04-07-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 127 Times in 96 Posts

I've done this recently in my Dad's new Altima (don't ask).

Best way is to remove the return line from the rack. You can do it either at the rack, or on the pump. If you do it on the pump, block the outlet on the pump so it doesn't flow out.

Put the end of the return line in a container, and put a rag over the top to stop it splashing. I used some clear hose from the return line to the container so I could see what was going on. Start the car and run it until the line is empty. best to have a helper here as the pump won't like being run dry, so switching off in time is important. Fill reservoir and do it over again. I did it 3 times to be sure.

Since the reservoir isn't remote, if you want the best result you may need to take the pump off and empty it out upside down before you start. Be sure to fill it to the line with clean fluid every time, and after you are finished, turn the wheels lock to lock a few times to bleed the system and re-check the fluid level when hot to make sure it's correct.

Hope the above makes sense.

Regards,

Robert
Old 05-07-2016
Not a very good stuntmam

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

or if you are excessively lazy:

Pick up a BIG bottle of cheap PS fluid and a bottle of decent fluid and a turkey baster.

Remove as much fluid as possible from the reservoir using the baster and refill with the cheap fluid. I then started the vehicle and cycled the steering, side to side, about 15 times. With the engine off, remove more fluid again using the baster and refill with cheap fluid. Repeat this process as many times as needed until your fluid comes out reasonably clean or you run out of the cheap fluid (which ever you determine is the best). Proceed with this same process but use the Synpower fluid and repeat several more times. You won't end up with completly new fluid this way, but it will be a lot better than when you started.
Old 14-10-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Power steering fluid

Has any one found an after market hydraulic power steering fluid for the Commander e.g MOBILFLUID 424 what is everyone using
Old 14-10-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

I found the real stuff on ebay about half or less what the dealers charge
Old 15-10-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

A couple of WH owners have used Mobil 424 in their ps with no problems. I have topped up mine with 424.The ps fluid from the dealer smells and looks identical to 424.
Old 17-10-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Gents that's what I thought. I had to change out a leaking condenser. Hence I needed to remove the intercooler, power steering cooler to get to the condenser. Replaced the radiator whilst I was at it as well. I then needed to top up the power steering fluid and there is none available from the dealerships in Newcastle at all, that the reason I asked, as I have a few bottles of 424 sitting around after changing the transfer case oil. Good to no
Post New Thread  Reply