Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 64 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
FC will have to deal with it if there is enough information to prove that the update has left the vehicle owners with a dangerous product that puts them in danger.

Media attention is the key.

Regards
Honda.
Agreed...Maybe a call to the ABC Checkout..Should get things rolling..N23 was supposed to be a safety recall..Seems it cured one problem only to create another...Never known software to fix a cracked circuit board though..Would have been better to redesign and supply an updated board rather than take the easy way out that's now shapinging up to to be a major stuffup..About time FC faced up to it.

Last edited by sugarman; 11-06-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-06-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

To be honest I thought I would have seen a complaint in the telegraph's cars guide by now.

My current train of thought is on the voltage fluctuation that triggers the C140F code.

There is no problem with the wiring (short or broken), I doubt there is an issue with the T/C motor or mine would be ok now after it was replaced.
Cracked circuit board is supposed to be in the T/C motor.

I am toying with the idea of a voltage stabilizer & upgrading the earths/grounds of the Jeep.
For a stable voltage it is imperative that you have a good earth. As far as I can see there is no specific earth to the T/C, an earth wire ran back to the negative battery terminal may help stabilise the voltage fluctuation.

I have just ordered a Pivot Mega Raizin voltage stabilizer
http://pivotjp.com/product/vs-m/vs-m-e.html
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PIVOT...item2581130220
I'm not interested in there claims about this & that, just its ability to smooth out the battery/alternator supply.

I am not saying this is the magical cure to our wows, I'm just experimenting with ideas trying to clean up the 5 volts.

But alas none of this should be necessary if F/C did not take shortcuts on safety

Edit
I have sent my infected FDCM to James, he has a few ideas he wants to try.

Last edited by Clarky; 11-06-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Tell me Clarky does the WH have a variable voltage alternator like the WK2??..I think I've said this before on the Commader thread and you too I think..What the software has done is altered the fault trigger thresholds so is less tolerant to voltage fluctuations..You may not have a cracked circuit board in the TC but like you say could be caused by poor earthing..You may be on a winner by cleaning up the 5 Volt supply...Spurious triggering of digital electronics is a problem with poorly filtered power supplies especially with very sensitive trigger levels.

Edit: Having said this about digital electronics & power supplies, maybe a simple suppressor/filter capacitor from the + supply to earth would do it..Just a thought.

Last edited by Wanderer; 11-06-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-06-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
does the WH have a variable voltage alternator like the WK2
Yes its variable voltage but I think the way the computer regulates the voltage is different because of the standard AGM battery in the WK.

It may even be possible fit a capacitor like you do to stop radio interference to the 5 volt supply, take out any AC hum.

Last edited by Clarky; 11-06-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2014
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Yes its variable voltage but I think the way the computer regulates the voltage is different because of the standard AGM battery in the WK.

It may even be possible fit a capacitor like you do to stop radio interference to the 5 volt supply, take out any AC hum.
Actual value (uF) would be trail & error ..Radio interferrence suppressors may not be big enough to do the job but worth a try:

Radio Suppression Capacitor one microfarad, 100 volts min.

Radio Suppression Capacitor 0.5 microfarad, 100 volts min

0.5 microfarad capacitor will not be as effective as a one microfarad capacitor and should only be used when space is restricted

Coaxial Capacitors 0.5 microfarad, 50 volts DC

Think I'd start off with the 1uF and work up if you can fit it in.

Last edited by Wanderer; 12-06-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Typo fixed "may not be"
Old 12-06-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

According to the N23-related TSBs which are floating around, the only changes to the C140F triggers are two conditions both essentially relating to the transfer-case actuator/motor position aka "mode" sensor - Which is referred to simply as an "encoder" in all of the factory documentation I've found.
If it was an optical encoder (measuring shaft rotations for example.), that'd point to fluctuations in the circuit voltage being more likely.

But considering the reports of replacement transfer-case motors temporarily "fixing" the problem; IMO that points towards it using some kind of linear encoder, (maybe contact, such as a potentiometer.) which would be more susceptible to to corrosion/aging (that an optical or most other non-contact encoders.).

So trying to clean-up the supply circuit(s) is definitely worth a shot, but with caution IMO (I wouldn't spend too much cash experimenting with it.).
I don't have proof, but the 5V circuit should be quite well regulated already, just because regulating 5V from ~10-30V is very 'tried and tested', there are so many good cheap & easy regulators available, they would've almost had to go out of their way to regulate it badly .

Anyway, with Clarky's N23-infected FDCM on the way, I'll hopefully have something interesting to report within a few weeks I've basically just been experimenting with a few techniques to fool the FDCM into thinking that it's getting the values it wants from the transfer-case motor.
Old 12-06-2014
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post

So trying to clean-up the supply circuit(s) is definitely worth a shot, but with caution IMO (I wouldn't spend too much cash experimenting with it.).
I don't have proof, but the 5V circuit should be quite well regulated already, just because regulating 5V from ~10-30V is very 'tried and tested',.
All this is true but switching transients and electric motor & shaft noise can affect the 5V regulator as well all these chips have a low voltage dropout parameter but as you say the design is tried and tested though the N23 reflash seems to have altered threshold levels so I wonder if when the TC motor operates it glitches the circuit..Just guessing (Jeep don't seem to care or even have a guess)..Be interesting to Use A Signal Analyzer To Measure Power Supply, Regulator, and Reference Noise to see what is happening if you can beg, borrow or ??..This is a good read about noise from power supply, linear regulators, and voltage references as a major contributor to the limitations of system performance, especially in instrumentation and communications product....There is a problem so all ideas are worth looking at..Process of elimination..Here is a discussion about Automotive Power Regulator Circuits "which may have many fluctuations (spikes, negative voltages, noise, transient voltages"

Last edited by Wanderer; 12-06-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply