Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 67 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got one - after following this thread for the past week after someone kindly pointed me in the right direction, I passed it onto my dealer as this will be my 6th return to the service dept. The response was that the issue may lie with the N23 procedure not being carried out correctly and they will do everything they can to resolve.
Any thoughts on this??
Old 03-07-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtheriddler View Post
I've got one - after following this thread for the past week after someone kindly pointed me in the right direction, I passed it onto my dealer as this will be my 6th return to the service dept. The response was that the issue may lie with the N23 procedure not being carried out correctly and they will do everything they can to resolve.
Any thoughts on this??
Not following the procedure correctly can make the frequency of the error codes worse. Following correct procedure may fix things for a while.

But the real underlying issue still applies; the N23 software is essentially too "restrictive".
Old 03-07-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtheriddler View Post
Any thoughts on this??
Yep......just another BS story from a dealer that knows damn well that there is no fix. Welcome aboard the BS train................

Cheers, Craig
Old 03-07-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
My action against FC over this N23 debacle will be heard in the Grafton District Courthouse on July the 15th.To put it in simple terms I want FC to fix my low 4x4 permanently and immediately or purchase my vehicle back at the price I paid for it in Sept last year.(After 4 trips to the dealer ,10 months later still only maybe fixes.Why should we be used as guinea pigs by FC .Going backwards and forwards to the dealer costs me time and money ,for a problem FC caused.!!!!)
It should be an interesting day.!!
You'd think that FC would just replace the circuit board rather than the cheap way out..Software..Never known it to fix harware faults...The N23 certainly has buggered things up..Not good PR for FC...I didn't have it done and had never experienced loss of 4WD..Sold mine that way so hope the new owner looks here.

Hope you point your Barrister to this page for essential briefing...Numbers will count...Good luck

I too, have been driving Jeeps for 18 years and still have the first but the Commander was probably my favourite..Pity what was supposed to be a safety recall has turned out like this...A positive response from FC would have saved a lot of bad vibe...I'm having second thoughts about my next 4x4 brand as well.

Last edited by Wanderer; 03-07-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2014
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

After a chronic problem with the "Service 4WD System" alarm it has disappeared for the last few weeks. Only three things are different - I installed a GDE Tune, I fully charged the battery and I connected my AGM auxiliary battery for a trip away. Keith from GDE advised it was not the tune, so that leaves the batteries. This is the second time the problem disappeared after recharging the battery. I suspect that when the battery voltage is low the charging system superimposes a mountain range of spiky voltage on top of the steady battery voltage. The 5V regulator is probably not clever enough to stop some of this rough stuff getting through. When the battery voltage comes-up it buries the mountain range. Then the 5V regulator can maintain a steady output voltage and the signal from the transducer stays where the N23 code wants it. I think the AGM auxiliary battery has a lower resistance than the calcium starting battery and is not subject to the rapid discharges, so it is helping soak-out some of the noise and helping keep the system voltage high (like a capacitor would do). Or I may be entirely wrong (a phenomenon that is not unknown)!
Old 04-07-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron57 View Post
After a chronic problem with the "Service 4WD System" alarm it has disappeared for the last few weeks. Only three things are different - I installed a GDE Tune, I fully charged the battery and I connected my AGM auxiliary battery for a trip away. Keith from GDE advised it was not the tune, so that leaves the batteries. This is the second time the problem disappeared after recharging the battery. I suspect that when the battery voltage is low the charging system superimposes a mountain range of spiky voltage on top of the steady battery voltage. The 5V regulator is probably not clever enough to stop some of this rough stuff getting through. When the battery voltage comes-up it buries the mountain range. Then the 5V regulator can maintain a steady output voltage and the signal from the transducer stays where the N23 code wants it. I think the AGM auxiliary battery has a lower resistance than the calcium starting battery and is not subject to the rapid discharges, so it is helping soak-out some of the noise and helping keep the system voltage high (like a capacitor would do). Or I may be entirely wrong (a phenomenon that is not unknown)!
Personally I think you've pretty well nailed it...What I suspected from the start..The N23 reflash has tighened the tolerances too much.

Last edited by Wanderer; 04-07-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-07-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Personally I think you've pretty well nailed it...What I suspected from the start..The N23 reflash has tighened the tolerances too much.
Pretty much what I was thinking too, just another approach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
To be honest I thought I would have seen a complaint in the telegraph's cars guide by now.

My current train of thought is on the voltage fluctuation that triggers the C140F code.

There is no problem with the wiring (short or broken), I doubt there is an issue with the T/C motor or mine would be ok now after it was replaced.
Cracked circuit board is supposed to be in the T/C motor.

I am toying with the idea of a voltage stabilizer & upgrading the earths/grounds of the Jeep.
For a stable voltage it is imperative that you have a good earth. As far as I can see there is no specific earth to the T/C, an earth wire ran back to the negative battery terminal may help stabilise the voltage fluctuation.

I have just ordered a Pivot Mega Raizin voltage stabilizer
http://pivotjp.com/product/vs-m/vs-m-e.html
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PIVOT...item2581130220
I'm not interested in there claims about this & that, just its ability to smooth out the battery/alternator supply.

I am not saying this is the magical cure to our wows, I'm just experimenting with ideas trying to clean up the 5 volts.

But alas none of this should be necessary if F/C did not take shortcuts on safety

Edit
I have sent my infected FDCM to James, he has a few ideas he wants to try.
but it doesn't change the fact that the update is "not fit for purpose" all it would take even with a second battery is a big power drain like a few days camping or using your winch, if you are in the situation of needing to winch then I dare say you will need 4 Low! the locking out the transfer case is a knee jerk reaction, not a thought out solution to a serious but rare occurrence.
The confidence I once had in my Grand has seriously been eroded because of the N23 update.

We are all lucky C/F don't run the health system' we all would have a pace maker in case you have heart attack