Heavy shuddering on highway - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Heavy shuddering on highway

Guys Please help!
I have a jeep GC 2011 diesel. Have issue on bad shuddering problem.
It seems happen on acceleration around 95km. I dont think I feel vibration through steering wheel and is more like some where near transmission. Whole car shakes very badly as it seems driving on unpaved road. When I pull over the car and restart the engine it drives as normal. Just been to the dealer and they changed the torque converter. It was ok for 3 days before it happen again today.
Has been wheel balanced and aligned lately.
Any idea? Please help!!
Old 06-08-2016
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

How are the prop shaft CV's? In particular the front one, transfer case end.

Don't know about the WK2 itself but these are a common cause of problems in jeeps
Old 06-08-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for your reply.
Old 06-08-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

Gday Mav
When i was at the jeep stealership service dept 2 weeks ago, got to talking about tsb's & the nong mentioned (out of the blue) that there was a tsb/update that related to a vibration in the driveline. I replied that i get a small vibration when i accelerate up hills but off course the update didn't apply to my car.
Might be worth checking out.
Silverfox
Old 06-08-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts

If you turn it off then turn it back on it drive fine, it can't be cv or drive shafts.
Does it do it in one perticula gear if so manually change to a lower gear and see if it does it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 06-08-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had a slightly similar event in my 2013 Overland about 12 months ago, but mine occurred between 104-118km/hr. Very disconcerting, the dealer had the car for days and whilst replicatable they could not explain it. They did the front bearings (its a TSB on my model for identical symptoms), tried a new diff out of a car on showroom floor, it had been wheel aligned and balanced twice, eventually they tried to eliminate things & put a whole set of new rims and tyres on and it stopped?? Put each of my wheels back on individually until they found 1 on the rear passenger side was the cause, depute being stripped of tyre they could find no damage to the rim, it balanced fine, the tyre had no damage or flat spots & balanced perfectly (7000km old)yet it vibrated at that speed so bad it felt like gearbox shudder.
I had on rare occasions experienced what felt like gearbox shudder whilst accelerating up hill with the 5 speed box and was convinced it was gearbox related when it started.
This may have been a one off but hope the story makes you realise your not the only one scratching your head, Jeep had a hard time diagnosing mine.

Last edited by ao767brad; 06-08-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you. It happens normally 5th gear but it still same when I shift down to 4th.
Post New Thread  Reply