OzTent - Best Tent or Worst Tent? - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Camping suggestions
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-06-2018
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
Further to my post in 2013, I am a proud owner of an RV4 which I bought 2 years ago, with the fly, and the front extension panels (which I only use if we are going to stay put for a while). I cannot say enough about this set up. It is a home away from home. I can actually live permanently in one of these.

I did not buy for the RV5 as I felt that it is a little too large for my needs. The front extension panels are useful to keep extra shelter from the sun and I tend to put things like chairs, and anything I don't want to sit out in the open overnite. I will be buying a front screen to allow for complete enclosure.

Recently, I also purchased Helinox stretcher cots which means this tent is now a 5 star hotel.*****

The XJ roof bar issue was solved through the purchase of a Rhino Pioneer Platform rack. The RV4 now sits as solid as a rock, perfectly flat, without the risk of warping.

As a backup, I always carry an Outdoor Expedition Ninox 3600 in case it is blowing a gale. This kit packs up into a small bundle.

The only thing I can honestly say I don't like about the tent is that someone can steal it while it sits on the rack. There is no security system that will allow the tent's skeleton to somehow be securely fastened through a cable lock on the rack. Can anyone suggest a hack???

This has to be one of my favourite vids below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmsVA1hwVI
I have an RV2 that would be going on 10 years old now, including all the awning side walls and a floor. Haven't used it for 6 years now because I have a camper trailer but we used to carry it in an Thule roof box on top of a Prado. Protected it from the elements whilst driving and kept it secure. Also had room for the awning walls and a small gas bottle in there!

Its for sale if anyone wants it, give me an reasonable offer. Located eastern suburbs, Sydney
Old 09-12-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 184 Times in 117 Posts

Was out camping with this tent on the weekend. Decided to give it a bit of a shakedown as it had not been used for a while.

The day time temperature at our destination was around 30 degrees C, and as the evening went on, the air seemed dry enough that I thought I should not bother installing the fly.

For those not familiar with the Oztent Fly, think of it as a cape type attachment that zips (and velcros) at the highest ridge line of the tent and from there, it is suspended just above the tent with its own poles and guy ropes. Out of habit, I pegged the fly anyway.

The next morning, I got up at 5am to start a fire and decided to take the fly off the tent. To my amazement, the underside of the fly was dripping with water (note, this could be an excellent survival hack if you have run out of water). I have not seen this amount of condensation before in dry weather. The tent itself remained dry.

If you are considering the purchase of an Oztent, the Oztent Fly (sold separately) is a MUST, even in the dry!

I mentioned Helinox cots in an earlier post. I tested them out for the first time. If you have the Cot One Long (240cm), you will be able to fit three of them side by side in the RV4 Oztent. However, there will be very little room to keep anything else in the tent. I would guess the same applies to the RV5 as it is only 20cm wider on each side over the RV4.

During the day, when the cots are not needed, they can either be stacked up on top of each other or alternatively, they are very quick to pack up and set up - can be stored in the the corner of the tent (in their bags) or in the car (esp if you plan to leave your camp unattended) until the evenings.

I felt like one of those VIP Bedouins with this kind of setup! It will give a good night's sleep, and reduce fatigue to the point that you can tour longer and forget about having to ever return home (like the Bedouins).

Last edited by eksjay; 10-12-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 30-06-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you so much for so many useful tips here! I was searching for some useful information about campings as I work as a professional editor for https://expertwriter.net so thankfully I found here all that I needed.
Old 01-07-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I researched the hell out of which tent to get before buying.
  • It had to be bomb proof. Winter camping in rain and wind storms is what we like doing.
  • It had to be quick to erect. ^^^ Because storms
  • It had to be roomy enough for us.

Ended up getting the RV5, with all the extras, and it's well and truly serving us well. You must secure ALL the ropes in high wind otherwise the structure is not sufficiently supported. Don't chance it (ok builder's hat off). With all the ropes securing it we've laughed and then slept through some crazy serious coastal storms. Tent has never budged. We never get wet.

The only suggestion I'd have for OzTent is sew in more loops/sleeve to go around that front veranda roof, along the furtherest outer roof line tube. It's not good enough when there is no front wall/screen fitted. There's not much to secure the tube and roof in place when it's just the roof.

The RV5 won't suit everyone. The main issue for some would have to be the size of the package when packed up. It's about 2700 x 500 x 350 or so from memory.

RV5 Fits snug inside a GC if the rear seat is down and it rests on the centre console, but some will have panic attacks about having it there. We prefer it on the roof though.

Trivia tid bit:
The WJ/WG GC roof rails continue forward, almost to the A-Pillar.
The WH GC roof rails stop at the B-Pillar

Last edited by Hoobz; 01-07-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-08-2019
Full Flexer

Once again, stayed in the luxury of our RV4 at Halligan Bay, Lake Eyre. Definitely needed the blue screws due to the softness of the sand. The tent was a welcome change to the cabins we had been staying at up until this point of our trip.

The only thing I would mention apart from needing the blue screws is that we also took the large square rubber mats that we usually place on the floor of the tent for added floor protection. As we had our Helinox Cots, we needed the mats to ensure the Cot feet did not directly push or cut into the floor of the tent especially since the sand beneath us was soft.

I had kept thinking that I should not have taken the mats with us on the trip to save space, but I am glad that we did.

Of course, I put the floor saver underneath the tent regardless.

We found a semi exposed rusted out railway dog spike near our tent. Go figure...

Wish we were still there....

Picture: 'beached' at Halligan Bay (photo taken while packing up).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake Eyre.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	78476  

Last edited by eksjay; 15-08-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2020
Full Flexer

With the unprecedented megablaze bushfires still ravaging townships this summer season, one of the must have items to pack for an evacuation is the trusted camping gear/tent.

Many coastal tourists and residents who couldn't leave due to closed roads or wanted to stay near their properties, camped out at their nearest cricket ovals.

As part of my Bushfire plan, I had my XJ ready with the oztent on the rack and all the equipment needed to sustain extended overnight stays away from home, or in the unfortunate event the house (and garaged JKU) burned down, to be able to return and camp on the property.

Although I had my fridge freezer with me, the solar blanket would never have been up to the task of keeping things cool (once the aux boxed battery died) because of the smoke blocking out daylight. In the end, I could not buy a generator in time when the fires struck. Thankfully, the house and my neighbourhood survived a major scare. I will buy that generator as a future contingency.

The tent as a minimum ( no matter if it's an oztent rv4 or a budget nylon dome), is an essential item that can be called upon to be a trusty shelter at times of disaster as well as a planned holiday. If it's an Oztent with all the kit and kaboodle, it is a familiar home away from home.

Last edited by eksjay; 06-01-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2020
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,550 Times in 4,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
With the unprecedented megablaze bushfires still ravaging townships this summer season, one of the must have items to pack for an evacuation is the trusted camping gear/tent.

Many coastal tourists and residents who couldn't leave due to closed roads or wanted to stay near their properties, camped out at their nearest cricket ovals.

As part of my Bushfire plan, I had my XJ ready with the oztent on the rack and all the equipment needed to sustain extended overnight stays away from home, or in the unfortunate event the house (and garaged JKU) burned down, to be able to return and camp on the property.

Although I had my fridge freezer with me, the solar blanket would never have been up to the task of keeping things cool (once the aux boxed battery died) because of the smoke blocking out daylight. In the end, I could not buy a generator in time when the fires struck. Thankfully, the house and my neighbourhood survived a major scare. I will buy that generator as a future contingency.

The tent as a minimum ( no matter if it's an oztent rv4 or a budget nylon dome), is an essential item that can be called upon to be a trusty shelter at times of disaster as well as a planned holiday. If it's an Oztent with all the kit and kaboodle, it is a familiar home away from home.
Hate to be negative but tents are a problem as if there is ember attack they catch fire. The other day police were telling people with tents at a south coast safe place to take them down so as not to have a spot fire start. You need a fire proof fly to put over the top.