Door Check strap... Anyone had the Pleasure - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts
Question Door Check strap... Anyone had the Pleasure

the pin broke on the body side of the check strap must of happened when the door was opened I got a spare and pins but the strap is mostly inside the door I tried pulling it out with vice grips come out a little then went back in
I was thinking brute force is next maybe use coat hanger wire tie off to the door side close the door most of the way tie off or somehow hold on the body side and open the door after drowning inside the door with wd40 anyone got any ideas
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 11-07-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I smacked mine out with a hammer. When I got my XJ it had a screw in place of the pin, went to the wreckers and nicked one out of a car, hammered the prick out and did the same to install.
Old 12-07-2018
AJOR Bronze

Yes the pin. But the strap is inside the door mostly. Closed position. Soaking in wd40 at the moment will use the wire and try brute force.
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Last edited by LuluBelle; 12-07-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
Yes the pin. But the strap is inside the door mostly. Closed position. Soaking in wd40 at the moment will use the wire and try brute force.
Oh rip, I'd try to get multigrips or vicegrips onto it. Pull the doorcard off too, takes 2 mins on an XJ.
Old 12-07-2018
AJOR Bronze

Success sorta the wd40 worked used the vicegrips and got it out but the hole is worn the pin is loose and falls out bummer nut and bolt fixed
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 16-07-2018
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Same thing happened to both the front doors on our XJ back in... yikes, like 98? In fact, both failed AND both the front door hinges failed within the same year, scary stuff. I remember we were camping up near Rainbow bay, opened the passenger door to get something, the check hinge pin flew out into the dunes, and the main hinges practically exploded... The door just fell to the ground, scared the bejesus out of little 12yo me. 6 months later, drivers door did the same thing. We sure did get a real lemon of an XJ hahaha, back in the early days it was something new every day.

I too secured mine with nuts and bolts and a good helping of grease. Been that way now for about 10 years and couldn't be happier, even stopped the overly loud CRACK the stock ones were making before the pin failed. Did you use high tensile bolts? Be a good idea :P
Old 16-07-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

my upper drivers door hinge shows evidence of crude welding at the top of the hinge.

the door makes a cracking sound open/close

recently, I noticed it doesnt always close good, and is dropping about 1/4"

it also seems the body metal the hinge is welded to might be flexing a little

all this adds up to removing my (dented) front guard, and seeing what needs to be done...I suspect a thin shaped reinforcing plate wants welding on to the Jeep frame??

I will also grind & repair the shitty looking hinge weld with MIG

I note there is an official Jeep hinge repair pdf...it mentions a hinge reinforcement plate that is rivetted on...I could not understand it

Go Jeeps website shows an issue with the door check strap being too short, and recommends replacement with (I think) a Grand Cherokee item)

I have a spare black guard to install in replace of my bashed one, but wants painting 1st
Post New Thread  Reply