Beat it or Baby it - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Question Polls
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: Beat it or baby it
Beat it like a bitch 27 33.33%
Baby it on road like a girl 54 66.67%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-12-2008
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisNut View Post
Nope, I would happily bring bring it out for easy trips or club days but not work it much harder than it can easily handle in 4WD, I may even drive it to work on clear days but if I want to 4WD, I'll take something more capable.
Retro Question, supposedly this was a complete replica built from all catalogue parts chassis etc, then what would you do with it?
i could take it out for easy runs as well, but just that. EASY

if i had spent the money on the resto, i'd almost be locking away the keys.

Old 22-12-2008
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While we're on the topic..........

The way everyone is so wrapped up in making cars into investments sucks....

How many awsome cars are locked away never to be used again? hidden in some guys garage, just so he can brag to his mates how good he is and make a profit when sold years down the track.

Not all that long ago you could see GT falcons, Monaro's, Torana's, Chargers and even common as dog sh!t EH's driving around.
Retired race cars used to still be used at club level.

Now, they're all locked away.

All with the same lame excuse - to preserve history... blah blah blah..

It's all about money, if it wasn't, they would be getting driven.

Gets boring looking at camry's and commodores..........
Old 22-12-2008
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIIIO View Post

How many awsome cars are locked away never to be used again? hidden in some guys garage, just so he can brag to his mates how good he is and make a profit when sold years down the track.

Not all that long ago you could see GT falcons, Monaro's, Torana's, Chargers and even common as dog sh!t EH's driving around.

i will say in defence to all those who own those sorts of automobiles, that it is becoming increasingly harder to use them for they were originally built for.

alot of those car you wanna go fast in, but strict-er road rules prevent us from having fun with those cars.

the last VC Brock we had did 250kms in 9mths, and just coz everytime we took it out, at some point we wanted to go fast.

take it from a red P plater. 61 in a 60 and there goes my license for 3mths.

but in saying all that, i still see exactly what you are saying and still strongly agree.

Old 22-12-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:

It's not rare or collectable.
Only about 60,000 of these built over 50 years ago.

Considering over 700,000 WW2 army Jeeps were built and one sold for over $30,000 recently, I would consider it rare and collectable.

Baby it, knowing you have the best flat fender to ever leave the factory.
Old 22-12-2008
Pollie Waffle

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

beat it, my JK cost me more than that, and look at it :D
Old 22-12-2008
Original Mexican Mafia

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
I understand this point however there is a reason why this is so. I owned a E38 Bathurst Charger. All original and semi restored. Now they are worth $100's of thousands. back then it wasnt. So towards the end of my owner ship I only took it out to club runs and short runs here and there purely to minimize the chance of screwin it up. Think to the future......
Mission man. Sylverster stallone and Sandra Bullock. Remember the fast back stored in the underground. Thats what these muscle cars will end up like in the future. They are not daily drivers. They need to be preserved. Just so people know what it used to be like in the old days.
If I had the charger still I wouldnt leave it parked in a shopping centre car park like Ido the Jeep. Although the Jeep owes me more than the charger ever did its not rare.
Old 22-12-2008
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:

I can see your point, but it does go both ways.

There are people that see them simply as investments, but more often than not, a lot of owners absolutely love their cars & wouldn't trade them for the world - for most there's a lot of sentiment involved in owning these types of vehicles.

... but ... these 'classics' are getting rare. Genuine parts are getting scarce & this means prices are sky-rocketing.

I own a 1974 HQ Ute. Everytime I have to go to Rare Spares, I see the prices for simple things like new door trims, window winders or wiper water bottles & I nearly cry. Decals for your engine bay cost $50 each. Regardless of whether it's NOS or Reproduction, maintaining these types of vehicles is very expensive.

Driving them everyday puts them at higher risk to damage & theft. Why deliberately put your pride & joy in the firing line just to show everyone how cool you think you are? In most cases, they really are irreplaceable.

Your JK Wrangler gets stolen? So what! You get your insurance cheque, and go to the nearest Jeep dealer and buy an identical replacement.

Your Genuine 1971 HQ GTS 350 Monaro gets written-off/stolen? 1 of only 100 ever released in that exterior/interior combination, and quite possibly the last of which still standing! Well, that is - quite literally - a piece of Australian Motoring History forever gone.

Last edited by rooks; 22-12-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply