What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 53 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Pulled my rear drums today to fit new cylinders and found 1 piece axles, meaty pads, NEW bearings and fresh grease and everything in good condition. I fitted the new cylinders anyway and the new hardware and buttoned it all back up.

Seems the PO DID do acquaintance on this car as he said he did.

One issue though....

The new brake hardware kit came with these parts and the car doesnt have them. Of course no instructions were provided and the shop manual i have doesnt help. Anyone got some info on them?

Old 08-01-2013
Rock Munki

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

The new brake hardware kit came with these parts and the car doesnt have them. Of course no instructions were provided and the shop manual i have doesnt help. Anyone got some info on them?

[/QUOTE]
Thats the self adjuster cable for the rear brakes .
they don't work most of the time so most people leave them off ,(I did on mine )
WJ Grand
Old 08-01-2013
StaunStar

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

Those bits are e say to fit up if all the bits are still there. As said the self adjuster doesn't always work the best, but is suppose to adjust the brake automatically when the hand brake is pulled or brake is applied when reversing.
Make sure you check the condition of the flex hose at the diff center up to the chassis, they are normally rooted if never been changed.
It's good the bearing is recently greased as the one piece axel bearings are smaller.
A grease nipple and bleed can be put in to grease the bearing when serviced.
Old 08-01-2013
Full Flexer

Got new flex hoses to go on all round. The center T section on the back diff is leaking and ive not found another one yet. I really need to replace the rear lines but i might just take them to a brake place and get some new ones made up.
Old 09-01-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

If you fit the cable & guide - make sure the guide isfully seated in the shoe or the cable will be the incorrect length for the ratchet mechanism to work.
Old 09-01-2013
StaunStar

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
Got new flex hoses to go on all round. The center T section on the back diff is leaking and ive not found another one yet. I really need to replace the rear lines but i might just take them to a brake place and get some new ones made up.
Any good brake supply shop will make the new lines if you take in the samples. they should be able to supply a juction as well.
Old 10-01-2013
Full Flexer

Replaced the bottom bearings in the steering column (i can confirm it can be done without stripping the whole column apart or even removing it from the car. Removing the booster helped)
Installed the new lower steering shaft.
Installed new door strikers
Installed new lower door pins
Installed new hood to grill grommets
Removed seats and sent to upholsterer for a freshen up.
Installed new braided line in rear (well, one end of it till the new hardlines are made)
Post New Thread  Reply