What did you do to your Grand today (ZJ/WJ)? - Page 15 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-04-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 169 Times in 108 Posts
Default What did you do to your Grand today?

Hi Craig, it's one of the several larger get-togethers the club holds each year. The location varies each year and is decided by club members. Last year was at Avoca, with quite a few trips run out of there.
Members come for day trips or stay single or multiple nights and catch up, swap war stories and generally have a great time away.
We have a large dinner together on the Saturday evening.

The next big weekend get together is the Mt Skene snow trip. This is usually in mid to late August.

Have a look at www.mjoc.org.au and you'll get an idea about the club.

Cheers
Old 25-04-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Default What did you do to your Grand today?

Went to Anzac parade to pay my respects and to acknowledge those who have given and those who have lost. Lest we forget.

After banging through the bush with my local 4wd club (not blessed with a jeep club here in Mackay) last Sunday I finally got the chance to get underneath my WJ to dislodge any large mud clumps and to have a bit of a look around for any issues or damage. Found a few things but surprised at the fact that there was not more evidence of how bad the tracks were.

To give you an idea we went to a loop track that is about 17 kms long and in the dry season presents some technical driving challenges and is usually done in about 1.5 hrs. On this occasion after some recent wet weather (and 13 vehicles in the convoy) we had only covered 2.5 kms after 3.5 hrs! It was decided that given it was 2 pm by this stage we all turned around and headed back out the way we came in. At least we had all got out and had a go, got our cars very dirty and had a ball doing it.

List of damage as follows:
1. belted the steering damper on a rock and it is now leaking so need to replace it (see first photo)
2. I seem to have broken two of the three earth or ground straps under the car. I don't know what they are called or what purpose they serve so if anyone has some feedback on need to replace or not that would be great. (see second photo)
3. Found wet leak around back of transfer case but probably not caused on this trip. I figure a new gasket required for this one. (see third photo)
4. Cut a chunk out of one of my tyres but still ok as spare so better swap it out with the spare which is still brand new so no compromise there.
5. Found that seal at output of transfer case is wet so new pinion seal for that and also the uni joint assembly at that point is all shiney as if new. Don't know what's going on there as there is no play and no sign of damage but all other components in the vicinity dirty. Any suggestions? (see fourth photo)
6. Blew out two of my shockies - one front and opposite rear (see fifth photo) - so just floating on the coils on two corners now. They were second hand a while ago (thanks pmac) so have to source a new set of 3 inch shocks now too.

That's the full list of injuries. After the full inspection I set about giving the car some love with a total wash and wax. Despite the ever growing number of bush inflicted pin-striping it came up a treat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horse creek 043.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	61421   Click image for larger version

Name:	horse creek 046.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	61422   Click image for larger version

Name:	horse creek 051.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	61423   Click image for larger version

Name:	horse creek 053.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	61424   Click image for larger version

Name:	horse creek 049.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	61425  

Old 25-04-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Finished my midnight shift at 6am, caught a bit of the dawn service, got two hours sleep, then went and picked up all the parts to rebuild my 4.7 timing gear. Spent the rest of the day doing exactly that. Didn't encounter any major issues (which worries me a little), adn put tools down about 1/2 hour ago. I feel like the walking dead right now. Looking forward to a good nights sleep, then tomorrow reinstall the rocker covers, radiator and cooling fan, power steer pump etc, and hopefully have it running by the arvo.

BONUS!! Scored a tow bar on ebay for $100.

Hope this is the end of the major problems for me for here on in
Old 26-04-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

Re uni shiny, looks to me as though something has been rubbing on it, maybe a bit if grass/twig etc, as it is only on the yoke and not on the uni itself it doesn't look like anything to worry about, there is not another earth strap dangling around there is there?
Did you do Captains Crossing loop? I have been meaning to go for a look there one day.
Old 26-04-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Gidday GMEMUD.
Yes it was the Captains Crossing loop. Lots of water flow erosion on downhill sections, the first stream crossing was flowing about 500mm deep, with 13 cars involved lots of water carried out of streams making exiting harder and of course bucket loads of black soil created havoc everywhere. Lots of winching and snatch recoveries slowing progress.
A month without rain and we should be able to get around the loop.
Old 26-04-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sold the WG Grand privately and now have a brand new FJ Cruiser in the driveway , one reason for the change is when the wife first sat in the FJ her comment was '' Much like my Jeep '' ,, that is her 05 KJ which we are keeping until it gets passed on to our young fella when he gets old enough for his driving licence.......
Old 26-04-2013
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
The best 2 vehicles I have found to work on have been my old Series3 Landy and my current WG, well the ZG wasn't too bad either it's rad was removed in about 30 mins I was most impressed, bloody Ford AU 4lt was a pain to do timing belt as had to drop the sump to put everything back together, bloody pain big time that is, have to lift engine or drop sub frame.

Then again the F100 wasn't too bad, just climbed into the engine bay with tool box. lol not so nowadays though.
Try changing the clutch on a Brumby, 20 mins for the clutch rest of the day is spent pulling stuff off and putting back together.
All Ladies are pretty good to work on once you take the bonnet off, and sit on the nice and flat front guards.

Worst truck I work on these days is the my fathers F-250. It is bloody high, with a lowish bonnet line and the engine sits low in the chassis so you spend a heap of time upside down.

The WG isn't to bad for most things though, injectors are the worst job I've done so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
If the injectors on my CRD need doing I think it may be an insurance job, aarrgghh.
In reality they probably need looking at now, it isn't that hard a job if you take a hole saw to the firewall/cowl. Much easier than dropping the engine to get 4 and 5 out.

Jason
Post New Thread  Reply