Diesel Engine Oil Choices? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-06-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

Yeah, that is a pretty vague answer IMO. And then there are caveats on oils meeting standards too....this is the Enviro+ 5w-40 specs. Have a look near the bottom for the A3/B4 compliance and the manufacture date exemption. And the 'out of warranty' note.

Manufacturer's (OEM) Approvals & Industry Licenses
API LICENSED
GM Dexos 2™ Licensed
MB-Approval 229.51
Industry & Manufacturer's Specifications
ACEA C3
API SJ/CF
API SL/CF
API SM/CF
API SN/CF
BMW LL-04
BMW Longlife-04
GM Dexos™ 2
MB 229.31
MB 229.51
Porsche A40
VW 502 00
VW 505 00
VW 505 01
Suitable for Use where Specifications below are required
(FOR OUT OF WARRANTY SERVICE)
A3/B4 (PRIOR TO 2010)
ACEA C2
ILSAC GF-5
Old 29-06-2018
Established Member

Liked 54 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Laredo View Post
This is a reply I got from the Viva Technical help desk on the 2nd May 18

"Many thanks for your email - Shell do not list the sulphated Ash content for Helix Ultra 5W-40 - but the specification A3/B3 A3/B4 requires a level between 0.9 - 1.5% which is met by this oil"

Kind Regards,

Alicia / Technical Helpdesk
T 1300 134 205 F 1300 134 209
E technicalhelpdesk@vivaenergy.com.au

Cheers
I have also tried to get the full oil spec. from Shell. When I get home I will get a virgin oil analysis done and post it on here for all.
I believe the saps to be about 1.2 which fits in with your info. I am happy to run with 1.2. Better for the engine in by view.
Old 16-08-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Check out my Ride(s)

I know this thread is a few months old and has been posted to death by everyones opinion but as a new 2nd hand WK diesel GC owner I went looking for oil at Repco / SC / Bursons and Autobarn and spend hours scouring the shelves, reading all the spec and manufacturers blurbs. None mentioned CJ-4 except Valvoline Engine Armour 5w-40. So I got that and a Repco filter and must say she is much quieter now ( likely because of new oil .)
So I believe that is another option for those looking for oil. I've only ever used Nulon and Penrite before so this is my first Valvoline.

Sigh - gone are the days I ran my 78 Volvo 245 on $5 Safeway for 350,000+ trouble free Km's, not so much as a tick sound. I did change it every 10K kms without fail so I think the regular services counts for something.
Old 16-08-2018
Established Member

Liked 48 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67HR View Post
Troutman, I used that Penrite at my 50K service, genuine filter and I've done 10k since. I rang and spoke to a Penrite Tec re the CJ4 issue and he said it was ok and the 5w-40+ was the best choice so I ran with it.

Hope this helps
Well have been running this oil since 7,500Km's ... I'm now at 100,000Km's. No Problems & no drama from service center either... But... I do have a catch can.
Old 16-08-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starion VR4 View Post
Well have been running this oil since 7,500Km's ... I'm now at 100,000Km's. No Problems & no drama from service center either... But... I do have a catch can.
That's good to know mate. Have you had any active DPF regens you know of and what type of driving do you normally do....city, highway, towing?
Old 17-08-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 819 Times in 460 Posts

There are several things that should be noted re oil specs etc. So called oil manufacturers etc to get certification from auto companies in most cases have to pay money to that company.Bit like getting the Heart tick of approval on products in Australia.There are also a very small number of oil tech companies around the world who advise oil manufacturers of what blends viscosities etc are best for certain brands of vehicles.Sometimes oil suppliers like Penrite get it very wrong as in the case of correct oil for WH GC transfer case. Penrite did not know there were two TC s in USA fitted to this vehicle.Advised ATF for the transfer cases in Aus vehicles which was completely wrong. Caused many failures.When Mobil 1 0-30 came on the market it caused huge engine wear problems,as many engine rebuilders would attest to.Engine low oil pressure lights coming on ,scuffed camshafts,etc etc

Last edited by bjm; 17-08-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 17-08-2018
Established Member

Liked 54 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzAndBec View Post
I know this thread is a few months old and has been posted to death by everyones opinion but as a new 2nd hand WK diesel GC owner I went looking for oil at Repco / SC / Bursons and Autobarn and spend hours scouring the shelves, reading all the spec and manufacturers blurbs. None mentioned CJ-4 except Valvoline Engine Armour 5w-40. So I got that and a Repco filter and must say she is much quieter now ( likely because of new oil .)
So I believe that is another option for those looking for oil. I've only ever used Nulon and Penrite before so this is my first Valvoline.

Sigh - gone are the days I ran my 78 Volvo 245 on $5 Safeway for 350,000+ trouble free Km's, not so much as a tick sound. I did change it every 10K kms without fail so I think the regular services counts for something.
A CJ4 oil is very hard to find in Australia of the classification system we use.
World wide there ars 2 systems, ACEA which is European and API which is American.
We mainly use the ACEA system so you see codes like C3/B4.
CJ4 is an API clasification, mainly use in the States.
Trick is finding an ACEA classification that is equivalent to the API one.
Post New Thread  Reply