Myths and fairy tails about the VM TD - Page 20 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-11-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
The oil pressure is more than ok!
Bosch does not build any filters by themselve- but they are known to be good. I have to look who is building them.

The turbulences.
Mr. Bernoulli and his laminar flow is a pain in the a**. But he was excellent.
Punching holes can be worse than going without it.
To find this out you need a vaccum meter. It shows the difference of laminar flow between the outside and the inside. Even the shape or a protection net is influencing the flow.
We wanted to protect the surface of an oil cooler with a wire net. It turned out that the mesh was to small. it made the cooler useless.
A punched out hole is what it is a simple plain hole- it does not allow any laminar flow.

Hydraulic hoses cover a pressure of 100 up to 200bar. And they are build to resist scuffing and bending. This is the range where you should look at.

Standard hoses with 10bar burst pressure are dangerous. During the start up phase pressure can exeed 10bars with ease.

Even standard oil coolers have a burst pressure rated around 20bar.

So what hoses to look at? Just do it as the pros. Use Teflon hoses. They are oil resistant and will never fail-if you can bite the coin. They are easily more expensive than your complete oil cooler arrangement.
But it is, without a doubt, the best insurance against fail. Havn't seen any race car with rubber hoses for years.

Last question: You do use an oil cooler without thermostat?
Thats not good, because warm up is extended tremedously.
There is a reason for the water/ oil cooler- it help to reach operational temperatures quicker during warm up. This engine is very sensitive to oil.

look at bosh filters

where you installed your oil cooler?

here where i live, in the summer, enviromental temperatures are around 27º~33º C, in the hottest days raises at 37~39ºC ( is rare) , in the winter are around 14~15ºC in the coldest nights 9~10ºC ( is rare too). The oil thermostat is realy important to me?
I didnt removed the stock water/oil cooler, in such case the oil temperatures are reaching operational temperatures with same time as before.. or a bit more time....
you agree?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filtro-de-oleo-bosch-0986b00021_MLB-F-4185137535_042013.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	65477  
Old 27-11-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Filter is not the correct one- too short. Filters for Diesel engines are general larger.
Old 27-11-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this is ony a ilustrative photo, for show you that BOSH made/sold oil filters here in Brazil.
Old 27-11-2013
Full Flexer

yes...and?
Old 03-11-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Hi Deezelweazel i would lik to get a book with tips on the vm motor here in South Africa. Bought a diesel xj with a motor that ran the rear main bearing on start up. So I kinda need to figure out why it did.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Old 26-06-2015
Full Flexer

Still working on it- takes a lot more time than I expected.
Skipped on the first version- no need for others to laugh at my mistakes
Old 22-09-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

HI Deezalwazel. Thank you so much for the information that you have been sharing on this group. It has been extremely helpful. I would like to get you opinion though.
I bought an XJ diesel. Love the machine. Engine was redone, owners had the viscous cooling system replaced with electric fan. I have noticed there are 2 x fans. The stock electric fan and the new fan that was mounted inside the shroud. This system has worked very well so far and has been keeping the engine nice an cool.

The radiator core was also replaced. However recently with temperatures creeping up again in summer I have noticed on long drives up long hills that the temperature gauge would suddenly jump from 90 - 110'. Even though I stop open the bonnet I can see both fans running. Afters a couple of seconds the fans switch off. I then looked at the gauge and it is still at 110'.

If I switch off the engine and start again then all is normal. Can this bee to a faulty sensor on the head? Maybe the electric fan system is not good enough?

What is the ideal cfm rating for the cooling fan?

Your help will be highly appreciated. Thanks for all the tips. It has helped me tremendously in understanding this complex engine!
Post New Thread  Reply