thinking about buying a JK - think again - Page 27 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2011
Discombobulation express

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Whats wrong with the 'kini chicks owning the mall crawlers & with the pin stripe wearers never seeing dirt? each to their own. I'll still gut the auction wreck when they can't drive it & stack it! I'm looking forward to my 2012 showing up in May. I'll pick over the corpse of their old ownership fads to frankenstein mine on for years to come! The more jeeps they sell- the easier to find the bits I want!
Old 11-12-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

My Rubi 3.8 Unlim has now done 105000km. So far only had to replace wear and tear (clutch, clutch slave cylinder, recall steering dampener, warranty roof leak fix). No other problems. It is built like a truck and rides like one, too. I have had many a great outback trip in it and hope to have many more. Can't wait for the Pentastar engine. Cheeers.
Old 20-12-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Soooo....

Hey Lads, new to forum, but not to Wranglers. Didn't realise there was an Aussie forum, been on the US one for a couple years.

I've had some issues (some poor service dept, others design flaw).

-Transfer case bushings (top and bottom, break regularly), easy but time consuming fix (internal one time consuming).
-Drowned Engine (design flaw-fixed by snorkel application)
-Faulty headlight wiring looms (still unfixed)
-Steering linkage assembly or "steering knock"(which I still is hanging around in the background)

All happened at the most inappropriate of times.

When approaching my local servicing department for any issue I always know it's going to turn into a cluster-f$%k. In saying that, because I know how useless these bastards are, I bought a service manual off the internet (which I like to call "idiots guide to dis/re-assemble jk"). I now do EVERYTHING myself, with the exception of major services. If I'm going to have to pay some a-hole at a OEM service department money, I'd sooner take it somewhere else and have it serviced by a mechanic that I know will do a fantastic job for the sake of $50 more.

In saying that, I love my Jeep. I love the fact that it's easy enough to work on myself (not having any form of mechanic background, but am handy with a spanner and various tools) and out-of-the box capable. With 33 muddies and 2" lift I go the same places as my mate with a trayback GQ with 6" lift, 35's and a LS1. Knowing that I can fix most problems myself, and driving (not thrashing, but certainly trying 90% of obstacles in WA) I know that any 4wd will have some breakage along the way. Older cars would certainly be easier to fix, and if I wanted fuel economy I wouldn't have bought a 4wd.

Good luck with your jeeps, it's a shame that more aren't seen on the roads these days. I do give out the obligatory "one finger off the steering wheel salute" or jeep wave to fellow jeepers in passing.

Just remember : "It's a Jeep Thing"
Old 20-12-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

welcome Ozzie.

Its not a bad thing there arent a heap of jeeps here as does make them that bit more unique but they are certainly getting alot more popular these days. Our club started with 2 jeeps amongst nissans, toyotas, fords, sangyongs, rangies etc etc but now we have 6 jeeps in the club to keep the other boys honest.