Another WH Swirl motor victim - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Swirl motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj33p View Post
Have they said what caused it to fail again?

There seems to be a few repeat offenders, are they sealing up the seal which i had done after mine went (also Oct 2010) i also then had a Provent Filter fitted and have done almost 30,000k's since, but will get it checked at the 100,000k's service next week.
When I bought the Commander in 2008, there was a lot of reporting about the turbo inlet pipe on O/S forums. I took a print out to the dealership on the first service.
Second service they installed the modified pipe, fingers crossed 4 years later and nearly 90,000k no problems.
Why the hell didn't Jeep just supply the modified pipe to all the cars, during servicing?

Must admit though, I do have a pack of 4.7k 1/2watt resistors from Jaycar $0.45c, in the glovebox. LOL
Old 01-12-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I was just wondering, as this seems to be an issue on the WH 3.0L, if it is worth wile considering fitting a Provent to my WK2?
Old 01-12-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default WK2 provent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachy View Post
I was just wondering, as this seems to be an issue on the WH 3.0L, if it is worth wile considering fitting a Provent to my WK2?
Filtering the CCV if it is returning to the turbo inlet, probably has some merrit.
However the problem with the OM642 was pretty unique and related more to the rubber used and the position of the swirl motor.
Most motors have CCV returning to the inlet, not many were V6 with a swirl motor.
It could have been worse, Nissan Patrol 3l diesels blew up.
The WK2 has a Fiat Iveco V6 diesel, does it have a dodgy turbo inlet pipe? Does it have a swirl motor directly underneath?
Putting a CCV filter on will help remove suspended oil vapours and keep you intercooler cleaner.
I doubt the swirl motor issue will be the achillies heel of the Iveco, the problems will surface.
All engines have some flaws.
Even LEGENDS
http://www.ohwhatalemon.com/
Old 02-12-2012
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

The failing swirl motors is only half the issue and the other issue is prevelent on all modern diesels. The issue is the exhaust soot from the EGR mixing with the oil blowby and gumming up the inlet manifold all the way from where the EGR is introduced to the valve. My 2.7 had a layer right through and at it's thickest at the inlet ports in the head was nearly 3mm thick so reduce your inlet openings by 6mm and think what that does to effeciency. With the high boost of modern CRD engines they will all have some form of blowby so if you don't want to disable the EGR then a Provent is a worthwhile investment (as is disabling the EGR).

Have a look on just about any forum where there is a decent model run of CRD engines and I bet you'll find plenty of info on disabling the EGR and most likely Provent or at least some home made filtering system. I know for a fact it is big on the Discovery 2 and Pathfinder forums for example.