Welding and Fabriction advice 101 - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2011
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Well I opted for a Speedglas 9100xx.
Would have liked the flip up to grind feature of the FX series - but couldn't really justify the extra cost.
Hopefully will end up being a good choice - but HAS to be miles better than the POS I've been suffering.
Old 07-10-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wooders from memory the new Speedglas has a grind mode, you have to
hold 2 buttons and it won't darken. The are also impact rated. I use to have
a XX and you just can't beat that view.
Old 11-11-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts

i have had 2 speedglas welding helmets first one lasted 8 years second one 12 years and still going strong use it everyday never let me down ..
mine is a... xl with large screen auto man sensitivity and 9 to 13 shades. and you can grind with it on .. love it
i have tried many other ones you get what you pay for ...
Old 12-11-2011
i am the CIG

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

gents i have just gone through and deleated some of the off topic general commements from the thread ,
please do not take offence i just want to claen it up as per my origina lpost

Proud member of the "She'll Be Right" Gang
yes LEZ is my brother
Old 25-05-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JeepFamily View Post
Wooders from memory the new Speedglas has a grind mode, you have to
hold 2 buttons and it won't darken. The are also impact rated. I use to have
a XX and you just can't beat that view.
my recomondation is to get the flex view attachment. it lets you slide the tinted lense back and grind. its so much faster. i have one that i dont use on the old style 901 speedgas. improved my fabrication speed alot. i hope this helps
Old 25-05-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
yuo could get a cig weld skill 130 amp dc invertor welder they usr 10 amp plugs
just watch the duty cycle on them. we bought one 3 years ago and as a pressure welder i lost my shit at it because they stop and start whenever they want. Opt for an ESAB caddy even second hand they are the welder of choice and the new one has force arc control great for those deep penatration welds
Old 25-05-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgs View Post
Murray - This thread is absolutely tops. In the past I have had access to an industrial mig welder with gas at a friends factory. He is now overseas and I have no access to a welder. So I have to buy one. Essentially I will initially need a welder to move the rear spring buckets on the tj. I also need to cut and weld some rhs on my rear tyre carrier. I don't see a need for welding any critical strength points on the tj (control arms etc) but have absolutely no idea what sort of welder to get. I have used a stick welder on a few occassions in the past and quickly realised that I was spoilt by the gas mig.

Are you able to suggest a relatively inexpensive stick welder that I could buy to use at home (no 15A point)?
we bought a ESAB 130 from IWS wacol it cost 350 and we cut the earth pin to fit 10 amp sockets its a treat. Its a mig and 130 amps is heaps when using 0.6 wire just got to hire some gas and away u go. Im a trade qualified pressure welder with welding tickets ask me anything and ill try my best to help out.
Ben
Post New Thread  Reply