Grand Cherokee wk2 Second Battery - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts

After having time to read many forums and do research etc, I'm seriously considering the Redarc BCDC1240 DC to DC charger that has the solar panel regulator incorporated. Anyone have any negative feedback on this unit?
Most forums show this to be pretty good, although as highlighted below, it mightn't have the ability to reverse charge if the main battery went flat. I carry some jumper leads just in case.
Also having said that, the 220amp alternator in my deisel is a pretty high output charge so hoping I won't have too many instances of having to jump start the motor.

Now that I have my truck and am slowly working out where everything can go, I've used the storage space under the passenger seat (no Quadra Lift) to store my recovery straps, drag chain, shackles etc. Out of the way, but easy to access if needed. (as an aside my dealer advised that my front off road recovery hook is due to be installed in the next week or two - FOC as I ordered in 2011)
I was able to easily remove the plastic inset (that must hold the Quadra Lift unit), fold all of the cables to one side and was left with a nice storage tub with lid.
I initially liked the idea of putting the second battery there, but just couldn't come at the cutting the plastic moulded tub etc.
I like the idea of inverting the spare tyre as this area is a hard space to use given if fully loaded with camping gear, I would have to lift it all out to access this area.
I am also thinking about modiifying the cargo floor plate (that you have to lift up to access the tyre), by cutting small hinged hatches into the top so that I can access the storage tubs around the spare tyre without having to lift everything out. I've done something similar in my boat using strong SS hinges and bracing so I can still stand on it to fish etc. Might be a while til I get to this though - still not too keen to cut or change anything just yet til I know it's absolutely the right thing. Once cut, very hard to glue back.
In the mean time, my second battery is installed into a thumper pack style box that we've installed a 2nd 12v socket and a Anderson plug. My kids have all grown and have their own 4WD toys, so have extra room and I sit the thumper pack in one of 2 locations for now.
1 - on floor behind the drivers seat.
2 - at the very back of the cargo area. I have the Waeco CF50 and it and the battery just fit nicely up against the back seat and the thumper pack behind it facing the rear door. Hope this makes sense and is of help to someone.
Scott

2012 WK2 GC Laredo Diesel with all the goods I can find.
Old 12-04-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts

Not sure I would do this but over on one of the caravan forums one guy placed it beside the rear tyre well underneath the vehicle.

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic...t=1360#p368936
Old 13-04-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

One thing that I quickly became aware of when installing wiring for the brake controller and second battery under the trim in the back - each tie down hook is fixed by 1 only 10 gauge self tapping screw. Scary....
DEFINITELY not suitable to hold down anything, let alone a second battery - unless you are prepared for the tie down hook to rip loose, with all the possible consequences.
Old 15-04-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Default Caravan standby 2nd jeep battery?

[QUOTE=scarps;1276997]After having time to read many forums and do research etc, I'm seriously considering the Redarc BCDC1240 DC to DC charger that has the solar panel regulator incorporated. Anyone have any negative feedback on this unit?
Most forums show this to be pretty good, although as highlighted below, it mightn't have the ability to reverse charge if the main battery went flat. I carry some jumper leads just in case.
Also having said that, the 220amp alternator in my deisel is a pretty high output charge so hoping I won't have too many instances of having to jump start the motor.

I am also trying figure out how to do this?
My Question: 1/ Does the jeep GC have anything built in to handle charging a second battery?
2/ The jeeps second battery type would have to be the genric type? (cant mix wet cell starting batteries with AGM deep cycle?)
I am thinking running a soliniod between the jeeps main and 2nd battery that only works when the ignition is on thereby preventing flattening the main battery.
3/ If the caravan battery flattens attach the anderson leads with ignition off to draw from the 2nd jeep battery. When the motor runs the caravan electrics has a built in charging system for the caravan battery.
4/ A solar system you simply turn on when no 240 volts or car charging is running?
No need for the expensive DC /DC Redarc charges?

Last edited by hotqld; 15-04-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 15-04-2012
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Hotqld, (quote)
I am also trying figure out how to do this?
My Question: 1/ Does the jeep GC have anything built in to handle charging a second battery?
2/ The jeeps second battery type would have to be the genric type? (cant mix wet cell starting batteries with AGM deep cycle?)
I am thinking running a soliniod between the jeeps main and 2nd battery that only works when the ignition is on thereby preventing flattening the main battery.
3/ If the caravan battery flattens attach the anderson leads with ignition off to draw from the 2nd jeep battery. When the motor runs the caravan electrics has a built in charging system for the caravan battery.
4/ A solar system you simply turn on when no 240 volts or car charging is running?
No need for the expensive DC /DC Redarc charges?[/QUOTE]

Answers:-

1. The vehicle altenator will charge your (auxilary) second battery. By fitting a Redarc Isolator it will only allow your auxilary battery to receive a charge AFTER your start battery has been FULLY CHARGED, that's how isolators work.

2. You can put any battery that will fit into the space, the way others have described getting a battery of sufficient A/H rating to fit is the problem, unless you take to your vehicle with an angle grinder and I would not recommend that.

3. Confusion? You should always wire your caravan battery from Anderson Plug to your Auxilary Battery in Parallel so that both auxilary batteries charge at the same time (one in the car and one in the caravan) The caravan battery does not charge from your 240V Battery Charger built into your caravan as it is a 240V to 12V charger (no 240V power no workee!) When you travel with your caravan or have the engine running then it will charge your batteries. OR if you're in a caravan park connected to 240V.

4. If you have a built in solar systen in your caravan, you will also have a solar controller that controls the amount of charge going into your battery (batteries) You can purchase "stand alone" solar panels, however they should have a built in solar controller to stop you battery being "cooked"

5. The need for 12V to 12 V (DC to DC) chargers is a method of boosting the charge to your battery. This in not a necessary requirement with multiple battery systems HOWEVER if you use wiring that is too small for the length of run to the rear of the vehicle then you may need one. Its a little like a home sprinkler system with too small hosing, it ceases to be efficient because not enough water (electricity) can get to where its needed!

My advice to you is to speak to a couple of auto electricians.

Last edited by johnv; 15-04-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thank you for this thread! Knew it was a possibility to do, just glad to see some execution. This is definitely on the list.
Old 02-02-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank-you as well
Post New Thread  Reply