WK2 2012 - Recovery hooks - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The change to the chassis is for the european market and is to meet european pedestrian safety requirements, same as the headlight washers,which are mandatory here with xenon headlights, and few other bits which arent a requirement for usa, although i believe the 2014 usa vehicles will get the washers.
Our vehicles are more or less the same as European models.
Old 06-03-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts

imaz, what year model do you have? We can give you more specific detail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 WK2 GC Laredo Diesel with all the goods I can find.
Old 06-03-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz View Post
Thanks for the clear explaination. Geez... Just as well I didnt buy them.... You mean Jeep would go out to that extent to change a export model chassis specifically for Australian's? No wonder our WK2 is $20-30K more than whats sold in US....

This is ridiculous for the enthusiast 4x4 Guru's...

So - Tow Hooks are rubbish, and ALL should be Recovery points... Anyone have retro fit a recovery point for the fronts of a WK2, AUSTRALIA Model?

I shall assume the rear recovery point on the left is a true recovery point then?
A "tow point" rated at 1.5 the GVM of the vehicle. Toyota only fit factory “tow points”which are not rated. IMO “Recovery points” are an after market term, if the points are rated to take a 2000kg (more) load what's the problem.
Old 06-03-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarps View Post
imaz, what year model do you have? We can give you more specific detail.

WK2 2012 GC, July build(I think). Limited v6.
Old 06-03-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz View Post
WK2 2012 GC, July build(I think). Limited v6.
Thnx, mine was a Jan 2012 build, so I'll provide the following as it relates to the 2012 export model.

Our chasis is shorter than the original 2011 model. If you want to purchase any aftermarket item for the front of your 2012 vehicle (nudgebar, recovery points etc), we can only use items specifically manufactured for the 2012 export european specifications. There are no USA aftermarket items currently available for use in Oz, as they don't have the shorter chasis on any of their US vehicles.

I've seen about 6 explanations for this, but the one I tend to believe is that during 2011, due to the demand for the 4WD, the production line used for the US model (longer front chasis) and our 2011 model (also longer front chasis) was converted solely to US specs to meet the demand.
Remember our WK2's are $15 to $25k cheaper in the USA due to no freight, cheap labour, no 3rd and 4th party wholesalers, shipping company taking a cut on the way etc. So a very affordable car there.

A second production line was being used to manufacture the export European pedestrian safe model with the shorter chasis (without the two front recovery hooks). Demand not as big, so someone made the decision to move the Aus export model production over to this production line (remember shorter chasis). What I believe happened here is that noone involved in this decision making process, realised the ramifications of no front recovery hooks.

The european pedestrian specs as I understand have the rationale that if you hit someone with the front of your car, the plastic moulded front will bruise, but maybe not damage the pedestrian as much as if they were hit with the steel recovery hooks, or the steel chasis immediately behind.
To date noone has been able to convince me that these passenger safety specs actually apply here in Oz, so I believe we are the end users of a production line demand decision as opposed to a safety specs decision.
Why do I think this is the case? Well it looks like the new Trailhawk model coming to OZ, might actually have two red front receover hooks if you go by the pictures.

You can order a rated front recovery hook for your front passenger side that gets hidden behind the plastic cap. So far back that if you hit a pedestrian, it might break their knee

Now the good news is, I've just had my 2012 WK2 front end scanned by Yankee Dave (www.uneek4x4.com.au) for design and manufacture of a winch bar including front skid plate and rated receovery points. Once done, I'll probably list my 1 only recovery hook on ebay for sale.

I have a rear tow bar and the original rear single recovery hook, both with correct use I would use for snatch recovery. Obviously the using the tow bar, I would insert a rated snatch shackle.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure many other people will have alternate views. This is mine, it's real and it's for my 4WD.

2012 WK2 GC Laredo Diesel with all the goods I can find.
Old 06-03-2013
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarps View Post
To date noone has been able to convince me that these passenger safety specs actually apply here in Oz, so I believe we are the end users of a production line demand decision as opposed to a safety specs decision.
In 2011 The Federal Government were going down the path of introducing the Euro pedestrian safety design rules here. But by March that year, they had withdrawn the proposal.

http://www.aaaa.com.au/4wd/news.asp?id=50

Jeep only make a RHD model for export, whether it be UK (euro), Australia, South Africa, etc. So in line with your thoughts of a production line decision, they probably decided to only manufacture one design for the front subframe for all RHD markets. They would have two different LHD subframes. One for euro and export, and one for the Americas.

It will be interesting to see what the Trailhawk has when it gets here.
Old 06-03-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

When I had my ECB bull bar fitted I saw the car with the front end off. I got the offroad adventure pack on my car, so I was expecting to see rated recovery points on the front. But there was nada nil nothing! Anyway when the bull bar was fitted it came with reasonably substantial tow points. Although they are not rated, the guy at Opposite Lock reckons they'll be fine for recovery points, even though they are not certified. So I suppose at least I have something
Post New Thread  Reply