Adaptive cruise control drama - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Adaptive cruise control drama

Just completed a 5000km trip in Western Australia, hit a washout in the road going a little too fast. (Oops!) About 100km later started getting FCW off warning light and a clean radar sensor message. Pulled over and had a look, sensor was loose but secure. Made it to the next location, removed air dam and on closer inspection the 3 plastic clips that hold the sensor adjustment screws had sheared allowing the sensor to move around but still roughly in place. I managed too secure it in place with electrical tape, cable ties and some neoprene as a cushion as I was still 2000km from home and hoped that it would still work. All good at speeds under 60km but any faster it would stop working again. Removed the air dam the next morning and the tape had half melted, probably due to being so close to the radiator. Replaced sensor with twice as much tape as before in as close to original position as I could with the broken clips. Again sensor was ok at low speeds but would drop out intermittently at higher speeds, sometimes working, most of the time displaying FCW off, clean front radar sensor. Rang the dealership, tried to explain the problem to them and confirmed they had replacement plastic clips in stock. Booked car in to be repaired. Once at the dealership they had a look and informed me that they could not re-align sensor and would have to replace the mounting bracket as well. Time 3 week wait for parts ex USA, cost $1000 fitted. Once at home I had a look and the tape, cable ties and neoprene I had used to hold everything in place was still there. Rang the dealership and raised my concerns that they should have fitted the new plastic clips that they had in stock before deciding that the sensor could not be aligned and the mounting bracket would have to be replaced. Drove back to the dealership purchased the 3 new plastic clips for $20.99 each discounted from $25.99. Got home, removed air dam and replaced the 3 plastic clips and the sensor appeared to be back in the original factory position. Re-fitted the air dam and spent 1hr testing the ACC system on the freeway, cycling on and off, changing speeds and follow distance. Luckily all is working fine.

Conclusion,
The plastic clips are a weak link in the system, being mounted in a steel bracket and holding a steel adjustment screw. Hitting the washout caused the car to bottom out shearing the plastic clips. Once the clips were replaced the sensor went back to the factory position (luckily!) I am disappointed that the dealership was too quick to want to replace more than the 3 broken plastic clips at a considerable cost!
The part number for the clips is CH-68085813AA, I have already found them online in the USA for under $7.00 and will be keeping some spares in the glove box from now on.
Old 12-06-2013
Established Member

Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts

That's a good result in the end for you.
Can you post up where you sourced them from. Pretty cheap insurance to keep some spares if you tend to take it offroad, just in case.
CSA Raptors
Old 12-06-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that's a NUTS fix, and finding my self a bit shocked also that the dealership wasn't interested in trying it then finding out that hey it's not going to be re-aligned again for you, at lest if they fitted the parts and then looked at it and discueesed it won't be realigned MAYBE they could rush into buying new $$$$ parts. but without first line thoughts seems almost sad!

this also teaches us, don't drive to fast out whoops whoop!!

also great find and cheap priced parts for others good on you
Old 12-06-2013
Established Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonohalloran View Post
Just completed a 5000km trip in Western Australia, hit a washout in the road going a little too fast. (Oops!) About 100km later started getting FCW off warning light and a clean radar sensor message. Pulled over and had a look, sensor was loose but secure. Made it to the next location, removed air dam and on closer inspection the 3 plastic clips that hold the sensor adjustment screws had sheared allowing the sensor to move around but still roughly in place. I managed too secure it in place with electrical tape, cable ties and some neoprene as a cushion as I was still 2000km from home and hoped that it would still work. All good at speeds under 60km but any faster it would stop working again. Removed the air dam the next morning and the tape had half melted, probably due to being so close to the radiator. Replaced sensor with twice as much tape as before in as close to original position as I could with the broken clips. Again sensor was ok at low speeds but would drop out intermittently at higher speeds, sometimes working, most of the time displaying FCW off, clean front radar sensor. Rang the dealership, tried to explain the problem to them and confirmed they had replacement plastic clips in stock. Booked car in to be repaired. Once at the dealership they had a look and informed me that they could not re-align sensor and would have to replace the mounting bracket as well. Time 3 week wait for parts ex USA, cost $1000 fitted. Once at home I had a look and the tape, cable ties and neoprene I had used to hold everything in place was still there. Rang the dealership and raised my concerns that they should have fitted the new plastic clips that they had in stock before deciding that the sensor could not be aligned and the mounting bracket would have to be replaced. Drove back to the dealership purchased the 3 new plastic clips for $20.99 each discounted from $25.99. Got home, removed air dam and replaced the 3 plastic clips and the sensor appeared to be back in the original factory position. Re-fitted the air dam and spent 1hr testing the ACC system on the freeway, cycling on and off, changing speeds and follow distance. Luckily all is working fine.

Conclusion,
The plastic clips are a weak link in the system, being mounted in a steel bracket and holding a steel adjustment screw. Hitting the washout caused the car to bottom out shearing the plastic clips. Once the clips were replaced the sensor went back to the factory position (luckily!) I am disappointed that the dealership was too quick to want to replace more than the 3 broken plastic clips at a considerable cost!
The part number for the clips is CH-68085813AA, I have already found them online in the USA for under $7.00 and will be keeping some spares in the glove box from now on.
What I think we have to do is to stop making excuses for stealerships and start naming and shaming their thieving practices.

Gazz
Old 12-06-2013
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

This is what happens when you go to dealers mostly, why would anyone be surprised, actually a few other workshops try the same thing, really PMO when I hear about them.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 13-06-2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Adaptive cruise control drama

www.moparpartsoverstock.com
Old 02-06-2016
I just registered

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Woah! this is the exact problem Im having... and yesterday I got quoted the $1000 for new brackets + clips + realignment. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to the dealership to get my plastic brackets and see what I can do.
-BFG AT KO2 265/65/18
Post New Thread  Reply