Service 4wd system? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2020
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Service 4wd system?

Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a 2005 WH Limited CRD. It is showing the "service 4WD message" and is not engaging 4wd. A scan came up with TCM, ABS and BCM issues. All showing U0114 Lost comms with FDCM, U404 and U140E.

All updates have been completed according to Jeep.

I am in Adelaide, not relly sure who to take it to especially with dealers charging $143 an hour.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 08-07-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

This was a huge problem with 2005-2010 Grand Cherokees.World wide N23 safety recall for just this problem.ie transfercase not operating.Google Jeep N23 recall hours of info.Suffice to say that owners stillhaving problems.Many GCs went in for reflash FCDM and NOT done as per FCAs dealer tsb.Some owners put in a second hand FCDM with same part no fixed the problem.Others put in a new shift motor,which is on the side of the transfercase.Try taking off /replace the shift motor electrical connection for a start with key on.Some found that removing shift motor fuse withe key on gave them x4x4.Can not remember which fuse it is.However there were a number of additional recalls and tsb for this problem.If the dealer has not done the last update correctly or it has not been listed as done if checked by the dealer you would have to pay the dealer to do it.Unless they have a guy in the dealership who knows this problem back the front it could cost you hundreds for nothing.Google and see what the last update reflash was for the N23 recall .
Plenty of info on this forum. Under service 4x4 N23 recall.

Last edited by bjm; 08-07-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2020
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Fourth sticky down
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...play.php?f=159
Happy reading

1 of 2 things
1- The N23 was not flashed properly and hence randomly trips 4 low
2- The transfer case motor is actually faulty and needs replacing.

You can use this link to check if they have already done the P73
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

My advice
Have the dealer re-flash the N23 as per the the P73 advice (even if it says its been done).
The key point is they must fit a battery charger and maintain a voltage between 13v and 13.5v.
Here is the details. http://www.wkjeeps.com/recalls/CSN_p73.pdf

Option 2
Just buy the BluDriver app and clear the codes when you get locked out.
Pain I know but it works.
Old 08-07-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

Good advice Clarky,didnt really want to go through all my info ,much of which I only tossed a few weeks ago ,reminded me of the months of agravation with FCA and subsequent court hearings.Which in the end we won.
Old 08-07-2020
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Recalls

Thanks for the info guys,
N23, P73, F20, P41 and F28 are showing as completed.
Talking to a dealer this morning they were talking upto $1800 on a car that showed the same codes just a few weeks ago. I know that doesnt necessarily mean the same problem, just heard so many horror stories from Jeep dealers that i am not sure who to take it to...
Seems to be a bit of a lucky dip as to wether Jeep rip you off or not...
Old 08-07-2020
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quick thought
An under powered (or on its way out) battery will cause a lot of phantom codes so make sure the battery is good and around the 800cca mark.
Old 08-07-2020
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Its got a new 850cca battery in it unfortunately. I had a mechanic do a scan today, cleared the codes but service 4wd didnt go anywhere and the codes showed back up a minute later...
Post New Thread  Reply