2015 GC Factory Stereo Upgrade to 2018 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-07-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Thumbs up 2015 GC Factory Stereo Upgrade to 2018 w Apple Car Play

Hi guys!

Thought I would share my update I undertook on my 2015 GC ecodiesel.
I updated my stereo with one from a wrecked 2018 Compass limited.
I decided to do this as I wanted Apple car play and new Sat Nav as the seriously outdated maps on my RA3( unofficially hacked to enable Sat Nav) were starting to annoy me.
New Screens are manufactured by Panasonic and are full touch screen including pinch to zoom.
Found out about this from a few posts on Jeep Garage forums.
I love the result from this upgrade and all current functions work plus Apple car Play.

1. Firstly you need to find a Uconnect screen from 2018 or newer Jeep model.

2. Confirm if the screen is a 8.4” size and a Uconnect 4 Model. To do this entered the vin details in to this site and checked the build sheet under the Optional Equipment section for the key words: ‘Uconnect 4 NAV with 8.4" Display’ and ‘Apple CarPlay’. https://www.farkistan.org/votsws.php

3. Obtain ( I paid $300 from local wreckers) Uconnect screen and bezels if different to your model ( I believe 2020 uconnect is a 2 bezel unit) Also need to obtain the media hub. The media hub is the USB and Aux input device in the dash area. (As my upgrade screen was from a Compass their media hub is a different shape I just installed this behind the existing media hub in the centre stack below the stereo and ran the phone cable out the side.) Also try to obtain the new screen from a vehicle with the same or higher spec accessories ie Sat nav as all this will be enabled.

4. Record Uconnect serial numbers and model numbers before install.

5. Remove you existing Uconnect stereo. All plugs will swap from one to the other. One plug did not fit the new screen but read this is a second radio aerial not needed. Install new screen.

6. Install media hub or Apple car play will not work.

7. Turn car on, The screen will boot up quickly and ask for Anti-theft code.
I obtained this code from this site, https://www.carstereocode.com/unlock.php?mk=62 I thought I was going to get ripped off but the code worked and cost me $22.00 Aud. Selected CHRYSLER, PANASONIC, Uconnect 8.4 UAQ, 68332802AAT. I contacted IVG as they did not list my exact part number and received a prompt response that all they really need is CHRYSLER, PANASONIC, Uconnect 8.4 and the serial number.
So I paid via PayPal and had the Anti-theft code turn up in my email in about 5 mins.
Entered it into the screen and it worked.

8. Time to go thru all the screens and check all your options work, Sat nav, heated seats DAB etc.

9. If items aren’t there try to turn the car off and wait a couple minutes. It sometimes takes a few start ups for all the info to come from the Body Control Module.

10. Now check all settings as all the previous owners info / personalisation will still be there.

Disclaimer* I have read that 2014 models may need an extra module to work. Research this on this American site called Infotainment. https://www.infotainment.com/collect...=5267452756004

Further Disclaimer, I am recording my experience and how it work for me.

Last edited by dam27; 28-05-2022 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old 11-11-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 128 Times in 76 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Let me be the first to give you a big thumbs up. Well done man.

Now if only I can find a 2018+ stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2020
Senior Newbie

Thanks John_char, best mod I have done so far.
Old 11-11-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 128 Times in 76 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

No worries Dam27.

The wreckers are onto this mod now. They want $1300 for a 2018 head unit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

I take it Android Auto is also present?
Old 11-11-2020
Senior Newbie

I assume Android Auto is but we are an Apple family so haven’t tried.
Old 16-01-2022
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam27 View Post
Hi guys!

7. Turn car on, The screen will boot up quickly and ask for Anti-theft code.
I obtained this code from this site, https://www.carstereocode.com/unlock.php?mk=62 I thought I was going to get ripped off but the code worked and cost me $22.00 Aud. Selected CHRYSLER, PANASONIC, Uconnect 8.4 UAQ, 68332802AAT. I contacted IVG as they did not list my exact part number and received a prompt response that all they really need is CHRYSLER, PANASONIC, Uconnect 8.4 and the serial number.
So I paid via PayPal and had the Anti-theft code turn up in my email in about 5 mins.
Entered it into the screen and it worked.
The domain and site links are changed now:

https://www.carstereocode.com/unlock.php?mk=62

Last edited by Rdecode; 13-06-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply