2 Door Sports - spacious for camping? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Its definitely doable as many people do it.

But if your camping style evolves to next level glamping then you will hate your 2 door in the future. No room for extra stuff that you don't need, esp if you plan to take at least 1 passenger with you. So much of our Australian camping culture has become about how much stuff you have to get and bring out camping. So many LandCruiser, Patrol and ute drivers going around these days with 2/3 times more storage capacity than us Wrangler drivers but are running out of space and going over their GVM cos they're buying everything that the magazines and youtube channels say you must have..

If you have a simple and minimalistic camping setup and plan to keep it that way then you'll be fine. The 2 doors are awesome for that style of camping and the best fun to drive offroad.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 10-02-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts

I had a 2 door wrangler 2012 Sahara, I tried everything and it was costly and cumbersome. For instance when I removed the backseat there are no barrier for the camping stuff so I needed a cargo net to secure things, in a 4 door the back seat is the barrier. In my 2 door I bought a hitch and then bought a hitch carrier and tried that, problem was more money, hits the ground, can not leave it unattended, thefts. I bought a lot of nets and bags that was costly to have everything fit. And sometimes we were 4 I had to install the backseat again.

In 2013 I got a 4 door Rubicon instead, so much easier and I can sleep in it and I am singel. Much easier when shopping foods etc, much more cumbersome to get the bags in a 2 door.

My former 2 door

Comparing my 2 door against a 4 door at a dealer

Old 10-02-2018
Established Member

Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts

Here we are 4 people for a camping trip with my former 2 door, its cumbersome and take alot of time to get al to fit.

Here I am sleeping in my 4 door

Here and my buddy are watching a movie and eating at the evening inside the 4 door abd the shelf in front of us acts like a table and we put our stuff on it and can sleep under it, very nice.

Here are many photos of camping things with my former 2 door

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom...green&page=all

Here is many photos with my 4 doors

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom...ited_&page=all
Old 11-02-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

You're all such a friendly and informative community here, thanks for that. Hopefully I can contribute a little😉

I've bought the 2 door so I'm looking forward to picking it up and sharing a photo or two and definitely taking it camping!
Old 11-02-2018
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hey all,

I've literally just returned from a 4 night camping trip with my 2 door JK. I have the Rhino Rack Backbone tray and am probably considered a novice camper/newbie. Normally, it is just my girlfriend and I getting away for a weekend surf trip. We have managed this efficiently and smoothly. Our weekend kit:
Longboard and short board stacked on the roof rack

Then, I tumble the back seat forward and rope it in with hiking clips (it's actually a motorcycle tie-down for a trailer - works perfect when clipped to the remaining soft-top clips on the roll bar. I run the hard top only). Inside:
1 x 4 person tent
2 x camping chairs
1 x small roll up table
2 x Esky (soft and hard plastic)
Surf bucket/kit with wetsuits etc
1 x 3x3 free standing awning/sunshade. This takes up the most room.
Then bedding, sleeping bags, , clothing bags, food, etc stacked on top of all this gear inside.
Also, I have a small recovery kit, maxx traxx, and compressor mixed in too.
I rope this all down with bungee cords.
Surprisingly, there is plenty of room to spare.

However, this weekend another 2 people joined us. This required that the back seat be available. It definitely limited the space so we just put all of the soft bedding/clothing in a Rhino Rack luggage bag on top. I purchased the Rhino Rack at Autobarn when they had a special happening and went for the "half" bag. It worked perfectly and I highly recommend it.

So, in conclusion, the 2 door is more than capable for 2 people with plenty of gear. Also capable for a weekend away with 4 people and all of the extras that go with that (2nd tent, sports bag, etc.). The only downside was exit entry for the backseat people as we were in and out all day every day, beach driving, etc. However, this will be rare for us as the visitors are from overseas so it won't be a regular occurrence.

Side note: the stock tires are more than capable for heavy sand beach driving. The JK powered through some challening terrain when fully loaded.

All the best.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2409.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	77093  

Last edited by Wallis; 11-02-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2018
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Oops, sorry. I'm not sure why but the photo has uploaded upside down. Not sure how to fix it!
Old 12-02-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

This bloke crossed the Simpson Desert in his JK 2dr with his girlfriend, he does not have all the fancy stuff, just packed smart and light.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Post New Thread  Reply