Axle seal again?! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-12-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 82 Times in 69 Posts

the factory cover does not have a drain plug. only a filler plug. If the diff breather & its extension hose is blocked, the diff will pressurize cause oil leaks. check for mud wasp nests in the hose. I had a big one recently completely block my snorkel up inside the air ram.
Old 23-12-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

you after so many years a seal can/does mark the area it runs on , so many time I have seen people replace a seal and they leak after a few months l@@k at where the seal runs on (the inner) and see if the surface the seal runs on is level .
Old 26-12-2014
Established Member

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbinator View Post
There has been heaps of oil coming out of the breather tube. I'm fairly certain is has had another diff cover on it because there is no drain plug on the diff or the cover and I think the old cover had the drain plug on it. So do I replace the seal then instead of filing the diff to the filler hole of the diff cover I find out the recommended amount of oil needed and just put that in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can lower oil level. also you can remove the fitting in the rear diff that the breather hose connects to (goes through the brake line splitter block) and grind it back to the start of the thread using a grinder. That way it will have more clearance off the axle. When you pull out pass side axle look in the axle tube and you can see it, and how close it is to the axle.
Old 26-12-2014
Established Member

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Now that I think back on it when I replaced the seal it was fairly loose in the housing, how would I fix this

Old 27-12-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 94 Times in 69 Posts

http://www.crownautomotive.net/produ...s/D44TJBK.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbinator View Post
Now that I think back on it when I replaced the seal it was fairly loose in the housing
Yeah this is a very common problem with the D44 axle seals and from new on our TJ the Jeep dealer replaced it starting at the first 1200k service & each 12,000k service after that.

A few years ago I replaced it with the Crown Auto kit and as you can see from the above link that the retainer it heaps thicker so doesn't flex or distort and keeps the seal tight in the axle housing(I use a loctite RTV to help seal it). Now say this it still may not fix your problems because you could have a wear grove on your axle so a speedy sleeve should fix that.

Crown Auto won't deal direct but Rock Auto should have this kit

Hope my fix will help you but no guarantees

BIGGER IS ONLY BIGGER
the nut's behind the wheel make all the difference
Old 27-12-2014
Established Member

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCJ View Post
http://www.crownautomotive.net/produ...s/D44TJBK.html

Yeah this is a very common problem with the D44 axle seals and from new the Jeep dealer replaced it starting at the first 1200k service & each 12,000k service after that.

A few years ago I replaced it with the Crown Auto kit and as you can see from the above link that the retainer it heaps thicker so doesn't flex or distort and keeps the seal tight in the axle housing(I use a loctite RTV to help seal it). Now say this it still may not fix your problems because you could have a wear grove on your axle so a speedy sleeve should fix that.

Crown Auto won't deal direct but Rock Auto should have this kit

Hope my fix will help you but no guarantees

Much appreciated, I will give it a go

Old 27-12-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 94 Times in 69 Posts

Lol I thought I was the only bloke up at this time of night

http://www.4x4truckland.com/crown-au...t-bearing-kit/

Found this link for you tho not Rock Auto

Cheers, CJ