WK2 Off Road Tyres - Page 87 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-09-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsyandme View Post
If anyone is interested I have the following for sale

275/65R18 Cooper STT Pros x5 done less than 1000km's
275/65R18 Cooper AT 3 x4 done 3000km's

Located Caulfield South Victoria PM for more details
Can't PM you. What are the details please?
Old 28-09-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg View Post
For example in the Yoko Geolandar ATS G012 (which is NOT an ‘LT’) which I’m considering, the 275/65 has a load index of 123 (1550kg/tyre) vs the 265/65 at 113 (1150 kg/tyre) which would indicate that the 275 would have a much stiffer sidewall and should hopefully be better in terms of overall strength and when lowering tyre pressures.

LT isn't a strict definition, it's all about the load rating / marketing of the construction.

99% sure that the 123 rated tyre you mentioned is considered LT though, regardless of what the vendor says. It's certainly marketed that way in the USA.

Also, unless you heavily load your Jeep and often drive around on GVM or above i'm not convinced that LT are the best things for Grand Cherokee. Depending on the tyre it's a big sacrifice in comfort going for the higher load rating, but this is just my opinion, no one will agree.
Old 29-09-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts

Just recently installed BFG 275/65 r18 KO2 on vehicle. Very happy so far, quite surprised at how minimal tyre noise is.
Old 29-09-2016

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
LT isn't a strict definition, it's all about the load rating / marketing of the construction.

99% sure that the 123 rated tyre you mentioned is considered LT though, regardless of what the vendor says. It's certainly marketed that way in the USA.

Also, unless you heavily load your Jeep and often drive around on GVM or above i'm not convinced that LT are the best things for Grand Cherokee. Depending on the tyre it's a big sacrifice in comfort going for the higher load rating, but this is just my opinion, no one will agree.
Thanks Doc. Confirms what I was thinking, and as you say, it seems the 'LT' thing may be a bit of an Americanism. I looked at the US Yokohama website and they classify the similar load index Geo ATS as 'LT' but no such reference here.

Have to say that I hadn't really considered the potential for harsher ride with a higher load index. Tyres are also 5kg heavier too... the next set of tyres I buy will be doing a 4 week trip to Cape York so I'm still leaning toward the 275. Can get 4 for $1080 with 3 for 4 deal.

As a side note I saw the new G015 AT which replaces the G012 ATS is out in the states but no on sale date here. Local Bob Jane had only just heard of them and they reckon next year at earliest.
Old 30-09-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If you are doing a trip where you know the tyres will get a proper beating, you are probably best off with the heavier/LT tyres, did you look at the Hankooks? I've been loving mine. (275/65r18 atm rf10)
Old 30-09-2016

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
If you are doing a trip where you know the tyres will get a proper beating, you are probably best off with the heavier/LT tyres, did you look at the Hankooks? I've been loving mine. (275/65r18 atm rf10)
Haven't really looked at them but will do before purchasing.
Thanks.
Old 30-09-2016
Established Member

Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Also recently added BFG KO2 265/65/18's and very happy with them. Obviously you will notice the minimal road noise over the std road based tyres though no real noisier than my wifes BMW runflat tyres.
Big difference in handling offroad and they look great too. A little bit pricey over other brands, they were $415 ea. I think, though cheaper than the Cooper ST Max.