WK2 ARB Bullbar - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: Which is the best bullbar on the market?
ARB 27 45.00%
TJM 1 1.67%
Ironman 2 3.33%
Other 30 50.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-10-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Default WK2 ARB Bullbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correy View Post
Actually Yoda the height of the bar will have a significant impact on the approach angle. Whilst I don't have measurements it does look like the centre of the Uneek bar sits significantly lower than the ARB bar. Both bars contain and protect the precious washer bottle and compressor but the ARB has less of an angle on the upswept wings thus keeping the bottom of the bar higher off the ground. The Uneek bar does however seem to offer improved approach angles over original factory bumper.
Really it's going to come down to a few choices for each individual. Steel or alloy? Recovery or no recovery points (ARB is on driver side rated to 4.5t same as Jeep recovery hook but not recommended for recovery. Yet to investigate if aftermarket points can be fitted with this bar)? Which style do I like?
Both are decent bars worthy of praise. Good luck with your choices people. I know I'm yet to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Hi Correy.
I think your definition on significant and mine might be a little different , looking at the pics of both bars and measuring off my Uneek bar to where the ARB bar sits, I estimate there is @60mm difference in the hight of the centre section of the two bars (with out having the measured thickness of the ARB bar), I am thinking the two bars are very similar in the centre beam thickness) the Uneek bar protrudes 145mm out from the bumper (going to assume the ARB bar is very similar) so at @60mm lower over @145mm protrusion I would be very surprised if there was 5mm difference in approach clearance, if you have seen a wk with its bumper off you will know that the washer bottle sits with @ half of it below the Uneek bar (this would be worse with the ARB bar) and is protected by the skid plates that come with each bar, it is the washer bottle and air compressor that have limited both Uneek and ARB from improving the approach angle any better than they have. here is a pic of while I was installing my Uneek bar, note on the right hand side of the pic the washer bottle and how it sits almost as low as the lower cross member and slightly in front of it this and the compressor for air suspension models is the main limiting factor for approach angle, I'm not saying the 2 bars have the same clearance and the ARB bar is probably slightly better but it's going to be by such a small amount I don't think it will be a deciding factor, the decision will be on how you like the look of each bar and the price

Last edited by yoda42; 27-10-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 27-10-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default WK2 ARB Bullbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda42 View Post
Hi Correy.
I think your definition on significant and mine might be a little different , looking at the pics of both bars and measuring off my Uneek bar to where the ARB bar sits, I estimate there is @60mm difference in the hight of the centre section of the two bars (with out having the measured thickness of the ARB bar), I am thinking the two bars are very similar in the centre beam thickness) the Uneek bar protrudes 145mm out from the bumper (going to assume the ARB bar is very similar) so at @60mm lower over @145mm protrusion I would be very surprised if there was 5mm difference in approach clearance, if you have seen a wk with its bumper off you will know that the washer bottle sits with @ half of it below the Uneek bar (this would be worse with the ARB bar) and is protected by the skid plates that come with each bar, it is the washer bottle and air compressor that have limited both Uneek and ARB from improving the approach angle any better than they have. here is a pic of while I was installing my Uneek bar, note on the right hand side of the pic the washer bottle and how it sits almost as low as the lower cross member and slightly in front of it this and the compressor for air suspension models is the main limiting factor for approach angle, I'm not saying the 2 bars have the same clearance and the ARB bar is probably slightly better but it's going to be by such a small amount I don't think it will be a deciding factor, the decision will be on how you like the look of each bar and the price
It would appear our definitions of significant might be different. Also the way we seem to be measuring the clearance.
The ARB bar also protrudes 145mm. Thus given both bars seem to about the same thickness and the Uneek bars seems to sit about 60mm lower (that's almost 2 & 1/2 inches) at the top edge then it will also sit 60mm lower on the bottom edge. Not sure where you are finding the 5mm from but Pythagoras says it will be the same 60mm. Now if we are talking clearance that is significant. By memory you are running a 55mm lift all round on your rig. Surely you would have perceived some 'significant' gain in doing that or why bother!? My previous post wasn't to argue your point but to clarify that there is a difference and I believe when talking clearance 2 & 1/2 inches is significant. All that aside the more important thing in this case is actually the approach angle (as was originally asked). Not sure but would be very interested to know the approach angle of the Uneek bar. The ARB bar has taken the standard 26degrees to 34 degrees on standard coil suspension. If you can find the Uneek angle we can compare apples with apples. The shapes of the bars will have as much impact on the angle as the size.
As you can see while the main part of the bars is about the same the Uneek bar is stepped with a much greater angle on the wings. This is why it sits lower over all and as you say doesn't quite cover the washer bottle.
You may also note that I didn't mention approach as a significant consideration in choosing a bar. I don't really think they will be too far off and the vehicle already has a good approach angle.
I did however say that 1.material (ie weight and strength), 2. recovery options and 3. style will be the key considerations. Good point that price may be another key consideration with the Uneek bar at $2350 and the ARB bar at $1966.

Cheers

Old 27-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Don't forget, the ARB bar comes with one "tow point" and the winch cradle is an optional extra.

On the Uneek 4X4 bar, the cradle is standard and it comes with two recovery points.

The washer bottle and QuadraLift compressor on mine seem to be protected...

Cheers
Numb Thumbs

Last edited by Numb Thumbs; 27-10-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 27-10-2013
Established Member

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

Hi All,
Just some info to add to the thread
Approach angle on the product spec I got when I ordered my ARB bar last week is quoted "Approach angle is improved from 26 deg to 34 deg on the standard coil suspension" and "The bar adds 145mm to the O/A length of the vehicle including the buffers"

Cheers
Old 27-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Default WK2 ARB Bullbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correy View Post
It would appear our definitions of significant might be different. Also the way we seem to be measuring the clearance.
The ARB bar also protrudes 145mm. Thus given both bars seem to about the same thickness and the Uneek bars seems to sit about 60mm lower (that's almost 2 & 1/2 inches) at the top edge then it will also sit 60mm lower on the bottom edge. Not sure where you are finding the 5mm from but Pythagoras says it will be the same 60mm. Now if we are talking clearance that is significant. By memory you are running a 55mm lift all round on your rig. Surely you would have perceived some 'significant' gain in doing that or why bother!? My previous post wasn't to argue your point but to clarify that there is a difference and I believe when talking clearance 2 & 1/2 inches is significant. All that aside the more important thing in this case is actually the approach angle (as was originally asked). Not sure but would be very interested to know the approach angle of the Uneek bar. The ARB bar has taken the standard 26degrees to 34 degrees on standard coil suspension. If you can find the Uneek angle we can compare apples with apples. The shapes of the bars will have as much impact on the angle as the size.
As you can see while the main part of the bars is about the same the Uneek bar is stepped with a much greater angle on the wings. This is why it sits lower over all and as you say doesn't quite cover the washer bottle.
You may also note that I didn't mention approach as a significant consideration in choosing a bar. I don't really think they will be too far off and the vehicle already has a good approach angle.
I did however say that 1.material (ie weight and strength), 2. recovery options and 3. style will be the key considerations. Good point that price may be another key consideration with the Uneek bar at $2350 and the ARB bar at $1966.

Cheers

Correy, I think you need to revisit your math, the only thing that stays constant when using Pythagoras is the 90 degree angle the other angles change as you change the length of the sides of the triangle, my answer to the original question still stands there will be such a small difference to approach angle between the two bars it's not really a factor in a decision between the two bars, what has my Murchison products lift got to do with this conversation, yes I want to have better approach, ramp over and departure angles in other words ground clearance so my GC performers Better off-road, but that makes no difference to the approach angle difference between the two bars that's completely down to the form factor of the two bars, and take those approach angles quoted by ARB as a guide as it will vary with model, engine type, accessories and individual vehicle, the Uneek bar also improved approach angle over stock so either bar is a win, I still say the main factors in a decision between the two bars will be looks and price, and ARB will have a small advantage in offering a non winch bar option that is cheaper, has any one got a price for the ARB winch bar version to compare to the Uneek bar?
Old 27-10-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default WK2 ARB Bullbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda42 View Post
Correy, I think you need to revisit your math, the only thing that stays constant when using Pythagoras is the 90 degree angle the other angles change as you change the length of the sides of the triangle, my answer to the original question still stands there will be such a small difference to approach angle between the two bars it's not really a factor in a decision between the two bars, what has my Murchison products lift got to do with this conversation, yes I want to have better approach, ramp over and departure angles in other words ground clearance so my GC performers Better off-road, but that makes no difference to the approach angle difference between the two bars that's completely down to the form factor of the two bars, and take those approach angles quoted by ARB as a guide as it will vary with model, engine type, accessories and individual vehicle, the Uneek bar also improved approach angle over stock so either bar is a win, I still say the main factors in a decision between the two bars will be looks and price, and ARB will have a small advantage in offering a non winch bar option that is cheaper, has any one got a price for the ARB winch bar version to compare to the Uneek bar?
Yoda my math is fine. You may however need to revisit your logic and/or English since are either not reading my posts or trying to argue by agreeing with me.
The fact is the height at which a bar sits will effect the approach angle.
The Uneek bar definitely seems to sit lower. Another fact is your 60mm estimate will never equate to 5mm in the end result. You see as we both agree that the vertical side of each bar is approximately the same (thickness of the bar) and they are both 145mm deep and there is a 90 degree angle between these two sides the 60mm (your estimate) deference between the tops of the bars will transfer directly to the bottom of the two bars.
The relevance of your Murchison products lift was to demonstrate the 'significance' of 60mm when we are talking about any form of clearance since you seem to disagree with my definition of 'significant'. If you still think 60mm is significant drop your rig by 60mm and come back and tell me 60mm is insignificant.
Approach angles will vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on mods. Front bar being one of these variables. If there is 60mm difference between the two bars then it needs to be factored in not magically changed to 5mm.
I will say again to you that legible the 60mm WILL effect the approach angle I don't believe it is a major factor.
I don't think you can dismiss the weight or strength of the bar as a deciding factor. (During the development of the Uneek bar there was a lot of talk about alloy vs steel and if you read back you will see there were a number of people that definitely wanted a steel bar. Recovery points are also a significant factor as I stated in my first post the ARB bar only has a 4.5t tow point on the driver side. This won't suit a lot people. Then there is the style or look of the bar which we both seem to agree on. Price may be a factor but with only a few hundred dollars between them (less once you add in arb's winch kit if required) on a vehicle worth tens of thousands of dollars I don't think it will be as significant as weight/strength or recovery options.
They are both great bars and we agree that both will be an improvement on standard. But each bar will suit different people and different purposes.

You are clearly a Uneek advocate and I can understand why. Dave has done some great work supporting the WK2 and wider jeep community. He is to be applauded for it.
You should not however key that passion for his products get in the way of the facts.
At no point was I rubbishing the Uneek bar, I think it is great. It just doesn't win hands down on each category and at an estimate approach angle MAY be one of those.
Like I said in the first post. I'm still deciding which is going to suit my needs the best.
Cheers

Old 27-10-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default WK2 ARB Bullbar

Yoda, being impartial and factual shouldn't be a crime.
Chill out. You see anger is the path to dark side.

Post New Thread  Reply