"Camping Trailer" not "Camper Trailer" - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Camping suggestions
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-07-2007
RIP 1.12.07

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool "Camping Trailer" not "Camper Trailer"

Hey all.

I am struggling to find a decent trailer for the TJ.

Essentially what I want is a strong 6x4 with a lid. Preferably deep enough to keep a jerry or 7 of fuel in there with the lid down.

Basically I want a trailer that will tow well, and I can load up with tents, water, camping gear for the quick weekend getaway.

I have an old 8x4 made from trusty railway steel that'll never break for other duties, so this one will be for play only, as such, I'd like it to look half respectable, ideally silver body with black top 9to match the TJ , have the same stud pattern etc etc.

Have seen a few interesting options up Brisvegas way, but not alot down south here in SA.

Any suggestions people?
Old 13-07-2007
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

Why not talk to some of the camper trailer builders - many of them sell the trailer "dry" ie without all the tent gear. You get a solid off road trailer with provision for jerrys on the side, water tank underneath if required and so on.

Tambo campers do it fo $3150 for their Cooper camper http://www.tambocampers.com.au/Cooper.html - then add options such as water tank & kitchen based on the website price list. We're looking at this option ourselves for the trips where the caravan won't go.
Old 14-07-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Have you considered O'briens offroad trailers

Basically they make customs based on existing designs. They will match the track, tyres, rims to the tow vehicle plus put what else in you like and leave out what you don't.

In the next we\ek or so I should be picking up my KJ matched Butterfly camper from them. Can't wait!

Web wise they are at www.obrienstrailers.com.au and the factory is in Dandenong Vic., so a bit closer to Adelaide than Brisvegas. They do come up secondhand sometimes and I have been told that track/rim/wheel/tyre conversion to another vehicle generally runs around $800.

Good luck trailer hunting. Might see you on a track somewhere as I get back home to SA from time to time and am enjoying exploring the 4WD tracks now that I am better equipped.
Old 14-07-2007
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

CJ, I have been through the camper trailer to caravan thing. Got adventurous and started going out into the desert with a Magna station wagon - cardigan and all. I decided to build my own camping trailer after I got sick of putting up a tent on wheels every night, the hassle of pulling a caravan (which didn't like the desert) and over-inflated prices that could see you travel to the moon and back. I had made for me a heavy 6x4 heavy duty trailer with 15 inch sides (can you guess how old I am), a six foot draw bar (reinforced); electric brakes on a 45mm square axle wearing 16 inch Ford rims and 7 leaf springs. Two spare tyre brackets were added and four jerry can holders. All up, the trailer cost me $1750 on the road. I then built an 8 foot x 4 foot x 4 foot camping box (2 feet of which hangs over the draw bar' hence its length). The box is made of 15 mm CD structural plywood top bottom and side, all of which are glued and screwed. The box sits inside the trailer to which it is bolted (4 bolts). The cabin is able to accommodate a single mattress (inner spring too, for total comfort). I have fitted a 60 litre water tank within the cabin ceiling and have also built 4 slide out drawers that contain food, cooking gear etc plus a shelf with a pull out stove. I wired it all up to be powered either by the car battery or by stand alone battery power (via one of those combination units available at car part stores). I have taken this to Bourke and back (or to the back o' Bourke if you prefer) and it was a ripper. Light to tow, comfortable, dry and not needing any set up time at all. I have also fitted two stabiliser legs at the rear to stop too much wobble during ardent times with the passenger.Might need to lose a spring leaf to stop too much bounce. All up, the total rig cost me $3200 to build and say another $500 to fit out (most of the gear of which I already had). An equivalent set up would cost a minimum of $10K. Soon, I intend to stick some solar panels and improve the power set up so that it is more stand alone than at present. Might be worth a thought for you if you are handy.
Old 16-07-2007
RIP 1.12.07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby View Post
Might be worth a thought for you if you are handy.
The more I look into what is available, and themore time I have to consider what it is that I actually want . . the more I think I am going to have to do it my way.

I am sure I can make space in my shed(s) for a trailer project!, I mean why not, I am sure my wife will tell me there's at least 10 other incomplete projects I can push out of the way

Am thinking that I will buy a basic heavy duty 6x4 with 18inch deep walls (Yes 15 inches means alot more than 375mm to me too ), add some form of hinged lid

I wonder, . . if I cut the pointy end of an old tinnie (boat not beer) and stick it upside down on the 6x4 . . . .
Old 16-07-2007
Yeah I bought another one

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Nah, keep the pointy end on.
See if ya can find one of these old army units, mine has come through ww2 and another 60 years of sitting in paddocks /farm sheds and has survived pretty well.
Its a "project" that has been in the pipeline for several years Just bought a rooptop tent for it and will sort the rest of my camping gear to fit out as a tidy little camper.
Its moved every thing from live stock to rocks to beer kegs and tows like a dream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	20654   Click image for larger version

Name:	BoinkTarp3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	20655  
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.

Last edited by Gildo; 16-07-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 16-07-2007
HydroKing

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

The mob that i bought my "Camping Trailor" from earlier this year had a 6x4 trailor there with a curved moulded plastic lid and slimline roofracks fitted to it. It looked pretty cool and was going brand new for under $1300.