Vents vs scoops - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2013
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts
Default Re: Vents vs scoops

At lowspeed or stopped you are only relying on the fan to move air and there is no, or neglible, pressure differential between inside and outside the engine bay.
Fan volumes can normally exit around the sides of the engine and most fan clutches do not lock up at idle speeds as the temps are too low to promote lockup of the viscous clutch.

At speeds above 50kms per hour the pressure buildup in the front of the vehicle creates a differential and more air moves through the radiator than with just a fan. At some point the fan becomes more of a hinderance to cooling than a help, if you can exit the pressure buildup under the bonnet - which is what louvres provide (a lower pressure exit point).
Old 04-08-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

When I did my testing I put strips of material on each louvre and observed what the louvres did whilst driving.
At rest with the engine running the strips stood upright due to the air being pushed out of the vents, once a speed of around 50kmh was acheived or above the strips were forced back into the vents, this air being pushed back in becomes a hinderance to the cooling system making it less efficient.
This is why raising a bonnet will actually cause temps to be higher at highway speeds then with a stock arrangement, this I tested to confirm.
These vents were located at the rear of the bonnet which at speed is a high pressure zone so this is what you would expect to happen.
If you want increased airflow through the radiator a rear facing vent at the front of the bonnet in low pressure area will be of benefit.

Currently I am running a stock bonnet again due to the fact I wasn't happy with the paint job I did on the vented one but I intend to return to it with the same vents in the same position...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 04-08-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
At lowspeed or stopped you are only relying on the fan to move air and there is no, or neglible, pressure differential between inside and outside the engine bay.
Fan volumes can normally exit around the sides of the engine and most fan clutches do not lock up at idle speeds as the temps are too low to promote lockup of the viscous clutch.

At speeds above 50kms per hour the pressure buildup in the front of the vehicle creates a differential and more air moves through the radiator than with just a fan. At some point the fan becomes more of a hinderance to cooling than a help, if you can exit the pressure buildup under the bonnet - which is what louvres provide (a lower pressure exit point).
I find this unlikely. If there is a contrast in heat there is always a pressure differential. And is there’s a pressure differential there’s is air flow.

A vented hood on a car at rest will allow dense cool air to enter the engine bay displacing the hot air. Because hot air has a low pressure and is lighter (hot air ballon) it will rise. As jungle juice pointed out using the strips of material. This can be made more efficient by testing the pressure differentials in the engine bay itself to complement the convection cycle of the engine bay and venting at its highest temp/lowest pressure. It would also be improved by having vents located for cold air intake and separate vents to allow the exhaust of hot air. This would allow for nice directional air flow.

So air will vent at a standstill regardless of the fan. While you are right about the fan becoming less important at high speeds due to a "ram air" effect the pressure differential becomes even more important. The hot engine will effectively suck cool air in due to the pressure differential. So venting hot air at high speeds is probably less desirable. To a degree.

Junglejuice seeingthe strips forced in to the vents at high speeds is probably a function of air speed and higher pressure at the windshield I would imagine this would have little effect on cooling as the dense cold air would rapidly sink and go beneath the car unable to displace the hot air as it has nowhere to go. As jungle juice said. The reason the temp increases due to lifted hoods is likely due to perturbed air flow this would mean the fan was unable to shift the same volume of air and reduce the heat exchange. Also it would likely limit the amount of air entering through the front as the perturbed air would act as a shield for lack of a better word. You always want air like fluids flowing in one direction.
So well located vents that close at higher speeds are probably the most ideal.

I know this is long but it looked like a fun post.
Old 04-08-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Where's the like button?
Great informative post GariJ
Old 04-08-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepersJeepers View Post
Where's the like button?
Great informative post GariJ
Very kind. Cheers.
Old 04-08-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I be concerned with vents in the bonnet doing river crossings as there is more chance of water getting in the engine bay and electrical system.
I have had my JK in water crossings and the water has come up on the bonnet.:
Old 04-08-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

This is where mine were situated (and will be again)...

It did see some water...

Didn't cause any issues, the position meant that the only things affected by water ie directly underneath the vents were the master cylinder and the AC pipe work....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Post New Thread  Reply