Ticking / Slight Surging - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2021
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Ticking / Slight Surging

Hi guys, Ive got 2 WG's and 02 and an 04. 2.7CRD.

On the 02, Ive had it 6 months. It was sat idle for years, I got it with a gearbox fault, ABS fault and black death - all dealt with & fully serviced and running again - another one saved :0)

Anyways, ive got an odd problem with the 02, I only noticed because I drove them both today and its really noticeable on the 02. Ive done a bit of research but would appreciate some advice...

At tickover the 02 very, very slightly hunts, but only very slightly, it also feels like it wants to lurch forward and backward a bit - hard to explain but foot on brake, at tickover you can feel it lurching / rocking very slightly.

It also ticks continuously when revving, goes away when you throttle off.

Its not a massive problem, but the 04 doesnt do it at all, and I wonder where to start hunting it down... It runs great apart from that.

No codes at all now. 70k miles.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I had that. Replacing the HP pump fixed it. As best I can figure, one of the pump valve modules was failing.

Mine would do it worst when cold. It settled when warm. It progressively got worse, until it would shake intermittently at idle like it had a misfire, even warm. Sometimes it would run fine, sometimes rough.

My HP pump started to leak. I replaced it (exchange overhauled unit) to fix the leak and all the roughness went away.

Rather than randomly replacing your pump (expensive part) based on a post from a random bloke on the internet, you might be wise to remove the HP pump and get it tested.

Sent from my moto g( plus using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2021
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thats great info, thank you random bloke! I knew comeone else must have had the same symptoms & I thought it had to be fuel related. For £20 I will buy a pump rebuild seal kit and give it a go before shelling out coin for a new / exchange one. Will report back!
Old 06-02-2021
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It wasn't the seals causing the problem. It was the valve modules. Seals won't fix it.

Sent from my moto g( plus using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2021
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

I’d be inclined to have the pump tested too. The rebuild kit won’t likely fix the problem in my opinion.

Have you checked for air in the system, replaced filters recently too?
Old 06-02-2021
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh, not the seals.. bugger. Just my luck, nothing has been easy on this old girl.

No air I can see, brand new fuel filter, o rings, and bled recently.
Old 23-04-2021

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

I have exactly the same issue. Very slight surging / hunting. Can confirm replacing the seals doesn't solve it. I might look at a replacement pump if it gets worse but it is liveable for now.
Post New Thread  Reply