In Two Years, You'll Be Able to Buy a (Partially) Self-Driving Jeep - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-09-2018
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default In Two Years, You'll Be Able to Buy a (Partially) Self-Driving Jeep

Self-driving cars are a pretty controversial subject today, even if we don't take into account the news about them crashing or hitting pedestrians that have hit the news in the last couple of months. Some even think of them as something that has the potential to ruin driving for good, literally taking the wheel out of our hands. While this sure has many positive aspects, like finally escaping the tedious and boring task of driving to work each morning, and replacing it with more pleasurable activities like reading the news, drinking coffee, checking out the latest mobile pokie reviews or whatever else you can think of.

No matter how controversial the idea of a completely autonomous car may be, the manufacturers seem to love it - an ever-increasing number of automakers around the world are working on solutions that would give their cars at least a partial autonomy, allowing it to go without being driven. And Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, the company behind the Jeep brand, is apparently one of them - the company has announced the release of a partially self-driving Jeep Grand Cherokee for 2020.

Level 2 self-driving technology

According to the news, the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee will be equipped with Level 2 self-driving technology. This means that the driver will be able to take his or her hands off the wheel, leaving it to the car to accelerate, brake, and steer. This isn't a fully autonomous driving mode, though - the driver has to continuously monitor the vehicle and intervene whenever the autonomous system is not responding properly.

Depending on the applicable regulations in the area where a Level 2 self-driving car is used, the driver may be mandated to keep the hands on the wheel, with sensors monitoring the capability of the driver to intervene whenever needed.

2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee

The company currently calls its upcoming model a "Level 2+", meaning that it will be able to change lanes without any input from the driver. The upcoming models, released in 2021 and beyond, will have "Level 3" autonomous driving capabilities (often referred to as "eyes-off") - these cars will be able to drive fully autonomously in certain situations but will require a driver to be ready to take over whenever needed.

Before the 2020 Jeep is released, the company will start to include a new telematics service in its cars. This will allow the cars to communicate with the company's service platforms and perhaps even integrate with third-party services like Uber, but its most important role will be to connect all the sensors and technologies needed to build a new generation of self-driving vehicles later.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 05-11-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Interesting. The idea is acceptable since Grand Cherokee is rarely used off-road.
Old 05-11-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
Interesting. The idea is acceptable since Grand Cherokee is rarely used off-road.
Not for me. The idea is interesting if they take it to full autonomy and make it work on my modified Rubie.

Love the idea of snoozing on the way to the trail head. Having a great day wheeling, then popping a beer or two watching the world go by as the Jeep drives me home at the end of the day.
Old 16-11-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: YJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I very much doubt you'll be allowed to drink in the car even if it's self-driving. Is this currently even regulated actually?
Old 14-12-2018
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Haha, it would be really nice popping off a can while listening to your music on the road while your jeep takes care of all your road related troubles but i agree that it is not and would not be allowed.

I appreciate the idea and innovation but i would not give up the thrill of driving my jeep by myself...It would suck the fun out of it.
Old 28-02-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It would be cool. I like these cars, but I’m a little worried that the autopilot may make the wrong decision in a critical situation.
Old 29-04-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting idea but there's so many things that could go wrong with this. Plus, where's the fun?
Post New Thread  Reply