XJ Mods VSB 14 - Page 36 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-01-2017
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

They have already made me the new one and sent me the tracking number. Will be interesting to see where the new drive shaft and the older one differ.

Cheers,
Old 23-02-2017
AJOR Gold

Interesting development.

I received the new driveshaft and it was exactly the same as the other one. Articulation was limited to 21-23*. My XJ runs at approx 20* just sitting in the driveway, so this one was bound to bind as well.

I started trawling the internet for clues and found some interesting stuff. There are reports of driveshafts binding when using a greasable center ball. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fr...m-wood-580712/ The greasable socket yoke/ball Spicer 211355x interferes with the yoke at larger articulations as compared to the non greasable Spicer 211544x. I emailed Tom Woods at Custom Drive shafts and he confirmed there was a problem in that area. I also emailed Dave at Olivers and they said they had never had any problems before but is willing to work with me to get it fixed.

I got my original drive shaft and my Olivers drive shaft and swapped center balls. The original drive shaft then lost 5-10* of flex and the Olivers gained the 5-10*. So there is the problem. The greasable ball restricts double cardan flex by binding. Below is a pic of the both types.

Now Olivers used all top of the range Spicer parts and the driveshaft is excellent quality and a great price with great customer support. Its just a Spicer compatibility issue that not everyone has been made aware off and only causes binding in special applications.

I hope to get these shafts rebuilt soon with the better non greasable balls and have them running in the Jeep soon......

More updates to come...
Old 24-02-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
Interesting development.

More updates to come...
If I was the seller, I would very impressed with the free Product Development work you have done for him, and send you another one, or credit the cost of a local driveshaft shop performing the needed mods, and communicating with you to get it right...I may even be so bold as to suggest this to them.

last time I had a driveshaft modded was a while back, but it should be way less than a new one from the USA?

(now that I think back, I had a aftermarket kit on that vehicle, and when a part failed due to a defect in manafacture, and I contacted the seller to discuss it, they were knobs...supposedly reputable business too)
Old 28-03-2017
AJOR Gold

Its been a while, but have been busy, so just driving the XJ with only one driveshaft in the rear. Its an old front double cardan style one. Have been keeping an ear out for vibes, noises etc...

Anyway, it was time to tackle the Olivers double cardan shafts. I had emailed Dave at Olivers a few times with the problem and the solution.. only he just kept ignoring me. Shame really, as i had identified the vibration, lack of articulation etc.. to the greaseable style center ball.

My solution was to remove the non greaseable center ball and rubber cover from the old OEM XJ front shaft and swap it into the Olivers. I also used new non-greaseable uni-joints which replaced the serviceable ones.

I refitted the Olivers back into the rear of the XJ. Its as smooth as silk. So, that is now one problem tackled. I will do the front and test for vibes/noise in a week or two.

I had some noise coming from the front when i was turning.. There where a few loose bolts where the track rod attaches. Tightened everything up and its all quiet again.

Jeep is coming along nicely and i have been doing a lot of small trips testing everything. The Bighorns are a noisy tyre!! The Brown Dog motor mounts (rubber ones) add more vibes through the engine. The 4.88 gearing with 33" tyres is OK, and sits on about 2500rpm at 100kph.

Once i get the front shaft in and running right, its time to do some bush testing.

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2017
AJOR Gold

Found some time to get a few things done. I rebuilt the front Olivers drive shaft using the other center ball and a few new uni joints and then fitted it to the beast. Took her for a bit of a test run and she really is quite smooth. So at the moment, thats that problem going OK, and i can now take her bush for some 4x4 trials.

While i was under there i noticed the ARB rear diff cover was leaking like a bugger... the allen bolts just needed a tighten up. Also, the rear main seal has started leaking. Luckily, Go-Jeep has a good write up and how to fix it, and it will be an easy job.. soon... http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearMain.htm

The Jeep now has some some solid hardware underneath. More reports on the XJ as i get to them... next stop will be a beach run.

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2017
AJOR Gold

Well, if you have read this thread from the beginning, you would know that a lot of work went into a lot of different areas. So here is an update on what i know so far.

Cooling: The Stant thermostat, high flow pump, 3 row radiator, triple fans etc.. have made a huge improvement on cooling. Its got to 40C this year, and so far i have never seen the gauge go over half way. In fact, the cooling system works like a new car. The gauge goes to half way within minutes, and then stays roughly within a few degrees either way the whole time.

Brakes: Replacing the rear cylinders and keeping the shoes adjusted properly, replacing the front calipers and fitting EBC Yellow Stuff pads and having braided lines all around has improved my brakes 100%. Coming home tonight, i pushed down sharply but not really hard on the brake pedal and got the 33" tyres to chirp (even with the ABS). It would hardly stop before the upgrades.

Driveline: There had been some vibes and noise for a long time. Fitting the new double cardan shafts that are balanced and have all new uni joints had sorted the drive line out and made it feel smooth.

Lighting: The 22" light bar is incredible, and makes driving at night so easy. However, it has highlighted how woeful the standard lights are. The headlights need a drastic upgrade. Just using them is like driving with candles. Any suggestions on a bulb upgrade would be appreciated.

I am heading to the beach next weekend with my boy and am going to teach him to drive. Pics and offroad report coming up soon..

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 07-04-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-04-2017
Established Member

Liked 122 Times in 79 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Nice work Alex looks good mate I put these lights in my old girl they make a world of difference

the difference between them

and these are the ones

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/391024118...84.m1436.l2649