Standard WJ ride height - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So, are you all saying that a standard ride height of a wj is 700mm and with the up country lift package makes it 740 or a 2 inch lift from standard? So if you wanted to go higher than that you would be pushing a 3-6 inch lift? Or is 740 standard and a two inch lift would be around 780-790mm from standard? I want a 2-3 inch lift so should I be pushing for 800mm?
Old 08-02-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

No....

Standard ride Height for a WJ/WG with 16" rims (from the bottom lip of the rim to the guard) is around 670mm and if you have the Up-country kit, which most Aussie Jeeps have (except for Overlands), you will sit at about 690mm. However, remember that all suspension sags over time, so most likely you'll be lower than that. Some kits may have you higher at first, then will sag to the correct height.

My WJ has the IRO 3" lift and it sits at an even 745-750mm all round. I have 10mm OME spacers in the back to account for the weight of the LPG tank. So this is 3" (75mm) higher than the stock height, but mine had sagging Up-country suspension, so it only went up by about 60mm. I think you will also find that "some" Australian 2" (actually 40mm or 1&3/5") lift kits will go up almost the same height as they use the Up-country height as the basis, whereas the American kits use the standard ride height as the basis.

I think a 40mm lift or a 3" American lift is about the limit you want to go to before you open yourself to the many problems you can experience with a lifted WJ/WG.

By the way - everyone should be using the measurement between the centre of the wheel hub and the guard, that way it doesn't matter what rim diameter you have, you know you're comparing apples with apples. That's the way the Americans do it on their forums and it works well.

Last edited by Hanna; 10-02-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Wrong measurements!!
Old 09-02-2013
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ok, now I'm confused. I have a 17" rim on 235/65. When I measure from Center of rim to the bottom the the wheel arch, it reads almost 500. I also measured from the bottom of the rim to the wheel arch and it is almost spot on sitting at 740mm. Is that standard height? My build sheet didn't say anything about an upcountry package. I would like a 2" spring and coil lift for now so am I correct in thinking that when I get that the measurement from the bottom of the rim to wheel arch will be 780ish?
Old 09-02-2013
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Here are the official heights from the vehicle compliance info:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep_Height.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	59831
Old 09-02-2013
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Cheers boys!
Old 09-02-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,882 Times in 2,296 Posts

Well I have a supposed 40mm lift bit mines only about 10mm higher than what Bodgie posted from the compliance sheet. I have read somewhere ages ago that WG's here have the Upcountry Pack as standard, probably why standard aftermarket shocks from the states bang and clunk.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 09-02-2013
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I think it is in this thread. I just read that last night and I wanted to verify it with a measurement. So does this mean that when I get a two inch lift, it will actually mean I am getting an American 3" lift? I ask, because some of the pictures of the American GC that I see, it doesn't look like I am far off even with their 2" lifts. I am going to get the wheels and tires when I can afford the lift as well and I want to know what to get to get a two inch lift from what I have now.
Post New Thread  Reply